News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

The PD.Com Boards Have Gone To Hell!!!

Started by gnimbley, July 16, 2005, 12:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Hey, you forgot a plethora of feet/legs that can make amputees run faster than normal human beings (I think its like ~30 mph). Yeah, things are definitely gonna get really wierd in the future and I'm all for it. Boinic everything! We've also got replacement hearts and bones, and its only a matter of time before they can shrink dialisys (SP?) machines down to the size of a kidney. Once nanotech becomes more established I bet things are going to get even more sci-fi.

East Coast Hustle

WITHOUT STEM CELLS, ALL YOUR BIONIC MAN WILL BELONG TO US!!!!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Buddha's Ghost Penis

WHY DID YOU BAN ME!?!?!

East Coast Hustle

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

illusion

Nah, he probably just hates you and your mama.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

That's OK, when we turn into transhumans we will give them some new brains that make them stick on topic :P

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: illusionNah, he probably just hates you and your mama.

HOW COULD ANYBODY HATE BABS?

gnimbley

I bought the first Otherland book. It was boring. Best thing he wrote was
that cat book.

Quote from: gnimbleyI bought the first Otherland book. It was boring. Best thing he wrote was
that cat book.

The first one had to set up all the characters.  I think that book would make baby Stephen King cry :shock: I dpn't like the way he ended the whole thing, well I liked parts of it.  But the middle two books were good.  I think it is the second one, they go through all the worlds that were created, fascinating.  And twisted.  They find out how each world started and some of the things that went wrong.

I have the cat one, that was so cool.  Plus, Tad Williams has had more jobs, a more diverse collection of jobs than I have :lol:  :lol:

Donkeyotay

I read this book..it was one of a series..I can't remeber the name of it but perhaps gnimbley knows what it is

It's about this space craft that is made of nanomachines...It can change its shape and do all kinds of neat stuff...It is a some long, infinite space exploration voyage...There are only like 3 or 4 crewmembers too..I remeber in the end one of them sacrafices his life for the crew or the universe, I can't remeber but, the cool thing was was that his consciousness was downloaded int the ships computer and the nanomachines grew him a new body and downloaded his consciousness into it..THe new guy was aware of the old guy but was the same guy...It was an interesting tale

gnimbley

Quote from: DonkeyotayI read this book..it was one of a series..I can't remeber the name of it but perhaps gnimbley knows what it is

It's about this space craft that is made of nanomachines...It can change its shape and do all kinds of neat stuff...It is a some long, infinite space exploration voyage...There are only like 3 or 4 crewmembers too..I remeber in the end one of them sacrafices his life for the crew or the universe, I can't remeber but, the cool thing was was that his consciousness was downloaded int the ships computer and the nanomachines grew him a new body and downloaded his consciousness into it..THe new guy was aware of the old guy but was the same guy...It was an interesting tale

Nope. There are several with similar features. But nothing rings a bell
for that plot exactly.

Drunken Monkey Cabal

Malaul

Quote from: gnimbley

And I ask you. If you went to a new board and saw that everybody was
being mean to each other and spitting out a lot of hate, how many of you
would think, "Boy, this is my kind of place" and stick around? If we want
them here, we have to attract them. (Gets out the big jar of honey.)

Ive felt this way forra long time G and couldnt put into the right words
As much as I hate rules adn what not inna place like this, we need em at time, It sucks, but the truth generally does. Imgine what this place woulfa been like if AnE were still here, if a lot of threads and pics hadnt been taken down?
::shudder::
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Malaul

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy1  We already have bionic ears, they are called cochlear implants.

2  Ditto for bionic eyes, not sure what they are called.

3  Amputees can get arms with fingers that can sense touch, hot, cold and fingers that work.

4  Quadroplegics have special computers that can interface without the person using their hands, I have seen a couple different versions, not sure how they work.

Another good book is a novel by Tad Williams, called Otherland.  It is really long, 4 long books long, but it explores what our future may be like and things that go wrong and things that go right.  The kids have connectors that connect their brains directly to their computers, directly to the internet.
Ive read these
DAMN GOOD
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

I've read a lot of Tad Williams' books.  Sometimes I think he is like a modern day Tolkein, sometimes like a scifi Stephen King.  I was gonna say non horror, but some of the shit that went down in Otherland was really twisted.  Worse than anything I could dream up, and that is saying a lot.