News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

25 Anti Mimetic Tactics for living a Counter Cultural Life

Started by Cramulus, January 02, 2022, 02:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I really enjoyed this article. It has a lot of good juice for breaking out of the algorithm.

Would love to know how it strikes you spags.

https://www.epsilontheory.com/25-anti-mimetic-tactics-for-living-a-counter-cultural-life/

Joshua123

Quote from: Cramulus on January 02, 2022, 02:32:13 PM
I really enjoyed this article. It has a lot of good juice for breaking out of the algorithm.

Would love to know how it strikes you spags.

https://www.epsilontheory.com/25-anti-mimetic-tactics-for-living-a-counter-cultural-life/

Love it, love everything about it!!!

At first I didn't know what mimetic was (so even more anti-mimetic) so I had to look it up, I found this video explaining it, the summarized version of course, and I think I got the gist of it. I trust this explanation is a good one.

While I was reading your 25 techniques I noticed that I've been doing some of them all along even though I didn't know what I was doing. In general since I can remember I have always had this way of thinking where I dislike almost automatically what EVERYBODY is doing. For example "#25 Anti-Mimetic Scheduling" many many times I either go to the movies super early on a weekend or super late on a school night to avoid going at the same time with ALL the minds that said "yeah, let's get together at this hour like everybody else"... of course I assume that they are not doing this at a conscious level, I assume the great majority "just do it" unconsciously. "#3Return Anger with Kindness"  OMG.... it made me remember this thing I created back in the with my brother...... so like with any other brother in the world from time to time we would fight (arguments) and sometimes things would escalate and tension rise to a point we both were really really mad.... well, at this point I always felt that what is expected to follow was so predictable, so boring, so mainstream..... if you both are mad you don't talk much to each other, you say bad things to hurt him, you won't share your snacks with him, you might tell on him on something...... you get the idea.......... well at this point I would always think "why should I have to behave like this?. why should I have to follow something that feels pre-written to me, can't I just do something unexpected outside the box?".... and that's what I did  :).... so at the end of the argument when emotions were running high, I would ask my brother "hey can I borrow 5 bucks"? but in a way as if the argument was not affecting me to ask him that kind of favor cuz normally when you are fighting with someone you don't ask for a favor (let alone money) in the middle of it xD.................... his face would change immediately like saying "oh you need money? well, ok, after all you are my brother"...... the first times had this trait of being out of the blue but after a while it turned into a inside joke between us and an implicit way to deescalate the situation, we would laugh and the forget about the argument.

Anyways, sorry for rambling I got too excited I guess  :lol: .... so yeah, thanks for sharing your techniques, I'll read them again later this week, I'm sure I'll find new meanings and remember more things I do without knowing.

One quick question, the phrase "The older I get, the more I realize that most of life is a matter of what we pay attention to — of what we attend to, with focus." is that yours? I liked it very much and I too agree, with time I've come to conclude to whatever you put your attention that's what your life is gonna be about, it's so simple yet it took much much time to settle in my mind.