News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

New Chart

Started by LMNO, April 29, 2005, 03:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: LMNOAs silly as it sounds, I feel like I've actually contributed something to Erisianism with this.

I know it's all bullshit, but still...
I wouldn't say it's bullshit.
You've presented us with a new vantage point - a valuable tool.

I think it would be cool to use this new tool for meditation.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

fluffy

i don't see a problem with
orderly order
disorderly disorder
etc.

after all
with the chart as its stands now
you have three kinds of order
disorderly order
creative order
and
destructive order

isn't that leaving out
the obvious
which is just
order?

i don't think eris
would be
just order (etc.)

eris would be the whole chart

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: fluffy
i don't see a problem with
orderly order
disorderly disorder
etc.

after all
with the chart as its stands now
you have three kinds of order
disorderly order
creative order
and
destructive order

isn't that leaving out
the obvious
which is just
order?

i don't think eris
would be
just order (etc.)

eris would be the whole chart

as well as x.5 the chart.

btw this is defintely going into tehbook of ripoff.
Hell is other people.

LMNO

I see you point, Fluffy.  I guess I wanted to say that Eris was simultaneously the purest forms of Order, Disorder, Creativity, and Destruction, with the other descritions like a beam of light passing through a prism, or the sparkle of a faceted diamond.

Y'know?

DJRubberducky

I may have time to take a stab at illustration over the weekend.  If I don't, then whoever does: I was thinking of using the five-fingered hand in the "ERIS" boxen.  Just in case you like that idear. :)
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

LMNO

I like that idear.

And thanks.

The Open Bar

i like your chart alphabet dude  :)

i particularly like the idea of it being made into a cube. perhaps we could roll it in some sort of divination ritual? it's like a golden apple...but with corners!!

i think this is a worthy extension of discordianism....and failing that, it could double up as a nice paperweight.

as for mangrove.... if you get him in one of his k-babble moods...well...it's murky waters indeed....

anyway he's busy following the Escher drones that traverse his multi-dimensional stair cases.

LMNO

Yeah, but I still can't see how you could make it into a cube... There are 16 aspects...

Well, there are 12 aspects, and 4 simultaneous states of Eris, so we could use the edges....  Ther are 12 edges on a cube right?

::thinks::

4, 4, 4.  Yeah.  12.

Each edge can represent an aspect, it can bleed over each side, and combine in the middle like a big X.

Hmm.. More sketching needed.  be right back.

[Edit:  I'm back.  Here's one solution.  Each color would represent an aspect, with Eris Combined on the inside of the cube.  Or something.
http://img125.echo.cx/my.php?image=newchartcube6lt.png ]

East Coast Hustle

CREATIVE DESTRUCTION = NAIL ON FUCKING HEAD

thank you for articulating something I've believed in yet been unable to verbalize for the last 10 years or so.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Horab Fibslager

16 is a cube number.

lol.

4 squares, 4 squares, 4squares, 4squares.

:mrgreen:
Hell is other people.

LMNO

Like I said, I got a good feeling about this one.

You're welcome.  Feel free to spread the Wisdom of the Chart.

But don't thank me, it was She What Done it All.

LMNO

I just realized my chart is missing a "destructive" symbol for "Destructive Disorder".

I apologize.

I shall attempt to remedy this.

DJRubberducky

I lied:

http://www.utdallas.edu/~katies/newpdchart.pdf

LMNO, I think I did it right.  Double-check me? :D
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

LMNO

Bump for EmmaE.

Also, this is the sermon I was talking about.  For some reason it isn't in this thread.

So, now that we have discovered the Illusions of Order and Disorder, we can turn to the next page of the Principia Discordia, 00063, "The Curse of Greyface".

THE CURSE OF GREYFACE AND THE
  INTRODUCTION  OF NEGATIVISM 
      To choose order over disorder, or disorder over order, is to accept a trip composed of both the creative and the destructive. But to choose the creative over the destructive is an all-creative trip composed of both order and disorder. To accomplish this, one need only accept creative disorder along with, and equal to, creative order, and also willing to reject destructive order as an undesirable equal to destructive disorder.
      The Curse of Greyface included the division of life into order/disorder as the essential positive/negative polarity, instead of building a game foundation with creative/destructive as the essential positive/negative. He has thereby caused man to endure the destructive aspects of order and has prevented man from effectively participating in the creative uses of disorder. Civilization reflects this unfortunate division.

