News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

What the hell just happened!?

Started by B_M_W, April 28, 2005, 08:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_M_W

I don't know why Im posting this. Its just that I can't quite figure out what the hell just happened.

Okay, I was in my Geology lab, and I was confused about the wording of a few questions. So I asked my prof about it, and tried to figure it out. But he just seemed to keep jumping around the question I was asking him about. I started to get frusterated, and finally I really pressed him. While I did, I darkly underlined the thing I was asking him about. and then he tells me to leave, saying "nobody talks to me like that in my classroom". And I left, went back to my room without a word, and cried myself to sleep, I guess, maybe cause I really respect the guy and he just humiliated me in front of the rest of the people there. Hes the guy who got me into this minor, and my advisor.

So I went to sleep, and had this really weird dream about changing things on television with your mind and some other shit. It was one of those really real dreams, one of those you know you are dreaming when you have it, and I actually forced myself to wake up out of it.

All in all, I woke up about a half an hour ago, and all I can think is "What the hell just happened!?" Its like its only a memory, except I looked in my lab book and found the place where I underlined. The class, the dream, all of it, Im just so confused as to what the hell happened.

~BMW
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Ghost In The Machine

Your teacher is a prick.

If he didn't know the answer to your question, he should have just said so.

Cain

Not to worry you, but I often get the dream/reality thing when I'm ill.  It kinda blurs after a while, normally bout a day before I get the symptoms.  But thats just me.

As for the prof, maybe its just he couldnt handle not knowing the answer.  It seems a common problem among certain academics. Pressing it with him may have just made it worse, he percieved it as some kinda challenge or something.  Also, if it was a relativley minor point, that may have made it worse.

Just my 2 pence (thats gotta be nearing a dollar now in worth!) :wink:

LMNO

You tried showing him the Fnords.

His reaction is a typical one for Greys.

[Korzybski]
See if you can re-write the phrase in question.  Try useing other synonyms, change the grammar, see if you can take out any "is of identity".
[/Korzybski]

Post the question here.  One of our resident geniuses will be glad to help out.  Or at least make something up.

B_M_W

I don't know, I just feel like I must have stepped somehow. But I didn't yell, and I didn't swear. I might have been rude by replying "yes, but Im asking about this" to all the things he went and pointed out, or maybe it was the underlining.

I don't know, I can't quite remember. And Im not sick.

The best part is, I don't really feel upset about it anymore. Now I just feel confused.

~BMW

Edit: The question was about a geologic map. You would have to look at the map to determine the answer, but the question was refering to the question before it, which was "Name and describe the age of the youngest folded rock formation". Then, the question I was inquiring about was "What is the age and name of the next youngest rock formation". Now, Im not one for semantics, but when a person says next youngest, do they mean the rock that is directly younger than, or the rock that came before? I was confused, and still am confused. And is that really such a hard question?
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Talk to him in his office, make an appointment if you have to.  A lot of people have difficulties saying they don't know.  Or maybe he was just having a bad day.  Or maybe he is a prick, who knows.

Ghost In The Machine

Quote from: LMNOYou tried showing him the Fnords.

His reaction is a typical one for Greys.

Indeed. BMW is lucky to be alive.

Horab Fibslager

i ha da dream where i was sleeping at a freinds' house and mandy moore stoppe dby to watchmovies. she kicked everyone out of the living room except me and put in the movie an then started talking in a giggly way abotu havign sex with women. i stood up and wen to the kitchen for a drink and she got up too, and started talking abotu her sex with women again, i tried to kiss her which was when her bodyguard sprang into action and kicked my ass. so me an dbuddy who's house it was apparently decided to go down to the grocery store to rent movies, iw as wearing my pajamas and then that dream i'v ehad before that's soem kind of chickflick abojut a guy who isn't me and his crappy car started playing and mandy moore was in it again. i dunno wtf is up with that, or what it ahd to do with any of this. however, one thing you could do ins invite him out for beers or soemthng and you knwo ask him what's up and to try and answer the question and if he does't give the proper respect break your beer bottles otneh bar and drive it into his soon to bemangled face with the fury of a thosuand acadmeic exiles. whiel screaming"ezra pound thou art avenged!"
Hell is other people.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_WannabeI don't know, I just feel like I must have stepped somehow. But I didn't yell, and I didn't swear. I might have been rude by replying "yes, but Im asking about this" to all the things he went and pointed out, or maybe it was the underlining.

I don't know, I can't quite remember. And Im not sick.

The best part is, I don't really feel upset about it anymore. Now I just feel confused.

~BMW

Edit: The question was about a geologic map. You would have to look at the map to determine the answer, but the question was refering to the question before it, which was "Name and describe the age of the youngest folded rock formation". Then, the question I was inquiring about was "What is the age and name of the next youngest rock formation". Now, Im not one for semantics, but when a person says next youngest, do they mean the rock that is directly younger than, or the rock that came before? I was confused, and still am confused. And is that really such a hard question?
The first one was the youngest.  The next one cannot be younger than the youngest, unless you have a different definition of time, or you were supposed to look elsewhere on the map.  It sounds like you were asking one question and he was hearing a completely different question.

time
big bang------next youngest rock formation------youngest rock formation

Or maybe I misunderstood both of you :wink:

B_M_W

The question was reffering to a geologic map of the eastern rocky mountains. If you don't know how to read a geologic map, then you probably can't help me. Sorry.

~BMW

Edit: While your explanation makes sense logically, it makes no sense when you look at a geologic map. If the next youngest rock was older then it would also have to be folded, which makes no sense in the context of the problem. Which means the question should be worded the other way, "of the rock directly younger than the one in the previous problem?"

But he didn't listen, and threw me out. So either way, I lost. Or he did.
Whatever, I have to go to class now.

~BMW

LMNO's Shadow

The problem here is that it doesn't say "Next youngest folded formation.  It could either be refering to the folded rock formation that is just a little older than the youngest formation, ro the next formation that is younger than the folded one.

Ok, semantics time!

Folded formation 1 is youngest.
Folded formation 2 is next youngest (i.e. older than FF1)
Formation 1 could be younger than FF1.

This describes the problem.[/i]

/o\

time

this topic made me thread.

B_M_W

Quote from: All rights reserved
time

this topic made me thread.

Huh?

~BMW

Looking out for his threads