News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

The PD.Com Boards Have Gone To Hell!!!

Started by gnimbley, July 16, 2005, 12:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent compassion

Whether or not we go transhuman or something else, gnimbley's point remains - the future belongs to the kids and the kids are under someone else's spell.

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

Bella

Quote from: agent compassionWhether or not we go transhuman or something else, gnimbley's point remains - the future belongs to the kids and the kids are under someone else's spell.
He's also making the point that the reason the kids are under someone else's spell is that we don't always take the time or the trouble to interact civilly with them while they're here. We have several young people on these forums who, in my opinion, have been treated rather poorly recently. It pisses me off and makes me sad.

Personally, I like kids and teenagers, and think they have a hell of a lot to offer us older folk. Being around younger people helps keep us young in spirit and in touch with the way the world is heading - new ideas, new attitudes, a fresh way of looking at things. By their very nature, young people are the embodiment of change and growth and chaos. Our culture makes it easy to forget that every generation has something to gain from hanging out with people both older and younger than themselves.  I consider it an honor when a young person wants to hang out with me. When my daughters friends come to visit, eat my food, share their problems (which are every bit as real as my problems) , play the guitar - whatever - they leave some of their love for life behind. It's a joyful exchange and I'm richer when they leave. Hopefully, they feel the same way.

We are creatures of light and energy and mind - the body, whatever it's age, is a container for this energy. Why limit ourselves to people whose containers were created about the same time as our own? That's just shallow and silly. It's like saying "I can't play with you because your house was only built 15 years ago." Without our young people, we get old and stuffy and set in our ways, the younger ones miss out on whatever we have to share, and Discordianism goes the way of the Shakers.

ps: I don't think the gnome was drunk, although it's quite possible that he went and got drunk as soon as he wrote this.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Iron Sulfide

Ya' stupid Yank.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

The Oracle puts the icing on the gnome's cake, er, cookie :D

gnimbley

Quote from: DiLyou couldnt have made it shorter?  :(

Yeah, but I dinna wanna. (Those of you with short attention spans can
stop reading now. It's okay. Take a nap or somethin')

Quote from: N'yo B?©, Terrorist Zenjai don't think 'transhumanism' is necessarily the next step, perhaps something in line with that though.

Well, I am reading The Spike which is where the word transhuman
comes from. The future is not ours to see. So it is just a conjecture.
But something like that is going to happen.

Quote from: N'yo B?©, Terrorist Zenja(BTW, i think i classify as one of those kids you speak of. Few of you
prolly know this, but i'm only 19. well, 20 in aboot a month. but still, that's
reasonably young.)

Pleased to meet cha, punk.

Quote from: Zurtok KhanI'm only 19, too, and a few months younger then you by the sounds of it.  Of course, I plan to revolutionize the field of Anthropology/Archeology, so I don't think I'm going to become a transhuman or anything like that.

Don't bet on it. Anthropolgy will be important. The new humans will need
some direction.

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomHe's also making the point that the reason the kids are under someone else's that we don't always take the time or the trouble to interact civilly with them while they're here. We have several young people on these forums who, in my opinion, have been treated rather poorly recently. It pisses me off and makes me sad.

Ask yourselves two questions: Why did you come here? Why did you
stay?

I came here because I stumbled across discordianism and found a link
to this site on Wikipedia. We all come here because we found a link.

I have a link on my blog. I used to mail Bella for President flyers
with the website address to credit card companies that sent me nice
little free mailing envelopes. (Now they put bar codes on the envelopes
which I dutifully cut off before mailing.) And I also, well, do other stuff.

We catch people by chance. The crucial part: is why do they stick
around?

Most discordian sites are static. This one is interactive. But most
importantly, when I first showed up it appeared to be a community of
people who were non-judgemental and having fun. A crucial aspect of
the appeal of this site is that anyone can participate.

And everyone seemed to be having fun!

And I ask you. If you went to a new board and saw that everybody was
being mean to each other and spitting out a lot of hate, how many of you
would think, "Boy, this is my kind of place" and stick around? If we want
them here, we have to attract them. (Gets out the big jar of honey.)

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doomps: I don't think the gnome was drunk, although it's quite possible that he went and got drunk as soon as he wrote this.
Damn. You're on to me. Damn sneaky psychic.

::runs away::

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: agent compassionWhether or not we go transhuman or something else, gnimbley's point remains - the future belongs to the kids and the kids are under someone else's spell.

i'm still trying to show kids my age that you can program your own
trip.

(and if you're not programming your own trip, then who's programming it?)
Ya' stupid Yank.

Bella

Quote from: N'yo B?©, Terrorist Zenjai'm still trying to show kids my age that you can program your own
trip.

Great point. I'm stealing it.

ps: Good luck running away, gnome. I have cookies, so I suspect you'll be back.  :wink:
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

fluffy

phhffftttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gnomes are full of shit

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doom
Quote from: N'yo B?©, Terrorist Zenjai'm still trying to show kids my age that you can program your own
trip.

Great point. I'm stealing it.

ps: Good luck running away, gnome. I have cookies, so I suspect you'll be back.  :wink:

i stole that from RAW, who i think in turn stole it from Leary, or something.

i have a soft spot of aphorisms. anything that can contain more information than is written in it gets my attention/
Ya' stupid Yank.

Slarti

Verthaine

The gnome truly rocks.That is wisdom at its best.
Vincent Sebastian Verthaine, K.S.C.
Omni-Belevolent Poly- Father of Hedonism In Black of The Erisian Holy City of the Discordian Parish of New Orleans.

Goddess-Son of Sssbela,Prophetess of Doom

Pastor of the Church of Eris,New Orleans

Horab Fibslager

Hell is other people.

Why did I come here?  Why did I stay?

1  I was looking for illuminati stuff when National Treasure came out.  I had been looking at Prinicpia Discordia stuff since 1997.  I decided I would like to check out other Discordians.  I hadn't noticed a forum before.  The first 2 or 3 years of my son's life I was pretty distracted by his needs and I was coming out of that into my own self again.   :shock:  :?  :wink:

2  In the beginning I think it was mostly to spite the people who pissed me off after my first few posts.  Also because I was ballsy enough to contact people and they encouraged me in spiting the assholes.  They still do :twisted:

Also, one of the few men who contacted me on Yahoo IM that did not hit on me talked about Eris and lots of other stuff.  He still gets on yahoo once every month or two and we share evil, I mean spiritual ideas :twisted:

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I think I first visited this site 3 or 5 years ago and just read the book, never really noticed the forum either. Some of the other discordians I've met before did the same thing. Personally I think there are a good amount of positive threads here but the negative threads seem to stand out more. I kind of like having a little bastardishness on a forum though, as long as people are funny about it.

1  We already have bionic ears, they are called cochlear implants.

2  Ditto for bionic eyes, not sure what they are called.

3  Amputees can get arms with fingers that can sense touch, hot, cold and fingers that work.

4  Quadroplegics have special computers that can interface without the person using their hands, I have seen a couple different versions, not sure how they work.

Another good book is a novel by Tad Williams, called Otherland.  It is really long, 4 long books long, but it explores what our future may be like and things that go wrong and things that go right.  The kids have connectors that connect their brains directly to their computers, directly to the internet.