News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

REJOICE!

Started by gnimbley, May 28, 2005, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donkeyotay

I don't care what you say..AMerican idiot is a good song..Besides, how do we know they are not using the industry to subvert the youth and turn them all into dissenters?

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: agent compassion
Quote from: Miss Octoberyou do understand the irony of quoting the lyrics of a band who is signed to a major label and sells zillions of copies and has t-shirts plastered all over Hot Topic to express your feelings of disenfranchisement, right?

Hey man, quit bashing the Green Day.

8)

Now, now...how can we be elitists, if we allow ourselves to listen to anything mainstream?

:lol:

i like that one song by britney spears.
Hell is other people.

Donkeyotay

Hit me baby one more time?

I heard a kick ass version of it by Dweezil and Ahmet..Or maybe it was oops I did it again

Horab Fibslager

there's a few good covers. the one i'm on about has been attributed to mr. bungle, but apparently it's not them who does it.
Hell is other people.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: Miss Octoberyou do understand the irony of quoting the lyrics of a band who is signed to a major label and sells zillions of copies and has t-shirts plastered all over Hot Topic to express your feelings of disenfranchisement, right?

8)
So, now we should hate them because they got a record contract?  Isn't that the whole point?  And having money doesn't make a person feel better about this country, necessarily.

AC, Miss October, hehehe  :twisted:

East Coast Hustle

8)

negative, ghost rider.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
So, now we should hate them because they got a record contract?  Isn't that the whole point?

yes, it is the whole point and THAT'S the problem.

8)

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

gnimbley

Quote from: contradictory dilemma.i'm gonna assume it satircal.

Nope. Sorry.

LMNO

9/10, gnimbly.

oh, ok.  9.5 out of 10.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mob Rule
So, now we should hate them because they got a record contract?  Isn't that the whole point?

8)

So, anyone who takes their message to the masses automatically invalidates that message?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Not automatically.

It takes a little time before the message is invalidated.

But the window is shrinking exponetially...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNONot automatically.

It takes a little time before the message is invalidated.

But the window is shrinking exponetially...

Well, these days, you have 3 choices:

1.  Work with the evil recording companies.

2.  BECOME the evil recording companies, by starting your own label.

3.  Play in shitty bars for eternity, where people are too drunk to understand your message, and keep telling yourself that you're an artiste.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Hey, I fully accept and realize that if I ever make a career out of music, it will be because I sold out in some way.

I just I wish I had the chance to sell out years ago...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNOHey, I fully accept and realize that if I ever make a career out of music, it will be because I sold out in some way.

I just I wish I had the chance to sell out years ago...

Politics, music, you name it.  EVERYONE has their price, and most people that bitch about it are just pissed because nobody has bid on them.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: Mob Rule

8)

So, anyone who takes their message to the masses automatically invalidates that message?
I don't really want to launch into a 10-page lecture on how the music business works, so here's the cliff's notes version:

Most bands that are offered a recording contract with one of the big 5 (or even many of the "major indie" labels) are only allowed to keep their artistic freedom if their vision happens to coincide with what the label thinks will sell. If you sign a 5-album deal and your first album doesn't go multiplatinum, when you go into the studio to record your second album the label says "sound like this and sell more albums next time around or else." If you still don't produce the second time around, you most likely get dropped from the label and owe them the balance of what they spend on recording whatever you have put out so far, and god help you if you've already spent your advance. So in the context of popular music, yes, to a large extend your message is invalidated once you take it to that level of commercialization. that's why you see so many indie artists selling songs to use as commercials. If a band gets iPod to use a song in a commercial, the money that they get from that allows them to record on their own dime and not be forced to compromise their artistic vision.

plus, Green Day opened the door for Blink 182 and Good Charlotte, and that really is unforgivable.

8)