News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Oh my Goddess, I think I just got enlightened!!!

Started by Gimoz, March 21, 2005, 09:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kusa

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 21, 2007, 02:07:42 PM
Quote from: Kusa on December 21, 2007, 09:39:38 AM
Oroa dig ej, om du andas djupt ett tag så återvänder allt till det normala.

I hope you plan on sharing with the class. 

It means: Worry not, if you breathe deeply for a while everything turns back to normal.
This is a statement.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kusa on December 21, 2007, 04:01:57 PM

It means: Worry not, if you breathe deeply for a while everything turns back to normal.

LIES!!!  I tried breathing deeply for a while and everything turned into a bad anime for thirty minutes or so.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kusa

This is a statement.

AFK

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 21, 2007, 04:04:14 PM

LIES!!!  I tried breathing deeply for a while and everything turned into a bad anime for thirty minutes or so.

Well sure.  Next time try putting down the Jenkem.   :wink:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

LMNO

"Normal" does not exist.

LMNO
-Kicks Gaussian functions in the nads.

Kusa

Why exclude "normal" when all our other fantastic made up concepts roam and rape freely?
You racist.
This is a statement.

LMNO

I think you're starting to see why the barstool is needed...

LMNO
-tosses Kusa a barstool, and wades into the fray. 

Kusa

This is a statement.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kusa on December 22, 2007, 06:13:47 PM
Nope, no lessons learned. :')

*picks up a barstool and whacks Kusa over the head with it*

I don't imagine it helped, but I enjoyed it.

LMNO

Good to see you're able to be an ape, just like the rest of us.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on December 26, 2007, 06:20:09 PM

Well, all metaphors fit somewhere... if you have a shoehorn large enough to manage it. For me, I've never really felt that the Barstool Metaphor was particularly good for enlightening the receiver, but who doesn't enjoy whacking someone in the head with a stool on occasion, just for the fun of it? It may not teach them a thing about reality (and if they have a decent philosophical grasp on the concepts that they are espousing, it shouldn't change their mind at all), but it can be damned good stress relief.
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

LMNO

Hear, hear.

I can see what you're saying... I have a feeling that amongst the complaints the pinealists have with PD.com is that some of us tend towards pragmatism over idealism... Or we're Idealistically Pragmatic.

I dunno if that makes sense.  My wife just took me out to lunch at a high-end sushi place.  I had some sake.  w00t.

Cramulus

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 26, 2007, 06:27:12 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 26, 2007, 06:20:09 PM

Well, all metaphors fit somewhere... if you have a shoehorn large enough to manage it. For me, I've never really felt that the Barstool Metaphor was particularly good for enlightening the receiver, but who doesn't enjoy whacking someone in the head with a stool on occasion, just for the fun of it? It may not teach them a thing about reality (and if they have a decent philosophical grasp on the concepts that they are espousing, it shouldn't change their mind at all), but it can be damned good stress relief.
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

As the saying goes:
"When the oxygen masks come down, put your own mask on before attempting to help those around you."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on December 26, 2007, 06:37:26 PM
Hear, hear.

I can see what you're saying... I have a feeling that amongst the complaints the pinealists have with PD.com is that some of us tend towards pragmatism over idealism... Or we're Idealistically Pragmatic.

I dunno if that makes sense.  My wife just took me out to lunch at a high-end sushi place.  I had some sake.  w00t.

Well, I think that and the wholesale vocal rejection of everything that most of them know about Discordianism. Don't get me wrong, every cult has its higher level where all of the n00b stuff gets replaced with some other stuff... but usually they hide that shit behind a initiation so that the n00b is inducted into a new mindset, and is brought to an understanding of how the old mindset isn't wrong... but rather that its just a model.

Many young, tragically hip Discordians have only read the PD and maybe some of Bob's books. Yet instead of folks here saying "Yes, that's really cool... didja notice how *insert thing* actually leads to *insert new concept*, we often tend to say "You have 50 posts to get that bullshit out of your system, or we will unleash that which cannot be named on your ass. Have a nice day."

When I began hanging out here more often than in the past, I found this mindset lame... not because it failed to embrace the old maps and models, but because often it appears (from the outside) that most people here would like to burn all of the old maps and models, rather than simply including newer maps and models alongside the old ones.

I think it comes from pragmatism in some sense... but it can appear more like genocide on occasion ;-)