News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

5 Year Wrap Up (Hey Louie)

Started by Doktor Howl, December 08, 2020, 04:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Louie,

It's been a long cold road since the fall of 2015.  Many smart people have torqued themselves up & spun off to explode in busy intersections.  Trump has arrived, and (presumably) will now be leaving.  Nobody felt the bern.  Mass shootings were a fad that lasted a few years, to say nothing of endless wildfires and a world-spanning plague.  Murder hornets.  You get the idea.  Every day brings another existential threat to our species, and all I can say is

I TOLD YOU SO.

I called all this shit years ago, and I don't even really get to publicly gloat over this sort of prophecy...On account of 80% of my friends ghosted me when I caused some lady undue "emotional labor" by not agreeing that myself, my wife, and my kids were all shit-heeled Nazis because we thought Bernie Sanders was a better candidate than Hillary Clinton.  And NOW I'm told by the few that still speak to me that I'm "too centrist".  HAW HAW!  Fuck you.  I shit on you all.  Go back to kissing on that ass to assuage your guilt for existing.

Whoops.  Got a little sidetracked there.  I meant to talk about 2020 and here I am rehashing old gripes.

But it also occurs to me that that is what 2020 IS.  A collection of old, unaddressed gripes.  Trump is here because of the left/right feud that started with Nixon's Southern Strategy.  The plague is here because half the population (and it is NOT divided along party lines) doesn't trust science because science is hard and they are special little snowflakes.  So they drink kale smoothies or just "walk it off" and won't wear a mask and for SURE won't trust a vaccination (despite the vaccination effort being the largest scientific mobilization in history, dwarfing the Manhattan Project and both sides of the space race combined.)  They don't trust it because they aren't "lemmings" or "sheeple" while you and I stand there watching in horrified awe. 

And so we are doomed by ancient butthurt and ignorance.  But you knew that.

Yours Truly,
Dok

PS:  Louie, if you're one of the people that ghosted me, you can *keep* ghosting me.  You weren't asked by me to make a choice, but you were asked, and I guess you did.  See how that treats you down the road.  Asshole.

Molon Lube

LMNO

I'm at the point where I feel everything that's wrong is "systemic".  But it's like, not exactly the system, it's how we baked bullshit into a pretty good way of doing things since the country began, like making bread with too much salt.  The bread is awful, but you can't do anything about it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on December 08, 2020, 06:49:04 PM
I'm at the point where I feel everything that's wrong is "systemic".  But it's like, not exactly the system, it's how we baked bullshit into a pretty good way of doing things since the country began, like making bread with too much salt.  The bread is awful, but you can't do anything about it.

Not so sure "systemic" rather than "accumulated". 

When you have your horrible Eastern winters, you get those huge snow and salt boogers around each wheel well.  It doesn't mean the car is made out of salt, it just means you have to kick the bastard until it lets go.

Right now, that's 70,000,000 boogers that need kicking until such time as they can wear a mask and get outta my fucking bubble.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

I'll wait for you to get some gloves, so you don't cut yourself on my edgy statement... ready?:

The true systemic problem is man itself.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Johnny on December 08, 2020, 07:35:03 PM

I'll wait for you to get some gloves, so you don't cut yourself on my edgy statement... ready?:

Mankind has done some amazing things, so we know that mankind can do amazing things. 

So we simply stop listening to excuses.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: The Johnny on December 08, 2020, 07:35:03 PM

Cain

All of history is the history of class warfare unaddressed gripes - some old dead guy.

Cramulus

One of the things that puts it all in perspective for me is this twitter:

https://twitter.com/HasBezosDecided/status/1336324689434607618

every day, he answers the question, "Has Jeff Bezos Decided To End World Hunger Today?"

and the answer is "no"

and it really is a choice

he would be remembered for all history, his name would be a euphenism for generosity for centuries

but why should he do it? it's his money, right?

(one day, I pray this argument will sound like peasants saying 'but if we got rid of the king, who'd be in charge--peasants?? look, kings are divine.")

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on December 09, 2020, 01:41:38 PM
One of the things that puts it all in perspective for me is this twitter:

https://twitter.com/HasBezosDecided/status/1336324689434607618

every day, he answers the question, "Has Jeff Bezos Decided To End World Hunger Today?"

and the answer is "no"

and it really is a choice

he would be remembered for all history, his name would be a euphenism for generosity for centuries

but why should he do it? it's his money, right?

(one day, I pray this argument will sound like peasants saying 'but if we got rid of the king, who'd be in charge--peasants?? look, kings are divine.")

Boink!  The cure for ancient butthurt is brand new butthurt.  And throwing Jeff Bezos out of the window for the encouragement of the others is exactly the kind of thing we need to do.

Humans survive on butthurt.  It's in our DNA.  Me may as well make it useful butthurt.
Molon Lube