News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

How to tell if you're in a Cult

Started by Galerson, February 07, 2021, 05:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

This article is shit.

There is one and only one good way to tell if you're in a cult. There are two steps:

Do they want to control your actions and beliefs? If some things are forbidden to say, think or do, that's a red flag. Yes, "initiations" that include this but leave full members free to think/act/say what they want count as red flags as well. EXCEPTION: saying, thinking or doing extremely harmful things. If the end result of your thoughts, actions or words is harm to others, any group is right to shut that shit down. Watch what happens if you spout some Nazi shit round these parts, for instance.

Do they leave open the possibility of being wrong? Note: they might say so and yet move goalposts. If they move goalposts for what constitutes them being wrong, and/or shut down any hint or suggestion they might be wrong, that's a red flag. There are NO exceptions. No one is right all the fucking time, end of story, and anyone claiming to be or making themselves out to be is something to run from if at all possible.

If you have both, it's a cult. Yes, this encompasses most organized religion, many political movements, etc. What most people think of when they think of "cults" is cults focused on short term gain/solutions. But these other groups use the exact same tactics to much longer term ends -- political control, societal influence, legacy. Ditch them all, you'll be better for it.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Hey wait.

How come OUR cult doesn't have sex orgies?
Molon Lube

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Galerson on February 07, 2021, 05:56:45 PM
Here's one good way.

What are others?

Create your own cult, and declare yourself as Supreme Cult Leader for Life (No Backsies).
Once you're SCLfL(NB), the question of whether or not you're in a cult becomes moot, and you can move on to the truly important questions of existence, like "What's for lunch?"
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Galerson

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 08, 2021, 12:27:03 AM
Hey wait.

I guess because you haven't started one.  :lulz:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Galerson on February 09, 2021, 08:44:57 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 08, 2021, 12:27:03 AM
Hey wait.

I guess because you haven't started one.  :lulz:

I feel ripped off.  :tgrr:
Molon Lube

POFP

My Church Leader, Supreme Lord of the Universe Keith Kyles told me words like "Cult" are just psychological traps created by Leftist Cancel Culture, so I'm going to have to disagree with you on principle.
This Certified Popeā„¢ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Drake75