News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Keep your stupid questions to your stupid self.

Started by MedeoPlusPlus, August 07, 2003, 12:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 05, 2011, 11:33:38 PM
Quote from: The Commander on May 05, 2011, 09:26:10 PM
Why does everyone hate this thread so much?

I hate self-perpetuating forum game threads.

Except for the ones that are funny or interesting, of course.

Which is none of them.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

BTW ch3mist, what's with the ASCII-dragon in your sig?

Quote from: Nigel on May 06, 2011, 08:20:47 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on May 05, 2011, 11:33:38 PMI hate self-perpetuating forum game threads.

Which is none of them.

I was referring to the "very short short stories (3 sentences or less" thread, which I think is pretty cool.

Also there's a few (very few) ongoing threads with a cool premise where people just riff off eachother or post new funny things every once in a while. They don't get nearly as much posts as the ones I hate, though.

A few other examples are the Misattributed Quotes thread (I love that one), the One-Sentence-Memebombs (initially, at least. it's been rather crappy for a while now, and thankfully really quiet recently), the Visual Puns thread.

And, possibly, the PICS thread, Political PICS thread, WOMPertainment and of course the many incarnations of the Open Bar.

You might disagree about some of these, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 06, 2011, 10:23:29 PM
BTW ch3mist, what's with the ASCII-dragon in your sig?

Quote from: Nigel on May 06, 2011, 08:20:47 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on May 05, 2011, 11:33:38 PMI hate self-perpetuating forum game threads.

Which is none of them.

I was referring to the "very short short stories (3 sentences or less" thread, which I think is pretty cool.

Also there's a few (very few) ongoing threads with a cool premise where people just riff off eachother or post new funny things every once in a while. They don't get nearly as much posts as the ones I hate, though.

A few other examples are the Misattributed Quotes thread (I love that one), the One-Sentence-Memebombs (initially, at least. it's been rather crappy for a while now, and thankfully really quiet recently), the Visual Puns thread.

And, possibly, the PICS thread, Political PICS thread, WOMPertainment and of course the many incarnations of the Open Bar.

You might disagree about some of these, though.

The ongoing riff threads are AWESOME.

Mostly the threads I hate are the ones that are clones of the exact same thread with the exact same title and the exact same content found on every web forum around the planet.

I don't think any of the threads you named fall into that category though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

That's because we're BETTER, that way.

Those other threads are a prime example of memetic diseases. Would it work, trolling a forum with those?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 07, 2011, 01:36:23 AM

Those other threads are a prime example of memetic diseases. Would it work, trolling a forum with those?

I knew a guy who sorta did... but it didn't work that well because the forum members ATE IT UP.

The Commander

Quote from: Nigel on May 06, 2011, 10:26:36 PM

Mostly the threads I hate are the ones that are clones of the exact same thread with the exact same title and the exact same content found on every web forum around the planet.

Speakibng of Riff, is anyone on the board playing Kingdom of Loathing?
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Commander on May 07, 2011, 02:41:16 AM

Not currently. Me & Mr. Language used to play, and he first told me he loved me while we were playing and I had a potato. :(

Luna

Quote from: Nigel on May 07, 2011, 02:51:14 AM

Not currently. Me & Mr. Language used to play, and he first told me he loved me while we were playing and I had a potato. :(

What happened to that opening, Nigel?
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Luna on May 07, 2011, 02:54:31 AM

What happened to that opening, Nigel?

Heh?

The potato is a weapon in KOL.

Luna

Quote from: Nigel on May 07, 2011, 01:24:30 AM
I'm gonna go walk my dog and then force myself to go to a gallery opening instead of sitting here like a lump of sad for the rest of the evening.

That opening...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

Quote from: Nigel on May 07, 2011, 02:32:15 AM
Quote from: Triple Zero on May 07, 2011, 01:36:23 AM

I knew a guy who sorta did... but it didn't work that well because the forum members ATE IT UP.

Yeah, the same happened to me.  It was like shooting myself in the foot, it was so painful to watch.

On the other hand, it serves as a kind of warning to any intelligent people online who may have been considering going to the forum, so all is well.

Triple Zero

Yeah I would expect that to happen, of course. It's the point right? Any other result I'd consider failure.

The thing is, if it's such a sure-fire stimulus/response trick, is there any way to turn that kind of influence to an advantage? (say, lulz)

Maybe on a medium-small board, create a different new one every few, until those threads suck up all the forums energy?

I dunno, it's not a particularly funny outcome ...

---

One thing those threads are particularly good for, is social engineering people into giving up their PI. It's social pressure, kinda, once a few people open up, others are less wary. Same thing happened on PD, before the Spagbook thread (or perhaps an earlier incarnation of it) hardly anyone posted photos of themselves, and if they did, often without a recognizable face. You won't get people that really don't want to that way, though.

The Commander

Love at first spud?
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

AFK

Quote from: Shibboleet The Annihilator on May 06, 2011, 05:46:33 PM
Quote from: ch3mist on May 06, 2011, 05:31:21 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 06, 2011, 04:54:56 PM
I'm just glad you're so obsessed with this retarded thread. Hopefully it will keep you from spewing your verbal diarrhea on the rest of the place.

Poor aspie.

Could you be that lucky?

What sort of idiot jackass bumped this?

Have we not met?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.