News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Rev Roger, Sermon #29: Taking Discordianism(tm) back.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 08, 2005, 10:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

I'll leave it to Verthaine to explain how and why he considers himself Erisian rather than Discordian.
I know that he's proud to be among those who love Eris.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI'll leave it to Verthaine to explain how and why he considers himself Erisian rather than Discordian.
Fair enough.  Can you tell me why you call yourself a Discordian rather than an Erisian?

Bella

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI'll leave it to Verthaine to explain how and why he considers himself Erisian rather than Discordian.
Fair enough.  Can you tell me why you call yourself a Discordian rather than an Erisian?
That's easy. I don't remember why I decided to call myself Discordian rather than Erisian.
I'm sure I had a good reason at the time, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was.

Sorry
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

N'yo B?© (Lazy)

i am an erisian, part of whom is a discordian.

i'm also a discordian, part of whom is erisian.

i'm also something completely different.

what a discordian is, ad verbatum, is someone who believes in the discordant properties of Eris/Discordia, as per greek mythos, the Principia, or any 'Discord Based' ideology. this means (as per me), those
see the oppertunity to cause mayhem of some degree by means of a
distructive route. An erisian, verbatum, is someone who Follows/Believes in/Worships, etc, Eris of greek mythology. for the sake of semantics and
dualistic pluralism, though, we'll say that an erisian is one of the Discordian (TM) Faith(?) who prefers to employ the creative route as a primary means of propagating Chaos.

not to imply that either of this caste (creative/destructive) doesn't ever
employ, or does not enjoy, or appreciate the other. we all follow along that same path within our own paths. we acknowledge the double-dualistic matrix of Order/Disorder-Creative/Destructive. acknowledging that dualism means we experience it in cycles, and if you know well enough of cycles, one can break the cycle and free roam that matix. (or any matrix.
call it "Debugging")

NOW. . .

roger, i hear what you're saying, and i understand and even share the feeling you're expressing.

BUT. . .

i fail to see how you expect to rally others by saying 'hey, you're probably one of those people just blowing smoke out yer ass...so fuck off." remember that one hand does one thing, and another does another,
but they serve the same body.

without both hands, how could the juggling take place?
you yourself, rog, said that you didn't see much diff between SubGenius and DIscordianism. i see appendages.

not telling you what to do, just saying...

Horab Fibslager

a discordian could be someone who prefers to cause chaos, jsut as an erisian could be one who worships. either coudleb one that appreciates both and enjoys watchign the counterpush pull as the state collapses. or maybe thats a chaoist.

there is no matrix anywhere.
Hell is other people.

N'yo B?© (Lazy)

Quotethere is no matrix anywhere.

and the one you create? to interact? that's not a matrix, however temporary, of ideas, choices, perceptions and happenstance? etc?
well, were one to wish a different symbol be used, go for it. but the symbol is the same.

otherwise, yes to all of the above, including this statement/

Horab Fibslager

you mean the bio/psychological filters adn the .3second gap between what is and what we percieve?

i wouldnt' call it a matrix, i'd call it perception, urgh.

unless you're talkign abotu metaprogramming, which is related as well to rpocesing incomign information and reactons to it, as well as nonreactionary behaviour and so on and so forth.

why break it? breaking it leads to bad magumbo and general insanity. why? because our nature(that is of humans) i sno t purely defined psychologically but bilogically as well, adn order adn disorder are one fo th eprimary dualisitc forces of the universe, push[pullign each othe rto drive the great machine. there are cycles of a sort, btu it's mroe like el nino and the weather in general than any sort of soemtimes it's blue, sometimes its red. or soemtimes it's winter here, and nto there, wher eit is spring whiel whenit is sumemr here it is fall over here and winter fver there, while it is raining in winter spring and smmer, and snowing in hjuly over there, during summer, and sunny and balmy in janary over here, whiel voer ehre there are tornadoes and over there there is not even a breeze and so on and so forth.
Hell is other people.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doom
Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
That's easy. I don't remember why I decided to call myself Discordian rather than Erisian.
I'm sure I had a good reason at the time, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was.

Sorry
See, this is why I hate labels, some silly person like me comes along asking questions, hehehe :shock:  :twisted:

Ben

Are Discordians and Erisians the same thing or not?  Whether you identify as a Discordian or an Erisian, she is known by both Greeks and Romans as the Goddess of DISCORD!

Very few people are discordant all the time, which is why I think of myself as more of a quasian and paradoxian.  Paradoxian because sometimes I do discordant things to relax like listening to metal or killing and slicing people up for Bella [FBI paranoia](metaphorically speaking of course)[/FBI paranoia].  Ah the peace of psychosis.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Hats off to Roger.

It's about time we took back Discordianism!

Myself, I am redeyed Discordian. A messiah, a saint, and some other shit that impresses Baptists after I slap them around a bit.

I am also Erisian....as in the old Hellenic cult of Eris worship. But we'll leave that one for another day. I am not here to push my religion.

I am here to push Discordianism. While it's still legal.

Hell, you can't complain. It's better than Scientology.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: OMAre Discordians and Erisians the same thing or not?  Whether you identify as a Discordian or an Erisian, she is known by both Greeks and Romans as the Goddess of DISCORD!

Very few people are discordant all the time, which is why I think of myself as more of a quasian and paradoxian.  Paradoxian because sometimes I do discordant things to relax like listening to metal or killing and slicing people up for Bella [FBI paranoia](metaphorically speaking of course)[/FBI paranoia].  Ah the peace of psychosis.

they are simulataneously different and identical. discordia is the arcane synonym. the harmonious antonym, the peaceful strife.
Hell is other people.

hooplala

Personally, I do think everyone is discordian, whether they admit it or not.  As I see it if you are doing to work of the goddess you are discordian, even if you are merely a discordian puppet.

People like Bush and Hussein and Kissenger should have a special place in discordianism, in my opinion, some distinct class of discordian.  The blind discordians, or something similar.

I consider myself Discordian and Erisian.  Why should I deny myself anything?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I'm not in the mood to go into semantics today, but I'd say that Roger (and Turd) tend to exemplify Discordian thought, and Verthaine (and gnimbley) tend to exemplify Erisian thought.

Maybe.  I could be lying.

LMNO
-Erisian.

N'yo B?© (Lazy)

isn't it called 'anerisic' ? those non-chaos liking people that just seem to spread it around, not matter how they try the opposite?

and re: horab...
yes, i agree there, but the dualism of creation/destruction, etc is only a distiction we make in our mind. CHAOS is chaos, no matter how you divide it or what you call it, the concept is. but we, in our minds, seperate the aspects of CHAOS, and call it polarity.

the average person will have a perception matrix very esily defined as a
"good/bad" system. i'm also talking about metaprogramming, conscious and otherwise. 'not knowing' how to metaprogram doesn't mean someone can't accidentally metaprogram.. (though, intentional metaprogramming, i like to call debugging or matrix roaming or some other metaphoric witticism...)

as for your analogy for enviornmental parallels...that's just earth-perspective. almost none of us have existed in space *off the planet*. call me crazy (aren't we all?) but i'm one of those people who has the suspicion that we're headed for the stars if we don't kill everyone first.

planet-side life is always subject to cycles, but do we know anything else yet?

LMNO

From the PD...  take it for what it's worth:

Eristic Illusion = The belief that disorder is better than order.

Aneristic Illusion = The Belief that order is better than disorder.

"Aneristic" behaviour is usually referred to here as the majority of behaviour by Greyfaces.