News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

The Flight of Roger

Started by Efrim, March 22, 2005, 10:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Efrim

,ÄúThe wind drift comes straight off the morning star and beautiful white clouds drift towards you. And they,Äôre like old friends. Friends you never want to say goodbye to. And you see a patch of clear air in between ,Äòem and you duck in and out, like a porpoise rolling in the ocean. And then you say to yourself, ,ÄòBoy, oh boy, this is the only time a man is really ever alive. It,Äôs the only time he,Äôs really ever free.,Äô The old sky smiles back at you and says, ,ÄòBoy, you,Äôre right. You,Äôre dead right.,Äô,Äù
   ,ÄìDalton Trumbo

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have gathered here today to say goodbye to the man they called the Good Reverend. Late last night, I was sitting in my kitchen, just about to break open a new bottle of Absinthe a friend brought back from Prague. As the first drops of that tasty green liquid fell into my glass, the phone began to ring.

,ÄúEfrim? It,Äôs Roger. I need a lift.,Äù
,ÄúDamn Roger. I just opened the new bottle. I was going to call it a night,Äù
,ÄúSorry about that, Ef. It is urgent though,Äù
,ÄúFine. I,Äôll be over in a minute.,Äù

I walked outside and started up my car. I flipped through my CD book and put on Hunky Dory by David Bowie. As I drove down the street to Roger,Äôs house, I listened to the opening strains of ,ÄúChanges,Äù and wondered where it was Roger wanted to go. Maybe up to Glenview to fuck with the rich ones? Though I had been looking forward to a quiet night, I decided that such activities would be a good use of the night.

As I walked through the back door of Roger,Äôs house and entered the living room, I noticed that all of the furniture was gone. Roger was sitting on a large suitcase and smoking a cigarette. His back rested against a wall that had a fist-sized hole in it and he took a long drag on his cigarette before looking up at me.

,ÄúHey Ef, our destination tonight is the airstrip in Aurora. You up for it?,Äù
,ÄúYeah. sure.,Äù
,ÄúAlright. Let,Äôs get going. I,Äôm sure he,Äôs waiting.,Äù

I didn,Äôt ask any questions. It didn,Äôt seem necessary. Roger picked up his suitcase and a large oblong black bag and we hit the road. On the way there Roger told me that he was going as far away as possible for foreseeable future. He wouldn,Äôt elaborate much on why, just saying that he knew it was time for him to split.

He left me with some instructions and gave me the key and receipt to a long-term rental locker at the train station. Roger told me to not open the locker for exactly one year. Looking at the receipt, I noticed that the locker had been rented for just that amount of time.

As we approached the airstrip, I noticed a lone plane on the strip. A two-engine, with a man standing next to it. I parked the car and we got out. As we stood by the car the man started walking towards us.

,ÄúTake care, Ef. Res Ipsa Loquitar.,Äù
,ÄúI,Äôd tell you the same, but whats the use? Be seeing you.,Äù
,ÄúProbably not.,Äù

With that, the man now standing on the other side of the chain fence yelled out: ,ÄúCome on Roger, I,Äôve got a schedule to keep.,Äù
,ÄúYeah, yeah. I,Äôm coming Rick.,Äù Roger replied.
,ÄúYa know, I knew you,Äôd be back.,Äù said the man with a smirk.

Roger opened the back door of the and pulled out his suitcase and oblong bag. He gave me a nod and then walked to the other side of the chain link fence, where Rick gave him a hard slap on the back.

I Climbed back into the car and turned on ,ÄúLife on Mars,Äù. As I sat there and watched Roger and Rick climb into the ugly looking plane. After the plane had finished struggling and had finally made it above the cloud line, I flipped through my CD book once again. This time, I put on ,ÄúSister Ray,Äù by the Velvet Underground and threw the car into reverse.

As I drove home at near top speeds, I realized how little the incident had bothered me. I suppose I had never really gotten used to Roger. Chaos, after all, just can,Äôt be counted on. I can certainly do fine on my own. I imagine Roger can do fine for himself as well, but only because he,Äôs destined for something much worse. A plane crash would be far too easy. Still, I will miss the man every time I see a congregation of victims file out of a church on a Sunday morning.

