News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Eris in Astrology

Started by Brother Mythos, December 30, 2023, 02:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Mythos

Unless I know they're intentionally humorous, I pay no attention to horoscopes. So, most times, if the subject comes up, I tell people I'm a Libra, and Libra's don't believe in astrology. On the other hand, I do know that C.G. Jung took enough of an interest in the subject to actually study and write about it. And, as per my understanding of Jung's writings, he thought there was something to it.

However, as the origins of astrology go back thousands of years, and dwarf planet Eris (Named, of course, after our Beloved Goddess Eris.) was only discovered in 2005, I was surprised to stumble over the fact that some astrologers are now "charting" Eris when preparing horoscopes. Now, as Eris has an orbital period of about 559 years, and is anywhere from 38 AU to 97.5 AU from the sun, it barely moves from year to year against the background stars. Further, as its orbit is tilted at about 44 degrees to the ecliptic, it only passes in front of any of the twelve constellations of the zodiac, when viewed from Earth, once every 279.5 years. But, admittedly, I know next to nothing about how this astrology thingy is supposed to work.

So, here's a link to an astrology website some may find interesting:   Eris in Astrology

Hail Eris!
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Tinfoilment

The Zodiac is literally the most mainstream occult knowledge.  It lost relevance thousands of years ago.  Astrologers will do just about anything and lost connection to occult traditions a long time ago.  I think of Eris in the modern sense as a fast lightweight thing in contrast to slow order.  I think I would rather Planet Eris be Aneris, and both Phebos and Demos be renamed Eris.  Somehow calculating the slow against the two fast items. 

Tinfoilment

The European Zodiac sort of begins between Cancer and Leo, being Sol and Luna, and flares out to Aquarius and Capricorn, both as Saturn.  There were 7 planets originally.  Maybe there were three planets originally (visible Mars Jupiter Saturn).  With Sol and Luna as giants, and Venus and Mercury are different.  The sciency visual does not line up with tradition.

What even is a goat fish?  Chariots are for crowd control.  Aquarius is a food slave, Virgo is an arranged marriage.  They eat crabs, fishes, rams, cows.  They believe in centaurs. 

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Tinfoilment on January 02, 2024, 07:39:36 AM
The Zodiac is literally the most mainstream occult knowledge.  It lost relevance thousands of years ago.  Astrologers will do just about anything and lost connection to occult traditions a long time ago.  I think of Eris in the modern sense as a fast lightweight thing in contrast to slow order.  I think I would rather Planet Eris be Aneris, and both Phebos and Demos be renamed Eris.  Somehow calculating the slow against the two fast items.

That does make some sense out of it all for me. Thanks.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.