POEE proclaims that the other division is preferable, and we work toward the proposition that creative disorder, like creative order, is possible and desirable; and that destructive order, like destructive disorder, is unnecessary and undesirable.
      Seek the Sacred Chao - therein you will find the foolishness of all ORDER/DISORDER. They are the same!

Now, while that is very interesting, several of us were thinking a few things:
1. It reeks of hippiedom.
2. Its still dualistic.
3. Some of us like breaking stuff.

So, we thought about it an made a new chart:

So:  Possibilities arise fourfold.  The original pattern remains, Creative Order/Disorder, and Destructive Order/Disorder.  But rather than limiting one's observances to an essentially two dimensional outlook, we may expand upon it.*

Orderly Disorder:  The means and methods of predictable chaos, a false front; often used by cabbages to pass themselves off as wise.  Rather than let the warm bosom of Eris comfort and inspire them to do great things, they force them selves into carefully planned actions which may look Erisian at first glance, but are almost entirely Aneristic.

Orderly Creation:  Architecture, Mathematics, Haiku, Fugues; Creative energies bound by rules, yet yielding great works that bring beauty into the world.  In this light, structure and boundaries are not the enemy, they are merely tools with which to create.

Orderly Destruction:  The triumph of the Aneristic Illusion.  Everything is rules.  No freedom exists, for it is bound by carefully crafted commandments.  The creative spirit has been vanquished, crushed.

Disorderly Order:  The methods used by Ghandi and MLK; Civil Disobedience.  Causing Disorder through non-chaotic action.  The rock in the stream that causes turbulence and eddies.

Disorderly Creation:  Using Eristic means to Create; Cf. Jackson Pollock, John Cage, Free Jazz, etc.

Disorderly Destruction:  Most Natural Disasters.  Many cabbages consider this the only aspect of Chaos. 

Creative Order:  The means and methods to which one brings the Aneristic Illusion into greater perception.  Gruad's revolution occurred only because Gruad was creative enough to communicate them to his fellow Atlanteans.  Also, the PNAC, and most justifications for rescinding personal social freedoms.

Creative Disorder:  A process that engenders another process... Much like the intended results of Operation: Mindfuck-- that is, one creates a clever and specific kind of disorder, whose purpose is to turn neophobes into neophiles.

Creative Destruction:  The answer to the usual objection to the original Creation/Destruction meme, to wit, "you have to destroy in order to create".  In fact, if one moves beyond the merely physical into the conceptual, every major artistic breakthrough has come from breaking/abandoning/destroying the "rules" in a creative way.

Destructive Order:  The rules and paradigms that repress and inhibit Freedom and Creation.  The tools of the Aneristic Illusion.

Destructive Disorder:  Behavior and actions that are harmful; various psychoses and self-destructive habits; temper tantrums.  Many Novice Erisians (and many Elder Erisians as well) often mistake Destructive Disorder as a beneficial thing.

Destructive Creation:  The process of building things that have no purpose but to destroy.  Oppenheimer, creating the Nuclear Bomb; Bioengineering new viruses that can wipe out the planet.  In general, these are poorly directed creative energies.

Which leaves us with 4 spaces left: Orderly Order, Disorderly Disorder, Creative Creation, and Destructive Destruction.  What do they mean?  The fuck if I know.  And there lies the first clue.  They are also the purest forms of these aspects.  That is the second clue.  The other three clues are Hidden.  Regardless, it soon becomes obvious that if one takes the four purest elements and combines them simultaneously into a fifth, Eris is born.  She is all things, all conflicting ideas, all concepts, all aspects.  Hence, the 5-fingered hand of Eris occupies those spaces.

It has been noted by Discordian scholars that opening up the Chart in this way give rise to furthur [sic] observations of Destructive Disorderly Order, and Creative Destructive Disorderly Order, and Orderly Creative Destructive Disorderly Order etc.  I leave this exercise up to the reader, as it's getting late, and I'm almost out of scotch.

*The wise-assed among us would like to remind the reader that ultimately, every single square in this chart should contain the Hand, as this is merely another exercise in Illusion, and these aspects are merely interpretations of that which is Chaos.  Fair enough.  Turn the page.

EmmaE

Thanks for the bump, LMNO.

After looking at this chart, I realize that I still have a hell of a lot more to think about in some aspects-- and, in others, things are clearer.
But it's a step in the right direction, I think.

Thank you for the food for thought.  :)
Understanding requires the risk of insanity.