News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Epistle Two: On the Revolution.

Started by LMNO, February 25, 2005, 06:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: Hoopla on May 14, 2016, 01:07:01 AM
This place was so goddam different ten years ago.

The world in general was.

Wars in Iraq and elsewhere, Corporate fuckery went unchecked, X to prison pipelines were functioning at full flow, Maniacs were campaigning to get the US presidency, etc. etc. etc.

Oh wait.

Oh shit.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 25, 2005, 06:31:37 PM
Who has put a gun to your head?

No, really.  Put aside your grand conspiracies, and tell me if anyone recently has threatened you with a gun.

Okay, it's been 15 years. 

The answer is "VERY YES."
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 07, 2020, 08:59:28 PM

No, really.  Put aside your grand conspiracies, and tell me if anyone recently has threatened you with a gun.

Someone recently brandished a gat at you? Or was it 15 year's ago?

I've been in my share of fights, one with the other holding a loaded gun pointed at me with about 4 feet of initial distance. We scuffled and the gun fortunately did not go off, but I got pistol whipped a bunch. I think he expected me to just fall over like in the movies. Dad interviened. This was a "family" matter that could have been tragic.

There's a cold feeling on the business end of the gun.  Your guts turn squirmy and the mind freezes for just a moment. One of my very worst memories, and I've been swarmed by bees. The next person to do it to me, under any authority, is in for a very wild ride.

I would rather be dead
Than live with a gun to my head
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 08, 2020, 02:33:12 AM

I've been in my share of fights, one with the other holding a loaded gun pointed at me with about 4 feet of initial distance. We scuffled and the gun fortunately did not go off, but I got pistol whipped a bunch. I think he expected me to just fall over like in the movies. Dad interviened. This was a "family" matter that could have been tragic.

There's a cold feeling on the business end of the gun.  Your guts turn squirmy and the mind freezes for just a moment. One of my very worst memories, and I've been swarmed by bees. The next person to do it to me, under any authority, is in for a very wild ride.

I would rather be dead

The last time someone pointed a gun at me was 2013.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 08, 2020, 04:49:56 AM

I would rather be dead

I'm guessing that "wasn't your first rodeo" so to speak?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

PinkTiefling

Goddess! I lurk noore! I am here to proudly proclaim that I have not lost my grip on reality, only chosen to ignore the most current model in order to create my own! I am Otter Chaos, complete and devoid of my self-imposed filters. Hail Eris!
"Did somebody say coffee? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that man is not my wife."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: PinkTiefling on February 09, 2020, 05:42:01 AM
Goddess! I lurk noore! I am here to proudly proclaim that I have not lost my grip on reality, only chosen to ignore the most current model in order to create my own! I am Otter Chaos, complete and devoid of my self-imposed filters. Hail Eris!

:noob:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

So what?

ETA:  In the interests of fairness, you think you're the only one?  You, my friend, are at the top of the rabbit hole.  It gets uglier and it gets meaner every day.  Ask anyone here.  I mean, still here.  This shit isn't good for you.  The only one that got out in time was Verthaine.  Everyone else is fodder.  Even me.

I am Doktor Howl, Bubba, and I been around.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 08, 2020, 09:20:16 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 08, 2020, 04:49:56 AM

I would rather be dead

I'm guessing that "wasn't your first rodeo" so to speak?

I refer to everything up until about 2015 as my misspent youth.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 09, 2020, 06:48:44 AM

So what?

ETA:  In the interests of fairness, you think you're the only one?  You, my friend, are at the top of the rabbit hole.  It gets uglier and it gets meaner every day.  Ask anyone here.  I mean, still here.  This shit isn't good for you.  The only one that got out in time was Verthaine.  Everyone else is fodder.  Even me.

I am Doktor Howl, Bubba, and I been around.

Thing is, everyone thinks Discordia is happy children frolicking in the wild flowers and all that shit.  Except they're happy because they're feral and fucked up on cheap drugs, and the wild flowers are actually a trash heap in a vacant lot.  And one by one, they keel over from tetanus, while shrieking how special they are.

It's important to understand this:  Discordia hates each other.

It's also important to understand this:  In hell, you never look back.

It starts off as haiku games and three word story, word salad and cookies and pie bullshit.  It ends in terminal butthurt, smart people too fucking covered in scar tissue to function as a group or even as an individual beyond Fuck you, Jack.  Even if that "fuck you, Jack" is expressed only as sneering disdain or quiet contempt.

It's most important to understand THIS:  Discordia is bad for you.

Get out while you can.
Molon Lube

altered

I told my friends that Discordia is what happens when you tell some of the brightest, most creative people on the planet that no one will punish them for their misdeeds, then watch them punish each other for those misdeeds for a decade.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

Welcome, new person!

If you tell me what reaction you expected from this your first post, I shall endeavour to accommodate you.  :)
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on February 09, 2020, 01:30:48 PM
I told my friends that Discordia is what happens when you tell some of the brightest, most creative people on the planet that no one will punish them for their misdeeds, then watch them punish each other for those misdeeds for a decade.

That's as good a description as I can imagine.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 09, 2020, 03:48:45 PM
Quote from: altered on February 09, 2020, 01:30:48 PM

That's as good a description as I can imagine.

Holy shit!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO