News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Ask Your Eris?

Started by hooplala, May 02, 2005, 07:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nurbldoff

Crowley was probably a bit too good at blowing his own horn. Whether he was "genuine" or not, the result is lots of clueless followers.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

LMNO

Quote from: nurbldoffCrowley was probably a bit too good at blowing his own horn. Whether he was "genuine" or not, the result is lots of clueless followers.

I don't think you can blame the idiocy of humanity of Crowley.

Ghost In The Machine

Quote from: nurbldoffCrowley was probably a bit too good at blowing his own horn. Whether he was "genuine" or not, the result is lots of clueless followers.

"Genuine" = tangible, reproduceable results.

Crowley was the very model of the charletan, he just had a few rich dupes.

LMNO

Quote from: Ghost In The Machine

Ok, I'm gonna have to ask you again, GitMo, if you have actually tried Uncle Al's experiments.

Ghost In The Machine

Quote from: LMNO

Ok, I'm gonna have to ask you again, GitMo, if you have actually tried Uncle Al's experiments.

Nope.  However, if they worked, the US government would have found a way to make a bomb out of them, like they do with every other principle that works.

QED.

LMNO

1.  If you ain't done it, you should try, and see what happens.
2.  What exactly do you think Crowley's claims were?  Because I think you might have a misconception about Al.

hooplala

Quote from: Christ Raw V, KSC
Quote from: Christ Raw V, KSCThey must have been focusing on Chapter 69 of Crowley's Book of Lies.

Crowley was a fraud.

And who isn't?  Define your terms.

A person who can deliver on his/her claims?

Oh, I think he delivered on his claims . . .  e.g. the decline of
Xtianity in the civilized world, the wiccan and neo-pagan currents, the
the Oriental upsurge in the West, all show his influnce...  the OTO¬† keeps growing...

And if you don't understand his writings, I think its unfair to blame him, it's a poor worker who blames his tools.  His writing is all hidden behind riddles, codes and puns . . . its not intended to be light reading.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Ghost In The Machine

Quote from: LMNO1.  If you ain't done it, you should try, and see what happens.
2.  What exactly do you think Crowley's claims were?  Because I think you might have a misconception about Al.

He claimed to be able to work magicK.  Now, define magicK.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO1.  If you ain't done it, you should try, and see what happens.

He claimed to be able to work magicK.  Now, define magicK.

I think you are misunderstanding what magic "is" . . . Not that shit David Blaine does . . . its a very personal re-forming of your own mind and consciousness.  It is taking the bull by the horns, and swallowing it.  You own your own mind (some might say you ARE your own mind) so why not control it, instead of having it control you?

You create all the reality you see, why not have fun with it?

If you can't understand Crowley, I don't see how you can understand Discordianism.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Ghost In The Machine

I think you are misunderstanding what magic "is" . . . its a very personal re-forming of your own mind and consciousness.

If you can't understand Crowley, I don't see how you can understand Discordianism.

1.  That's not magic, that's just self-inflicted mind-fuckery.

2.  If you can't understand the baryon conservation principle, how can you understand discordianism?  Blow me, punk.

hooplala

Quote from: Ghost In The Machine1.  That's not magic, that's just self-inflicted mind-fuckery.

We're just getting into semantics here, bucko.

Quote from: Ghost In The Machine2.  If you can't understand the baryon conservation principle, how can you understand discordianism?  Blow me, punk.

That's not a very witty response . . . I toss an apple at you and you come back with 'blow me'?  You fail the test.

Now, would anyone care to get back on topic?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Ghost In The Machine

Quote from: Ghost In The Machine1.  That's not magic, that's just self-inflicted mind-fuckery.

We're just getting into semantics here, bucko.

Quote from: Ghost In The Machine2.  If you can't understand the baryon conservation principle, how can you understand discordianism?  Blow me, punk.

That's not a very witty response . . . I toss an apple at you and you come back with 'blow me'?  You fail the test.

Now, would anyone care to get back on topic?

So, magic isn't a real force, just a way of thinking?  Okay.  As stated, Crowley was a fraud.

I wasn't trying to be witty, dogmatism boy.  I was telling you to blow me.  You post an ignorant fucking statement like that "apple" you "threw me", you get what you have coming.  So, fuck you AND your "test".

LMNO

Well, Crowley defined "Magick"* as "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with the will".   he also said,

"What is a Magical Operation? It may be defined as any event in nature which is brought to pass by Will. We must not exclude potato-growing or banking from our definition. Let us take a very simple example of a Magical Act: that of a man blowing his nose."

My interpretation is that Crowley, though Tantra, Drugs, Yoga, et al, was able to alter his reality tunnel or grid, or filter, as he saw fit.  Some have called that enlightenment.  I'm not sure I do, though.

Anyway, he also hid a lot of his Ideas in pompous windbaggery.  It turns a lot of people off.

Still, his methods are fairly effective, and you don't really need to engage in all the cape-wearing, goblet hefting, occult chanting business that he was all on about.  I'd suggest you give him a little bit more slack.

*I know, I know, it's actually spelled "majyq".

LMNO

[side note]

When teh fuck did I become the moderate here?

hooplala

Down down . . . simmer . . . breathe . . .

Attempting to explain to you Crowley's definition of magic is not dogma, my child.  

You can't make ridiculous statements like those about Crowley and think nobody is going to challenge you on them.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman