News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Ask Your Eris?

Started by hooplala, May 02, 2005, 07:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saint aini

fourier frequency analysis.

s-domain analysis and Laplace transforms use the complex plane to reduce difficult to solve differential equations to easier algebraic equations and then back again to the real plane for real answers.
Mary: Let me ask you something.
[Grabs his hand]
Mary: Why are you alive?
John Preston: [Breaks free] I'm alive... I live... to safeguard the continuity of this great society. To serve Libria.
Mary: It's circular. You exist to continue your existence. What's the point?
John Preston: What's the point of your existence?
Mary: To feel. 'Cause you've never done it, you can never know it. But it's as vital as breath. And without it, without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock... ticking.

Zurtok Khan

The Wart has character!
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

nurbldoff

I find it pointless to say that imaginary numbers are less real then "ordinary" numbers. They're not, they just got an unfortunate name. No numbers can "exist" any more than imaginary numbers in any sense, since all numbers are pure abstractions anyway. We're used to using  numbers day by day, to describe amounts and stuff, but that doesn't make them more "real" than words. Besides, numbers such as (non-LMNO) Pi can't even be represented finitely with digits, are they real? Pi can be defined as the relation between the circumference and the diameter of a perfect circle; does such a thing "exist"?

The important thing to remember about science is that it's really all just about making models; pictures of "reality". If imaginary numbers are a cool way to make a working model, why not use them? Because some people find them hard to grasp? :)
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

mmmmmmmm..... Pi........
/*******Formulas for Pi ***********/

***Leibnitz's Formula ***

PI/4 = 1/1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...

***Wallis Product ***

PI/2 = 2/1 * 2/3 * 4/3 * 4/5 * 6/5 * 6/7 * ...

***Lord Brouncker's Formula ***

4/PI = 1 +        1
          ----------------
          2 +     3^2
              ------------
              2 +   5^2
                 ---------
                 2 + 7^2 ...

For those who can never get enough Pi

http://www.math.com/tables/constants/pi.htm

hooplala

I can't believe I asked this!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Harlequin

Quote from: nurbldoff on May 11, 2005, 02:45:03 AM
I find it pointless to say that imaginary numbers are less real then "ordinary" numbers. They're not, they just got an unfortunate name. No numbers can "exist" any more than imaginary numbers in any sense, since all numbers are pure abstractions anyway. We're used to using  numbers day by day, to describe amounts and stuff, but that doesn't make them more "real" than words. Besides, numbers such as (non-LMNO) Pi can't even be represented finitely with digits, are they real? Pi can be defined as the relation between the circumference and the diameter of a perfect circle; does such a thing "exist"?

The important thing to remember about science is that it's really all just about making models; pictures of "reality". If imaginary numbers are a cool way to make a working model, why not use them? Because some people find them hard to grasp? :)

But there is a difference between unreal and real numbers in the sense that real, positive numbers are observable. I can see that I have two apples in front of me; I don't see, for instance, that I have minus nine monkeys. Likewise, i, pi, infinity etc are conceptual rather than 'real'. Pi is a definite value, yes, but no-one can actually list all of it in any form other than a fraction - just the same as any other irrational number. i and infinity are very useful for mathematical working, and of course they have a very important place in maths and physics - but nevertheless, there is still a distinction between 'basic' numbers and these more advanced types.

Of course, 42 > Everything else.
After all, wasn't it Oscar Wilde who was arrested for sodomy? Sorry, I'm not quite sure why I said that...

hooplala

Is that possibly just learned perception though?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

shadowfurry23

Quote from: Zurtok Khan on May 06, 2005, 08:55:57 PM
*recorpalizes Altoid Addict with all of his parts except that ugly mole on his left ass cheek*

I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.

Isn't it suspicious that most Starfleet Doctors seems reluctant to use the transporter?  And what if you're not really being moved to another place, what if you're actually being killed, and a copy of you is being created in the new location?  What if every newly transported person is a unique individual, with their own soul?

How many Jim Kirks are there in Heaven?  How many in Hell?
This play, however, is an affirmation of life—not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living, which is so excellent once one gets one's mind and one's desires out of its way and lets it act of its own accord. - John Cage

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Harlequin on November 26, 2008, 02:10:17 PM
Quote from: nurbldoff on May 11, 2005, 02:45:03 AM

But there is a difference between unreal and real numbers in the sense that real, positive numbers are observable. I can see that I have two apples in front of me; I don't see, for instance, that I have minus nine monkeys. Likewise, i, pi, infinity etc are conceptual rather than 'real'. Pi is a definite value, yes, but no-one can actually list all of it in any form other than a fraction - just the same as any other irrational number. i and infinity are very useful for mathematical working, and of course they have a very important place in maths and physics - but nevertheless, there is still a distinction between 'basic' numbers and these more advanced types.

Of course, 42 > Everything else.

I think you might me laboring under a misconception.

You can see an apple and an apple in front of you. If you choose to label them with a quantitative identity based on a generalization, then you can do so... but its no less imaginary than Pi (Apple Pi at that!).

Apple and Apple = Apple and Apple because the two apples are probably not the same. They are likely different apples with different qualities, weight, flavor, bruises, worms...

Ironicly it was Crowly that said "'1+1' is truth and '1+1=2' is a lie". :fnord:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson