News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Temper the truth to its very sharpest

Started by lexi, March 23, 2022, 02:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexi

rong

this reminds me of the memes i saw when i was younger
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Cramulus

QuoteRe: Temper the truth to its very sharpest

...and it will cut both friend and foe

lexi

Quote from: Cramulus on March 23, 2022, 03:03:16 PM
QuoteRe: Temper the truth to its very sharpest

...and it will cut both friend and foe

that's the very line that came to mind when i saw this meme - but i neglected to put in the proper attribution:

https://www.principiadiscordia.com/downloads/Chao-te-Ching.pdf

Cramulus

how would you say the meme relates to the quote?

lexi

i see nostalgia as one of the many shared mental addiction patterns we fall into if we're not vigilant

it feels good to post. it feels good to get old person likes. they get it. not like these kids.

my son is 14 now and likes to shock me. good old non-consensual mind fucks. sometimes it's a tiktok from the "online meth lifestyle" showing someone lighting up, sometimes it's violent images of death, he introduced me to Jack Stauber. last year he asked for a lifesize cardboard cutout of putin as a gift for the holidays - um, sure i think i can arrange that, but.. may i ask why - to watch me sleep

one of his favourite pastimes lately is "old person twitter". um.. ? so apparently kids find it just hilarious how the first dinosaurs of the internet spend a painful chunk of their lives sharing memes of rotary telephones with some shade-infused variety of whine about how young folx don't venerate the obsolete references they choose to still identify by. you know that "typical kid on a bench on a beautiful day, just glued to their phone when they should be... (insert old person perspective)" meme? ya - he's stored a whole collection of that on his phone just for the hypocrisy lulz.

the young are going to eat the skin off our bones. their anger is a righteous rabbit hole sharpened tooth maw of fractillian dimensions - and their love - even more infinite.

but nostalgia is an industry. there's never an end to what will become nostalgic. the dopamine cycle fueled by dollars and common sense.

i think this meme is effective because it is sharp with multiple "wtf" elements to capture attention, while remaining short - and the red flag heroin reference to an audience already tuned into receiving memes about "old people" and "old person drugs" has the potential to hurt because any change has the potential to be unpredictably hurtful, and this i think is a truth most minds mired in nostalgia - the "old person twitter" demographic - have never spent much time considering worth spending much time considering.

and the only truth really is that we dig for ourselves

lexi

Quote from: rong on March 23, 2022, 03:00:58 PM
:lulz:

it's a cheap imitation really - the memes my great-grandfather used to post were leagues more durable. built to last.

rong

Quote from: purpleXi on March 23, 2022, 05:08:34 PM
Quote from: rong on March 23, 2022, 03:00:58 PM
:lulz:

it's a cheap imitation really - the memes my great-grandfather used to post were leagues more durable. built to last.
i think this is more true than you meant it to be

lexi

thanks! it's a hand-meme-down, but one of the very finest he left me with

lexi

but unfortunately most of the rest i got left are also bad dad jokes - they became infested with puns over the years

rong

Quote from: purpleXi on March 23, 2022, 09:51:33 PM
thanks! it's a hand-meme-down, but one of the very finest he left me with
Hand-meme-down - i love it. 

lexi

aw, thanks!  :oops:

but be careful with your complements - a little validation can be a dangerous thing - see OP  :kingmeh: