News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Presidents say stupid things

Started by Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy, March 17, 2005, 05:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is stupider

Reagan:  "I don't recall"  Iran-Contra hearings
0 (0%)
Nixon:  "I am not a crook"  upon resignation
0 (0%)
Clinton:  "I did not have sexual realtions with that woman"  Grand Jury Inquiry
0 (0%)
George W Bush: "I glance at the headlines just to kind of get a flavor for what's moving. I rarely read the stories, and get briefed by people who are probably read the news themselves."
6 (31.6%)
George W Bush: "You're free. And freedom is beautiful. And, you know, it'll take time to restore chaos and order—order out of chaos. But we will."
2 (10.5%)
George W Bush: "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
7 (36.8%)
John F Kennedy:  "Ich Bin Ein Berliner"
4 (21.1%)
Jimmy Carter:  "I've committed adultery in my heart many times" PlayBoy interview
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 17, 2005, 05:02:16 PM

gnimbley

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
I have said this before, but I will repeat it, If you are going to do something questionable, do NOT record it in any manner.

You've been talking to Hillary, haven't you?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: gnimbley
I have said this before, but I will repeat it, If you are going to do something questionable, do NOT record it in any manner.

Okay, I'm convinced.

Bush is a Godly man, and everything he does is okay, because the Dems aren't perfect.

TGRR,
May as well join 'em.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: gnimbleyLet me ask you a question, Roger. How many troops would Kerry have withdrawn from Iraq during his term of office?
That's hardly a fair question, whoever gets elected next is going to inherit this mess.  It's like the proverb where you save someone's life, then you are responsible for it.

Bush never prepared for this part of the process.  As far as I have been able to tell, no one did.  That is one of the reasons it is such a disaster.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: gnimbleyLet me ask you a question, Roger. How many troops would Kerry have withdrawn from Iraq during his term of office?
That's hardly a fair question, whoever gets elected next is going to inherit this mess.  It's like the proverb where you save someone's life, then you are responsible for it.

Bush never prepared for this part of the process.  As far as I have been able to tell, no one did.  That is one of the reasons it is such a disaster.

How dare you criticize our wonderful president!  He might be evil and crooked, but at least he isn't Hillary!  She's not perfect, you know!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nope, but I do watch TV.  One of my all time favorite shows was America's Dumbest Criminals.  With video recording equipment so easy to get hold of, people are videotaping themselves doing all sorts of things.  Abu Graib also comes to mind.  Although, some of those Army Reserves may have been naive enough to believe they weren't doing anything wrong, or maybe it is because some of them were prison gaurds here in the States before being deployed.

The Good Reverend Roger

Nope, but I do watch TV.  One of my all time favorite shows was America's Dumbest Criminals.  With video recording equipment so easy to get hold of, people are videotaping themselves doing all sorts of things.  Abu Graib also comes to mind.  Although, some of those Army Reserves may have been naive enough to believe they weren't doing anything wrong, or maybe it is because some of them were prison gaurds here in the States before being deployed.

No, they didn't think they were doing wrong for the same reason that the Einsatzgruppen didn't think THEY were doing anything wrong.

DJRubberducky

... I know the guy who is personally responsible for Huntsville* forbidding its guards from wielding two batons at once.  Apparently the footage of that is pretty spectacular, but I haven't lucked into that yet.

*Or whichever the fuck prison is in Houston.  I'm too lazy to Google.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger

No, they didn't think they were doing wrong for the same reason that the Einsatzgruppen didn't think THEY were doing anything wrong.

Its all OK, they had orders.  Dont criticize them for being good little drones.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Scribe

Its all OK, they had orders.  Dont criticize them for being good little drones.

I wouldn't DARE criticize them.  I am all for it...I will follow Gnimbly, Turd, and Bush into a brave new world!

How dare you criticize our wonderful president!  He might be evil and crooked, but at least he isn't Hillary!  She's not perfect, you know!
Yeah, that pesky bitch, she wanted to make sure we all had Healthcare and that all of our children had enough to eat.  And she tried to convince us that we are all responsible for the children, that chldren need to be taken care of.  So her marriage ins't perfect, neither is mine, but it is closer to perfect than my parents was.  Any of the 4 marriages between the 2 of them.  For being Discordians or Erisians or whatever, there is a lot of judgmental crap floating around.  Hey, Ghost in the Machine, can we get a clean up over here?  Thanks,  :roll:

The Good Reverend Roger

Yeah, that pesky bitch, she wanted to make sure we all had Healthcare and that all of our children had enough to eat.  And she tried to convince us that we are all responsible for the children, that chldren need to be taken care of.  So her marriage ins't perfect, neither is mine, but it is closer to perfect than my parents was.  

She's not perfect.  Ergo, we must all vote republican.

Get with it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: AnonymousI don't really have much hope in a cannidate who didn't figure out her husband had oral sex with another woman in the white house until he proclaimed it on television. Sounds a little blind to me. Just sayin'.

~Yurito Sakari~

The Wannabe Buddhist Monk

CLINTON GOT A BLOWJOB!!11
\

http://www.new-life.net/milgram.htm

You would be amazed at what people will believe is OK when it comes from someone in a position of authority.  And that is the top google for Milgram.  They won't let him do his experiments any more.  They stopped him after these.  And the less flexibility you leave young people in deciding things, the less able they are to ever question authority figures, the more suscetible they are to this kind of pressure.  "It must be OK because the sargeant, general, boss, whatever told me to do it."  That's why I have a nice healthy fuck you attitude.  Oh, yeah, remember these experiments happened in the USA in the 1960's :shock:

Cain

I did Milgram in psychology.  Its still not a fucking excuse.  What they should have done is found out why some of them didnt do as they were told and see if that could be applied to the population as a whole.

The Good Reverend Roger

http://www.new-life.net/milgram.htm

You would be amazed at what people will believe is OK when it comes from someone in a position of authority.  And that is the top google for Milgram.  They won't let him do his experiments any more.  They stopped him after these.  And the less flexibility you leave young people in deciding things, the less able they are to ever question authority figures, the more suscetible they are to this kind of pressure.  "It must be OK because the sargeant, general, boss, whatever told me to do it."  That's why I have a nice healthy fuck you attitude.  Oh, yeah, remember these experiments happened in the USA in the 1960's :shock:

True.  The Germans, as a people, are law-abiding folks for the most part, and wouldn't hurt a fly...unless someone in uniform tells them to.

In the USA, we have come to worship the "easy solution", combined with the John Wayne Syndrome ("Kick the living shit out of anything you don't understand").

It was only natural that these mouthbreathers from West Virginia would do what they did at Abu Graib.

Whoops...scratch that.  The guards were only engaging in "frat pranks", and the war is a noble effort.  Because the Dems aren't perfect.

Remember, kids...the greater evil is better, because the lesser evil failed to remain absolutely spotless.