News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

They are dropping like flies

Started by gnimbley, April 07, 2005, 03:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnimbley

Quote from: LocusSF and fantasy author Andre Norton, 93, died peacefully in her sleep of congestive heart failure March 17, 2005 after a month in home hospice care following a bout with pneumonia and a stroke. Norton, a SFWA Grand Master, wrote over 100 books, with an active career that spanned 70 years.... Her first book was published in 1934, and her final solo novel, standalone fantasy Three Hands for Scorpio, will be published in April 2005. Return to Quag Keep, written with Jean Rabe, will appear in January 2006.

Bella

just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

agent compassion

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

Felix

All of our beloved golden age sf writers are passing away..  

And they were so much smarter than us.

Daven

Quote from: agent compassionAndre Norton was a chick?

:shock:

Yes, she was.  Just like CJ Cheryh is.  No one thought she would sell under her real name, so the publishers forced her to have a pen name and it sold.  Same thing with Cheryh.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

"My god carries a hammer.  Your god died nailed to a cross.  Any questions?"
"He's your god, they're your rules, YOU burn in hell."

gnimbley

Funny. I never really thought about Andre being a man's name. I always
just associated it with her.

Quote from: LocusAlice May Norton was born February 17, 1912 in Cleveland, Ohio. Norton began her professional career as a children's writer, doing books "for boys," and adopted the male pseudonym Andre. In 1934 she legally changed her named to Andre Alice Norton.

The gnome is unhappy that he made the Oracle of Doom sad. He may
go sit in the corner.

To die peacefully in your sleep at 93 after a long and fruitful life. May
we all be so blessed.

The gnome will not go sit in the corner. He will have a cookie in honor
of Alice at the earliest opportunity.