News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

the book of forbidden geometries

Started by lexi, March 24, 2022, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexi

my totally badass title for my combination gamedev/relaxation colouring book, i don't stress out too much about wrong lines or wobbles because chill is more important in that process - i only titled it after the following image starting challenging my brain in ways i didn't like. it took four days of looking at it in different short sessions before the mounting feeling of discomfort and growing fear didn't quickly stress me a headache. and then it struck me that i was looking at the opposite of sacred geometry which makes complexity a calming canvas for infinite interpretations - it isn't symmetrical, tidy.. it didn't make me feel clever because it hinted at a pattern i couldn't quite see.. so no expected dopamine rush..  and just uncomfortable for my brain to deal with.

subliminal warning: do not look indirectly at image

i still haven't figured out the algorithm, though i figured out today, there must be an algorithm, but my suspicion is that the image stopped hurting my brain i only after new neural connections formed in response to it. which would mean my brain:
a) not only figured it out
b) isn't telling me the answer

rong

So... Profane Geometry.  It sort of looks fractal, I have an idea what you were trying to do but that may or may not be right.  I'll put it on my list of things to do when I don't have anything else to do
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

lexi

oh sweet! collaboration would be awesome - i was thinking more forbidden as in forbidden fruit - sacred geometries are pleasing and symmetrical, they lull the mind and provide calmness, they are order in the guise of chaos, cheap parlour tricks - forbidden geometries provoke the mind and force it to take on a new imprint while the brain scrambles to find the pattern

slightly better shot, now with more lines!

lexi

"don't clap - no - you're just clapping yourselves"
-- Stewart Lee

my partner was wondering why i kept getting trapped in that page, suddenly snapping the book closed and then glaring at it suspiciously from a safe distance while muttering under my breath. so by way of explanation, i started drawing out the implied lines for her on another page. she loved it more :evilmad:

mass marketable sacred geometries are NyQuil for the soul

lexi

a symmetrical asymmetrical tiling mistake
makes a better colouring book
than game engine design document

so much for my physics without numbers
and my pixels without boring ass squares
just hand me fresh crayons

for i hunger for something not on the menu

lexi

i think i've cracked it, although now i want to make a boardgame
instead using the 21-point triangle as a tileable terrain template

lexi

suck it, squares - the future of pixels is hexagonal: https://spontificus.github.io/

finally got a working demo out of my crayon scribbles!

EDIT - maybe avoid that above link if using an older mobile device - webgl is hungry and when i tested it on my phone, it crashed the browser twice before my phone just turned itself off  :lulz:

lexi

life very much getting in the way, but made some progress towards inverted signed distance fields this past week - play with it here: https://spontificus.github.io/bugs/p5/1/

not the hexagon i was looking for