News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

REJOICE!

Started by gnimbley, May 28, 2005, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Well, to be honest, I also bitch because of the hypocracy of some of the Message Bringers.

I mean, if you just admit that it's kinda bogus to sing about the downtrodden when you're making millions, I'd appreciate it more.

One reason I think Blink 182 wasn't/ isn't all that bad:  They admitted very early on that they weren't really Punk, and made no attempt to be harder than they actually were.  And they write pretty good pop songs.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: LMNONot automatically.

It takes a little time before the message is invalidated.

But the window is shrinking exponetially...

Well, these days, you have 3 choices:

1.  Work with the evil recording companies.

2.  BECOME the evil recording companies, by starting your own label.

3.  Play in shitty bars for eternity, where people are too drunk to understand your message, and keep telling yourself that you're an artiste.

if you wanna become a zillionaire, you're right, you gotta sell your soul to BMG...but I know plenty of musicians who make a decent living using local producers, distributing albums through local indie labels, touring regionally, and selling merch. In truth, if you want to support a band or artist you really like, buy a $15 t-shirt instead of spending $15 on their CD.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Quote from: Mob Rule
if you wanna become a zillionaire, you're right, you gotta sell your soul to BMG...but I know plenty of musicians who make a decent living using local producers, distributing albums through local indie labels, touring regionally, and selling merch. In truth, if you want to support a band or artist you really like, buy a $15 t-shirt instead of spending $15 on their CD.
8)

Troof.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mob Rule
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: LMNONot automatically.

It takes a little time before the message is invalidated.

But the window is shrinking exponetially...

Well, these days, you have 3 choices:

1.  Work with the evil recording companies.

2.  BECOME the evil recording companies, by starting your own label.

3.  Play in shitty bars for eternity, where people are too drunk to understand your message, and keep telling yourself that you're an artiste.

8)

Fair enough.  But the argument was about getting a message across to the masses, not the lifestyle lived by the musician.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

anyone who makes music and says they're doing it because they need to spread their message is full of shit and dangerously full of themselves.

Myself and everyone else I have ever known who are truly passionate about making music do it because they love making noise. I don't give a rat-fuck if the drunks in the crowd understand what I'm trying to say to them becuase half the time I don't even understand what I'm trying to say to them. but as long as I can get up on stage and rock out and make people move their heads and hips and feet and maybe make enough cake to pay some rent and buy some beer, it's all good.

I'll leave the proselytizing to Bono.

8)

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mob Ruleanyone who makes music and says they're doing it because they need to spread their message is full of shit and dangerously full of themselves.

Sez who?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mob Rulesez me.

8)

Does that apply to everyone, or just musicians?

::dusts off Jesuit logic instruction::

East Coast Hustle

IMO?

just musicians.

let's look at that word again...musicians.

not preachers, not proselytizers, not barkers, criers, or any number of other similar professions...

musicians.

if you are a musician and it's not all about the music for you, WAYSA?

8)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mob RuleIMO?

just musicians.

let's look at that word again...musicians.

not preachers, not proselytizers, not barkers, criers, or any number of other similar professions...

musicians.

if you are a musician and it's not all about the music for you, WAYSA?

8)

So, musicians are not entitled to the same moral right to express their opinions as anyone else, because it would somehow defile their art?  

Music should not be allowed to be used as a force for social change?

LMNO

Oh crap, you really did have jesuit training, didn't you?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNOOh crap, you really did have jesuit training, didn't you?

Yeah, but I got better.  :lol:

I rarely indulge in it, though.  I save it for special occasions, or when I just ahppen to be in the right mood.

East Coast Hustle

I never said anything like that, did I?

and regarding Green Day, which is what we were originally debating, do you really think that Green Day is a force for social change?

:lol:

anyway, I just think that music can do all that without being a background noise for somebody's preaching...I can write a guitar piece that will make you feel happy and content, one that will make you feel uncomfortable and paranoid, or one that will make you want to jump up and start burning this mother down...and that's all before I add any lyrics....and if I do add lyrics, it's gonna be because they were channeled into my brain, because they needed to go with a particular song, not because I'm trying to preach my views to an audience.

8)

LMNO

::note the lack of testing on my part::