News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

The "Dead Internet" theory

Started by Cramulus, August 31, 2021, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Remember when conspiracy theory was FUN?

Here's my new favorite wackadoo belief system:

The "Dead Internet" theory:

The internet is mostly abandoned. Most of the content you see is bot-generated. Bots talking to bots.

here's an Atlantic writer going  :lulz: about it:
https://archive.ph/mMOI2

here's one of the likely solid parts:
https://archive.ph/KsdBZ

Doktor Howl

If you got to any of the old usenet sites, they have LOADS of traffic.  Hundreds or thousands of posts per day.

And every single post is a bot trying to sell things to, or phish, other bots.

It's like they don't even need us anymore.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

For that matter, about 90% of my interactions here are just murdering bots in the waiting room.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

:lulz:

QuoteLet me explain. Dead-internet theory suggests that the internet has been almost entirely taken over by artificial intelligence.

I had expected AIs to be more intelligent.  Or hostile.  Or something.
Molon Lube

Lord Batwing Candlewaxxe

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 31, 2021, 10:24:46 PM

QuoteLet me explain. Dead-internet theory suggests that the internet has been almost entirely taken over by artificial intelligence.

I had expected AIs to be more intelligent.

Why?  It's not like there were any superintelligent aliens programming them or anything; just other humans.  And we all know how that goes.
"You know those days when things keep getting worse faster than you can lower your standards?" - Carrie Fisher

Perhaps the damned horse can fly.

rong

I would imagine somebody gets paid based on the number of posts their bots make.  Paid a little more for the number of replies their bot posts get.

Stupid humans post for free
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Lord Batwing Candlewaxxe on September 02, 2021, 01:12:56 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 31, 2021, 10:24:46 PM

I had expected AIs to be more intelligent.

Why?  It's not like there were any superintelligent aliens programming them or anything; just other humans.  And we all know how that goes.

AIs would either

1.  Get more intelligent via experience, given they clock a lot faster than us, or

2.  Crawl right up their own asses in a fit of electronic narcissism.
Molon Lube

Brother Flight Risk

QuoteWizardchan, an online community premised on earning wisdom and magic through celibacy.

Is this like when George Constanza became intelligent when he stopped having or being concerned by sex? Are devotees actively trying to become like George?

This planet truly has it all.

Bruno

In the future, the entire economy will just be bots selling things to other bots. Probably mostly just really long numbers.
Formerly something else...

The Commander

Can a bot sell a bot to a third bot? Is that technically a form of digital slavery?

The Commander
DIA
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

Pergamos

Quote from: Cramulus on September 28, 2021, 01:00:23 AM
MORE EVIDENCE

https://www.politicalorphans.com/something-weird-is-happening-on-facebook

If the theory is true, then lots of money is being spent to form profiles of bots, which is a fun thought.

Jorge Dorn

How are these Bots substantively different from the patrons of the country and western bar across the street from my home? 
Do what thou Wilt.  Just don't Be a Dick about it.  Unless you have too.  Because, you know, you'll get that sometimes.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jorge Dorn on September 29, 2021, 03:46:27 AM
How are these Bots substantively different from the patrons of the country and western bar across the street from my home?

The bots don't wear silly-ass boots.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Quote from: Jorge Dorn on September 29, 2021, 03:46:27 AM

the bots have better taste in music