News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

i am an addict.

Started by Slarti, April 30, 2005, 11:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

for the past two years i haven't been able to admit it to my self but yes, i am an addict. i am a SLAVE to video games. i'll buy a game, play it hardcore every day for most of my free waking hours for 2weeks to 3 months, depending, and then i'll reallized the game's flaws, boredom sets in, and i decide to stop playing the game. feelings of boredom and lethargy will set in, and i'll spend a day or two moping until i decide on what i should do (which is almost always to buy a new game). every time i've done it i've been increasingly aware of it, but i keep doing it anyway. i am an addict and i need to stop.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

The first step to dealing with a problem is admitting that you have one.  You let me know what you want to do, I'll help in any way I can.

Horab Fibslager

i feel your pain. i've been a gamer for on about, uh 17-18 years now. ever since nes made it's debut in canada.

it's an off on thing. i admit it's a pointless waste of time, tho in soem ways ive figured otu the following

costs 40-80$ to go  out drinking one night

costs 40-80$ for two weeks worth of pot.

costs 20-30$ to go see a film in the theatre, by myself.

costs 40-80$ for anew video game. depending on mp and sp play time - 4 - 8 hours a day, i can have 60 hours of game play from a titleon sp alone(eayh i played hl2, s hrot 20hour game time 4or5times) hundreds of hours now in multiplayer. it's jsut hte msot cost effective out of those forms of entertainment. midni tend to smoek and play video games. btu vs drinking it's a hadns down solution.

mind a book costs 10$ and if it's good, depending on length, up to a week of entertainment. which kicks all other ass.

mind you this doesn't take intothe amount of money iv'e spent on my machine. about 1500$ now(including monitor).
Hell is other people.

B_M_W

As I have told Horab before, there are many positive effects to moderate amounts of video game playing, including: more responcive reflexes, higher hand/wrist muscle coodination, sharpening of problem solving skills, and even hand eye coordination.

However, there is a difference between moderate amounts of video game playing and addiction. And its about as obvious as the difference between having a few glasses of wine a day and being an alcoholic.

Unfortunatly, about the only way to stop addition is to cut off the source.

~BMW

Feels for ya.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

East Coast Hustle

that's actually about the least effective way of stopping addiction, but that's a debate for another time.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

saint aini

Hi, my name isn't aini, and I'm addicted to internet forums.
Mary: Let me ask you something.
[Grabs his hand]
Mary: Why are you alive?
John Preston: [Breaks free] I'm alive... I live... to safeguard the continuity of this great society. To serve Libria.
Mary: It's circular. You exist to continue your existence. What's the point?
John Preston: What's the point of your existence?
Mary: To feel. 'Cause you've never done it, you can never know it. But it's as vital as breath. And without it, without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock... ticking.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Horab Fibslager

a good way to break one habit is to take up another. become an alcoholic, or a fitness freak.
Hell is other people.