News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Advancements in Cyborg Techmology

Started by Brother Mythos, May 22, 2023, 02:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Mythos

Many will argue about what constitutes true cyborg techmology. However, I believe hardware connected directly to, and communicating directly with, the human brain meets the most stringent of requirements.

"Soft e-skin that communicates with the brain"

As per the article:

"This new e-skin is soft as, well, skin. The conversion elements are seamlessly incorporated within the skin, which measures a few tens of nanometers thick.

The development holds promise for more natural interaction between AI-based prosthetic limbs and the brain. It also is a step forward in efforts to construct robots that can "feel" human sensations such as pain, pressure and temperature. This would allow robots working with accident victims, for instance, to better relate to signs of comfort or distress."

Unfortunately, the papers this article is based upon are behind a paywall. However, those of you who are institutionalized may be able to access those papers through your respective institutions.

Here's the link:    https://techxplore.com/news/2023-05-soft-e-skin-communicates-brain.html
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Brother Mythos

"Engineers develop breakthrough 'robot skin'"

As per the article:

"Smart, stretchable and highly sensitive, a new soft sensor developed by UBC and Honda researchers opens the door to a wide range of applications in robotics and prosthetics.

When applied to the surface of a prosthetic arm or a robotic limb, the sensor skin provides touch sensitivity and dexterity, enabling tasks that can be difficult for machines such as picking up a piece of soft fruit. The sensor is also soft to the touch, like human skin, which helps make human interactions safer and more lifelike."

So, this is a second group that's also developing 'robot skin.'

Here's the link:   https://techxplore.com/news/2023-10-breakthrough-robot-skin.html

Pergamos

Quote from: Brother Mythos on November 10, 2023, 07:22:50 AM
"Engineers develop breakthrough 'robot skin'"

As per the article:

"Smart, stretchable and highly sensitive, a new soft sensor developed by UBC and Honda researchers opens the door to a wide range of applications in robotics and prosthetics.

When applied to the surface of a prosthetic arm or a robotic limb, the sensor skin provides touch sensitivity and dexterity, enabling tasks that can be difficult for machines such as picking up a piece of soft fruit. The sensor is also soft to the touch, like human skin, which helps make human interactions safer and more lifelike."

So, this is a second group that's also developing 'robot skin.'

Here's the link:   https://techxplore.com/news/2023-10-breakthrough-robot-skin.html

My wife and I were just talking about this, not the development but the need for it.  A popular use for robots is as caregivers for the elderly or disabled and one of the things that all humans need, that the elderly and disabled often only get from their human caretakers, is touch. Robots with humanlike skin could fill that need although I maintain that they would also need to exude pheremones.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Pergamos on November 17, 2023, 06:53:29 PM
My wife and I were just talking about this, not the development but the need for it.  A popular use for robots is as caregivers for the elderly or disabled and one of the things that all humans need, that the elderly and disabled often only get from their human caretakers, is touch. Robots with humanlike skin could fill that need although I maintain that they would also need to exude pheremones.

Would you care to expand upon your writing that "... I maintain that they would also need to exude pheromones."? This is something I've never thought about in the context of caregiving to humans.

For what it's worth,  the technology to do this is already here, and is quite inexpensive. For years my wife has been buying "plug in cat calming pheromone diffusers." And, they do work, although it takes some time for their calming effect to become noticeable.

Also, with a quick Google search, I found a number of perfumes and deodorants already on the market that claim to emit pheromones. And, while the actually effectiveness of the stuff currently out there is questionable, I know of nothing wrong with the overall concept.

Pergamos

People need human contact, that includes conversation, which an AI might manage, or a human interacting remotely, it also includes touch, thus the need for realistic cyberskin, and it requires being able to smell one another, not the aroma, but the pheremones.  We're constantly communicating chemically and that's one of the basic social needs that we have, even if we aren't consciously aware of it.  For a robot caretaker to properly take care of someone they'd need to not only feel, but smell like a human.  Presumably we'd replace the "I'm at work, I'm annoyed by this needy helpless person" pheremones a human caretaker would have with "I love and care about this person and am fulfilled by taking care of them" pheremones, that might come from a devoted loved one.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Pergamos on November 19, 2023, 05:33:28 PM
People need human contact, that includes conversation, which an AI might manage, or a human interacting remotely, it also includes touch, thus the need for realistic cyberskin, and it requires being able to smell one another, not the aroma, but the pheremones.  We're constantly communicating chemically and that's one of the basic social needs that we have, even if we aren't consciously aware of it.  For a robot caretaker to properly take care of someone they'd need to not only feel, but smell like a human.  Presumably we'd replace the "I'm at work, I'm annoyed by this needy helpless person" pheremones a human caretaker would have with "I love and care about this person and am fulfilled by taking care of them" pheremones, that might come from a devoted loved one.

Thanks for the insights. To me, robots are just machines, and I doubt my perception of them will ever change. But, even to me, it does make sense to "humanize" them for human caregiving purposes.

