News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

REJOICE!

Started by gnimbley, May 28, 2005, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mob RuleI never said anything like that, did I?

and regarding Green Day, which is what we were originally debating, do you really think that Green Day is a force for social change?

:lol:

anyway, I just think that music can do all that without being a background noise for somebody's preaching...I can write a guitar piece that will make you feel happy and content, one that will make you feel uncomfortable and paranoid, or one that will make you want to jump up and start burning this mother down...and that's all before I add any lyrics....and if I do add lyrics, it's gonna be because they were channeled into my brain, because they needed to go with a particular song, not because I'm trying to preach my views to an audience.

8)

1.  Actually, yes.  

let's look at that word again...musicians.

not preachers, not proselytizers, not barkers, criers, or any number of other similar professions...

musicians.

if you are a musician and it's not all about the music for you, WAYSA?

2.  I never said hey had be GOOD at it. Competence isn't the issue, here.

3.  So, your opinion is that every musician should have the same drive as you do?  Motivation should be restricted to art as a "pure" zen-like art form?  Should this extend to other arts, or is music somehow unique in this?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

gnimbley

Quote from: Mob Ruleanyone who makes music and says they're doing it because they need to spread their message is full of shit and dangerously full of themselves.

Myself and everyone else I have ever known who are truly passionate about making music do it because they love making noise. I don't give a rat-fuck if the drunks in the crowd understand what I'm trying to say to them becuase half the time I don't even understand what I'm trying to say to them. but as long as I can get up on stage and rock out and make people move their heads and hips and feet and maybe make enough cake to pay some rent and buy some beer, it's all good.

I'll leave the proselytizing to Bono.

8)

Actually, not a bad definition of art. I once heard a story about two guys
who met a famous poet at a party and told him they wanted to be poets.
The poet asked them why. The first guy said because he had a lot of
things to say. The second one said just because he liked to play with
words. The poet said the second one would be the poet. The first one
would be a critic.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: gnimbley
Quote from: Mob Ruleanyone who makes music and says they're doing it because they need to spread their message is full of shit and dangerously full of themselves.

Myself and everyone else I have ever known who are truly passionate about making music do it because they love making noise. I don't give a rat-fuck if the drunks in the crowd understand what I'm trying to say to them becuase half the time I don't even understand what I'm trying to say to them. but as long as I can get up on stage and rock out and make people move their heads and hips and feet and maybe make enough cake to pay some rent and buy some beer, it's all good.

I'll leave the proselytizing to Bono.

8)

Actually, not a bad definition of art. I once heard a story about two guys
who met a famous poet at a party and told him they wanted to be poets.
The poet asked them why. The first guy said because he had a lot of
things to say. The second one said just because he liked to play with
words. The poet said the second one would be the poet. The first one
would be a critic.

Naw.  The critic would be the guy that can't write, so makes his living slamming BOTH of the two you mentioned.

Artists that have nothing to say tend to bore me.  Compare Kipling vs Emily Dickenson, for example.  One wrote really cool shit about the social and military impact of England during the Victorian age, and the other played with words (but no matter how much she played with them, she still couldn't get "moon" and "orange" to rhyme).

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

gnimbley

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerCompare Kipling vs Emily Dickenson...

Quote from: Emily Dickinson
I reason, earth is short,
And anguish absolute,
And many hurt;
But what of that?

I reason, we could die:
The best vitality
Cannot excel decay;
But what of that?

I reason that in heaven
Somehow, it will be even,
Some new equation given;
But what of that?

LMNO's Shadow

Pwned by the gnome!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: gnimbley
Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerCompare Kipling vs Emily Dickenson...

Quote from: Emily Dickinson
I reason, earth is short,
And anguish absolute,
And many hurt;
But what of that?

I reason, we could die:
The best vitality
Cannot excel decay;
But what of that?

I reason that in heaven
Somehow, it will be even,
Some new equation given;
But what of that?

See?  Emily Dickenson is crap.

Worst rhyming scheme EVER!

Now, here's some good shit, and still amazing relevant, today:

,ÄúCleared,Äù, honourable gentlemen! Be thankful it,Äôs no more:,Äî
The widow,Äôs curse is on your house, the dead are at your door.
On you the shame of open shame, on you from North to South
The hand of every honest man flat-heeled across your mouth.