As for the matter of Roger,Äôs requests, there was only one was of relevance to this board. The password for the Chef moniker has been given to me, and I have been requested to auction it off among the members of the board. I will be entertaining PM,Äôs on this matter over the next few days. Bids are not limited to cash. If you feel you are worthy let me know.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

Malaul

I have no desire to use that account
its all you buddy
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Efrim

Quote from: MalaulI have no desire to use that account
its all you buddy

I don't want the thing. I feel a bit like Morpheus in the Sandman after he's given the key to hell and has to decide who to leave it with since he has no desire for it himself.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

Efrim

The Chef password has just been changed by me. Roger could no longer access it if he wanted to.

L,
Efrim

Bella

I don't want it, either.
I already have a perfectly good troll that I share with slothrop and Maxwell's Demon. :twisted:
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Efrim

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI don't want it, either.
I already have a perfectly good troll that I share with slothrop and Maxwell's Demon. :twisted:

Well, you two may not want it, but I already have a couple offers.

I will admit to authoring 2-4 Chef posts of very minor importance. It was momentarily amusing. I have my own troll waiting in the wings if I decide to go down that road though. I prefer my own ideas.

L,
Efrim

CannedLizard

I already posted Wish You Were Here in another thread, so this seems only appropriate to follow on:

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on your crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the cross fire of childhood and stardom,
blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger,
you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Treatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter,
you piper, you prisoner, and shine!
POEE Pre-Chaplain Neon Irwin of the Bahumbug Pre-Cabal, CG, UE, KoBaSN

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: CannedLizardI already posted Wish You Were Here in another thread, so this seems only appropriate to follow on:

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the cross fire of childhood and stardom,
blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger,
you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Treatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter,
you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

that's my sond, and syd's(roger's) roger can;t have it.

and isn;t worthy.

keep chef efrim, or whatever.

miranda july is fucking my skull, i have to hunt her down and tell her i love her.
Hell is other people.

Ghost In The Machine

Quote from: Efrim

I will admit to authoring 2-4 Chef posts of very minor importance. It was momentarily amusing. I have my own troll waiting in the wings if I decide to go down that road though. I prefer my own ideas.

You're probably better off.  Roger might amuse, but I wouldn't want to live near him.

Chaplin_Sinatra_Fonzarell

Quote from: EfrimAs for the matter of Roger,Äôs requests, there was only one was of relevance to this board. The password for the Chef moniker has been given to me, and I have been requested to auction it off among the members of the board. I will be entertaining PM,Äôs on this matter over the next few days. Bids are not limited to cash. If you feel you are worthy let me know.

I'll give you a picture of people cosplaying as fast food mascots and the soundtrack to the movie Head in mp3 form
Chaplin Sinatra Fonzarelli, G.G.L.F., C.L.F., L.F.L.F., R.M.S.T.A., R.P.C.V., N.C.c., T.R.R.R., W.I.T.C.H., W.P.P., V.P.D.F.Y.S., S.C.U.M., I.G.R.S.A.F.D.S.K.S.K.J.J.J.S.Y.Y.D.F.D.K.D.S.F.K.S.D.K.J.L.K.F.G.K.S.D.G.G.J.R.J.S.T.S and other various divisions of the Maude Senger cabal of the Pantheo-Anametamystikhood of Eris Esoteric, and President for Life of the Holy Empire of Ayatollah Discordiolla

img]http://www.dontyouwantmebaby.com/fark/bond_077_hasselhoff_animate.gif[/img]

doubtless incident

goodbye roger. crap.

i gave myself away in a contest too but then i changed the password and kept myself.
TIMMYYYYY!!!!!!

Ghost In The Machine

Quote from: doubtless incidentgoodbye roger. crap.

Don't look at it like a problem, see an opportunity.

Now we can play "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego", IRL!

doubtless incident

i'm a where's waldo man myself.
TIMMYYYYY!!!!!!

Efrim

Quote from: Ghost In The Machine
Quote from: Efrim

You're probably better off.  Roger might amuse, but I wouldn't want to live near him.

No, you wouldn't.

L,
Efrim

LMNO

Bye Roger.

See you tomorrow.  :lol:

(PS - After the last two incidents, I most certainly am calling Shenanagins on this).