Pergamos

Quote from: Brother Mythos on November 19, 2023, 07:32:53 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on November 19, 2023, 05:33:28 PM

Thanks for the insights. To me, robots are just machines, and I doubt my perception of them will ever change. But, even to me, it does make sense to "humanize" them for human caregiving purposes.

I haven't met a robot that felt or smelled like a human yet, but I suspect that would make me way more likely to think of it as a person, even if I knew it was just a machine rationally.

Brother Mythos

"XoMotion created by SFU researchers to be world's most advanced exoskeleton for mobility challenged"

"Next generation exoskeleton technology developed by SFU researchers is poised to offer people living with mobility challenges a new chance at free and independent movement."

As per the article:

"XoMotion allows individuals with mobility challenges to stand up and walk on their own, without additional support. When in use, XoMotion maintains its stability and simultaneously encompasses all the ranges of motion and degrees of freedom needed for users to self-balance, walk, sidestep, climb stairs, crouch, and more.

Sensors within the lower-limb exoskeleton mimic the human body's sense of logic to identify structures along the path, and in-turn, generate a fully balanced motion.

SFU professors Siamak Arzanpour and Edward Park, both researchers in the School of Mechatronic Systems Engineering, began work on the device in 2014 with a vision to enhance exoskeleton technology and empower individuals with mobility challenges to have more options for movement."

So, it won't be long before someone develops this:

Here's the link:   Exoskeleton for Mobility Challenged

Brother Mythos

"Robotic third arm controlled by breathing is surprisingly easy to use"

"Extra limbs could provide a productivity boost to people working in a range of jobs, and experiments show that people are capable of controlling them intuitively"

As per the article:

"People can learn to control a robotic third arm using their eyes and chest muscles. Such extra limbs could become essential tools for surgeons or people working in industrial jobs, say researchers.

Giulia Dominijanni at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne and her colleagues created real robotic third arms and virtual ones inside VR environments, all controlled by a combination of eye movements and diaphragm contractions. In tests, 65 volunteers were able to successfully carry out a range of tasks without interfering with their normal breathing, speech or vision."

Unfortunately, one has to pay, or be institutionalized to access the original paper detailing this achievement. But, here's a short, summary link:   Robotic Third Arm Is Easy To Use

So, one limb at a time, we're working our way up to building Doc Ock.

Brother Mythos

"Is the Terminator coming true? The Rise of Cyborg Technologies"

"Advancements in Robotics and AI: Bridging the Gap Between Fiction and Reality"

As per this long article:

"The rapid progress in robotics and artificial intelligence (AI) is ushering in an era that eerily echoes the futuristic landscapes portrayed in the Terminator franchise. The convergence of cutting-edge technologies is transforming what once seemed like science fiction into tangible realities. Robotics has evolved beyond the realm of simple automation, giving rise to intelligent machines capable of complex tasks and decision-making.

In the field of AI, advancements have been remarkable, with machine learning algorithms exhibiting unprecedented abilities to analyze vast datasets and adapt to dynamic environments. These sophisticated AI systems, capable of learning from experience, are laying the foundation for autonomous machines that share similarities with the sentient machines portrayed in Terminator films."

And, at the very end of this article:

"The future landscape of advanced cyborg integration invites us to reflect not only on the potential benefits and risks but also on the kind of world we aspire to create. The responsible evolution of cyborg technologies requires collective wisdom, ethical foresight, and a commitment to fostering a future where the symbiosis of humanity and technology contributes to the betterment of individuals and society as a whole."

Again, this is a long article. But, if you have the time, you may find this overview of the future of this techmology to be a worthwhile read.

Here's the link:   Is the Terminator Coming True?

Brother Mythos

"CES 2024: This AI-powered exoskeleton can help you trek further, run faster and carry more"

"Go go gadget robo-legs!"

As per this article:

"If you've ever dreamed of being a human cyborg, like Inspector Gadget or Robocop, I've got some good news. Robotics startup Hypershell just unveiled its new ProX exoskeleton at CES 2024. This all-terrain, AI-assisted apparatus attaches to the legs and powers movement with a one-horsepower motor. Think of it as an e-assist for your lower body.

Built for outdoor adventurers and runners, it's designed to help users trek further and run faster using what Hypershell calls an "AI-based motion engine" that adapts to individual body styles and movements."

And, further along in this article:

"The Hypershell ProX attaches to a user's waist and thighs via adjustable straps. Power comes from an 800-watt (1-horsepower) motor, and users can dial in just how much assistance they want. At maximum power, you can cruise at speeds up to 12.4mph, which is quite fast for a human.

In addition to hiking and running, the ProX can be used for assistance while biking and even climbing. And it's not just for increasing range and speed. For backpackers, in particular, the Hypershell ProX offsets up to 66 pounds of carried weight to help reduce fatigue.

The exoskeleton has nine joints. One is active or connected to the motor, and the other eight are passive. Hypershell notes that this design gives users an enormous range of movement."

Well, I never really dreamed of being a human cyborg. But, I do have several pounds of titanium retrofitted to my OEM skeleton. So, by comparison, this exoskeleton isn't really all that strange, and it isn't anywhere near as expensive. But, it does require batteries.

Here's the link:   AI-powered Exoskeletons Now For Sale