News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

WTF are you?

Started by Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy, March 18, 2005, 11:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are you?

Hippy
1 (4.5%)
Beatnik
1 (4.5%)
Square
3 (13.6%)
Revolutionary
4 (18.2%)
Misc counter culture
3 (13.6%)
All of the above
1 (4.5%)
None of the above
3 (13.6%)
An annoyance to all of the above
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: March 18, 2005, 11:45:24 PM

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
2.  I suppose.  Cookies and pies just annoy me, though.
How about if we include beer along with the cookies and pie, would that help?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
2.  I suppose.  Cookies and pies just annoy me, though.
How about if we include beer along with the cookies and pie, would that help?

Not really.  Virtual beer gives new meaning to the word "lite".

This forum used to be fairly neatly divided between word-gamers/pie freaks & the real weirdos (back when there were only about 4 sub-forums).

The lines have blurred, now, and you can hardly get started on some weird ranting, when someone comes along and starts babbling about pie.

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood, now.  You know who you can thank.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Open Bar

can i interupt and make a distinction? (discourse on the redeeming value of pie/cookies will resume shortly)

Pre-hippy counter culture = Beats.
Post-Beat fluffies who confused Kerouac/Ginsberg/Burroughs et al with Parisian Existentialist movement = Beatniks.

The stereotype Beatnik (beret, goatee beard, sunglasses, black polo-neck, bongo playing etc) was a mish mash of be-bop fashion, Sartre, coffee, gitanes & fluffiness and largely a creation of the media to lambast the burgeoning counter-cultural movements of the East & West coasts of the day.

If anyone suggested that Burroughs was a beatnik, he'd probably shoot them and rightly so.

[We now return you to "cookies n' pie - medicine or meh?"]

Quote from: The Open Barcan i interupt and make a distinction? (discourse on the redeeming value of pie/cookies will resume shortly)

Pre-hippy counter culture = Beats.
Post-Beat fluffies who confused Kerouac/Ginsberg/Burroughs et al with Parisian Existentialist movement = Beatniks.

The stereotype Beatnik (beret, goatee beard, sunglasses, black polo-neck, bongo playing etc) was a mish mash of be-bop fashion, Sartre, coffee, gitanes & fluffiness and largely a creation of the media to lambast the burgeoning counter-cultural movements of the East & West coasts of the day.

If anyone suggested that Burroughs was a beatnik, he'd probably shoot them and rightly so.

[We now return you to "cookies n' pie - medicine or meh?"]

This is the sort of discussion I was trying to start, thank you OB, you can expect more of, oh, nevermind. :wink:

The Open Bar

if i wasn't a bar, i'd be a beat.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Open Barif i wasn't a bar, i'd be a beat.

The beats were created by the jello-mold conformity of the 50s, which created so many socio-economic rejects, that it became fashionable to be one.

Kinda like what's happening now.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The beats were created by the jello-mold conformity of the 50s, which created so many socio-economic rejects, that it became fashionable to be one.

Yep, I wonder what THEY(tm) will call us.  Should be coming up with a name any time now.  Of course, they would have to admit how many people are unemployed or undermeployed first, wouldn't THEY(tm)

The Good Reverend Roger

Yep, I wonder what THEY(tm) will call us.  Should be coming up with a name any time now.  Of course, they would have to admit how many people are unemployed or undermeployed first, wouldn't THEY(tm)

Why?  They didn't have to last time.

What will they call us?  Americuh-hating terrarist anarchists, of course.

THen they'll throw us in Gitmo, and forget about the whole thing.

I don't think they have thrown any Americans into Gitmo, except for that one guy who had joined the Taliban.  But, wait a sec, which country is on your passport?  We seem to be treating Canada less and less like a Sovereign country, so you might be fucked.

The Good Reverend Roger

I don't think they have thrown any Americans into Gitmo, except for that one guy who had joined the Taliban.  But, wait a sec, which country is on your passport?  We seem to be treating Canada less and less like a Sovereign country, so you might be fucked.

I'm dual.  However, you are mistaken about one thing:  So far, 6 American citizens have been held without due process.  Only one was released.

Boo.

I'm dual.  However, you are mistaken about one thing:  So far, 6 American citizens have been held without due process.  Only one was released.

Boo.
What were the deals with the other ones?  I heard about someone who live in Canada, I forget his nationality, I think he was Syrian, he was traveling and during a layover he was picked up and even though the Canadians ask the US not to, they sent him to Syria.

The Good Reverend Roger

Boo.
What were the deals with the other ones?  I heard about someone who live in Canada, I forget his nationality, I think he was Syrian, he was traveling and during a layover he was picked up and even though the Canadians ask the US not to, they sent him to Syria.

John Walker Lindh = Gitmo (actually, now in Ft Leavenworth).

Anderson = released.

Padillo, Hamje, Lake, Hamilton = Naval brig in PA.

CannedLizard

Let's see, I'm a geek, so I guess that makes me a square...TO THA EXTREME! \m/
POEE Pre-Chaplain Neon Irwin of the Bahumbug Pre-Cabal, CG, UE, KoBaSN

Quote from: CannedLizardLet's see, I'm a geek, so I guess that makes me a square...TO THA EXTREME! \m/
Not necessarily, probably not, really.

Caster Braids

Quote from: CannedLizardLet's see, I'm a geek, so I guess that makes me a square...TO THA EXTREME! \m/

\mm/

Too much Geek for one Hand, Big Brother.
Can sin be forgiven?
I think... I want to be forgiven. ... More than anything.

But... I let you die...

"Shut up! Order and Chaos and your Stupid Plan don't mean a thing. She's gone! She'll no longer talk, no longer laugh, cry... or get angry... What about us... what are WE supposed to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My eyes are burning!"

I'll phone in a verdict.

Stay where you belong...

In my memories.