News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

So. Walter White, etc.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 06, 2021, 10:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

I finally binge-watched the entirety of Breaking Bad, El Camino, & Better Call Saul.  Until 3 weeks ago, I had only seen the intro scene to season 1, ep 1 of BB.

It is sort of like trailer park Milton.  It reminds me of Boardwalk Empire, only in boardwalk empire, everyone's a scumbag from the beginning and you don't have to watch them ride the roller coaster down into the sewer (in fact, one minor character in BE has a redemption arc).  But it has the same "there are no good guys" vibe going on.

Frankly, it was depressing as hell, because it is all so familiar (in kind, rather than degree).
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Not seen any Better Call Saul, but BB was some pretty intense protagonist degeneration with very few moments of redemption. Is El Camino the short series with Jessie in thrall to that creepy cartel hitter that took a shine to him?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

What's really depressing is the people who don't realise this and keep insisting that someone (usually Walter) is the "hero". No, he's the protagonist, which is a very different thing altogether.

Cramulus

Some damn good TV writing. I've only seen like 3 episodes of Better Call Saul, but Breaking Bad had me riveted to the chair.

rong

breaking bad is the reason i won't even start any more "binge worthy" series.  i was hooked after the first episode and could do nothing but keep watching until it was over.

better call saul was ok, but i lost interest after a season or two.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"