,ÄúLess black than we were painted,Äù?,ÄîFaith, no word of black was said;
The lightest touch was human blood, and that, you know, runs red.
It,Äôs sticking to your fist to-day for all your sneer and scoff,
And by the Judge,Äôs well-weighed word you cannot wipe it off.

Hold up those hands of innocence,Äîgo, scare your sheep together,
The blundering, tripping tups that bleat behind the old bell-wether;
And if they snuff the taint and break to find another pen,
Tell them it,Äôs tar that glistens so, and daub them yours again!

,ÄúThe charge is old,Äù?,ÄîAs old as Cain,Äîas fresh as yesterday;
Old as the Ten Commandments,Äîhave ye talked those laws away?
If words are words, or death is death, or powder sends the ball,
You spoke the words that sped the shot,Äîthe curse be on you all.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO's ShadowPwned by the gnome!

Um, no, he proved my point.

Donkeyotay

Quote3. So, your opinion is that every musician should have the same drive as you do? Motivation should be restricted to art as a "pure" zen-like art form? Should this extend to other arts, or is music somehow unique in this?

The only reason any one becomes a musician is to get laid or be popular... :twisted:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Donkeyotay
Quote3. So, your opinion is that every musician should have the same drive as you do? Motivation should be restricted to art as a "pure" zen-like art form? Should this extend to other arts, or is music somehow unique in this?

The only reason any one becomes a musician is to get laid or be popular... :twisted:

You are speaking for yourself, or all musicians?

Cause, somehow, I don't think symphony violinists have that many groupies.

Donkeyotay

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger

You would be surprised...All that stuff about band camp is mostly true...Just because symphony groupies may not be as sexy as band groupies doesn't make a difference. :wink:

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Mob Rule
Quote from: Mob Rule
Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
So, now we should hate them because they got a record contract?  Isn't that the whole point?

yes, it is the whole point and THAT'S the problem.

8)

So, anyone who takes their message to the masses automatically invalidates that message?
I don't really want to launch into a 10-page lecture on how the music business works, so here's the cliff's notes version:

Most bands that are offered a recording contract with one of the big 5 (or even many of the "major indie" labels) are only allowed to keep their artistic freedom if their vision happens to coincide with what the label thinks will sell. If you sign a 5-album deal and your first album doesn't go multiplatinum, when you go into the studio to record your second album the label says "sound like this and sell more albums next time around or else." If you still don't produce the second time around, you most likely get dropped from the label and owe them the balance of what they spend on recording whatever you have put out so far, and god help you if you've already spent your advance. So in the context of popular music, yes, to a large extend your message is invalidated once you take it to that level of commercialization. that's why you see so many indie artists selling songs to use as commercials. If a band gets iPod to use a song in a commercial, the money that they get from that allows them to record on their own dime and not be forced to compromise their artistic vision.

plus, Green Day opened the door for Blink 182 and Good Charlotte, and that really is unforgivable.

8)

Quote from: maynard's dickHooker with a Penis   I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a dope beastie-tee, nipple rings, and new tattoos that claimed that he was OGT, from '92, the first EP. and in between sips of coke he told me that he thought we were sellin' out, layin' down, suckin' up to the man. Well now I've got some advice for you, little buddy. Before you point the finger you should know that I'm the man, and if I'm the man, then you're the man, and he's the man as well so you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass. All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit, and you bought one. So I've got some Advice for you, little buddy. Before you point your finger You should know that I'm the man. If I'm the fuckin' man then you're the fuckin' man as well, So you can Point that fuckin' finger up your ass. All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit, And you bought one. All you read and Wear or see and Hear on TV Is a product Begging for your Fatass dirty Dollar So ... Shut up and Buy my new record Send more money Fuck you, buddy.

such a great song. tool are such fuckin sellouts, i want to have maynard's baby.
Hell is other people.

The Good Reverend Roger

You would be surprised...All that stuff about band camp is mostly true...Just because symphony groupies may not be as sexy as band groupies doesn't make a difference. :wink:

They let former band students breed?

That's ridiculous.  Never gonna happen.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

They let former band students breed?

That's ridiculous.  Never gonna happen.

I played the flute.  My sister played the clarinet. My brother played the coronet.  We have 4 kids between us.  My hubby played guitar, before the incident.

Zurtok Khan

Wow El, thats like the first verse of a song =P
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Zurtok KhanWow El, thats like the first verse of a song =P

A Merle Haggard song, maybe.  :lol: