Started by Malaclypse the Tertiary, July 24, 2005, 09:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Cain

Quote from: triple zero on January 23, 2008, 05:34:05 PM
Quote from: LMNO on January 23, 2008, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: Terry Pratchett, "Feet of Clay""Is It Frightening To Be Free?"

"You said it."

"You Say To People, 'Throw Off Your Chains' And They Make New Chains For Themselves."

"Seems to be a major human activity, yes."

Dorfl rumbled as he thought about this.  "Yes," he said eventually, "I Can See Why.  Freedom Is Like Having The Top Of Your Head Opened Up."

"I'll have to take your word for that, Constable."

we should make a thread in the lit. board for discordianesque Pratchett quotes. there's an awful lot of them.

Agreed.  Make it so, Number 1.
\

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 24, 2008, 04:20:05 AM
if you feel like it, add your cults cabals to this wiki:

http://s23.org/wiki/Discordian_Cabals

I can't seem to figure out how to edit it so that my cabal appears properly in the boxy things.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Iason Ouabache

Pope Iason Ouabache the Obscure founder of the Holy Disorder of Dialectic Chao Tippers.  I'm not smart enough/creative enough to have my own website yet.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Reeducation

I am very calm

Malaul

My Cabals - Those Who Will Not Be Named - a subset of CHOAP
and then there is also the Illuminaughty.
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Disorder on February 15, 2008, 08:40:06 AM
I am unholy!
I've got a friend who is aholy.  Occasionally he is also a-hole-y.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

nostalgicBadger

So, I realize that this happened on the first or second page of this thread, but at some point somebody mentioned a cafe in Pittsburgh. Are there actually people from Pittsburgh on here?

I'm from the other side of the state, but I'm going to school in Greensburg right now and I'm relocating to Pittsburgh in the Fall. I have friends there but they're the types who don't have much inclination to leave their rooms, so they have not found much in the way of places to go and relax. I haven't even seen a good coffee shop in Pittsburgh yet. Maybe someone could suggest some decent spots?
meh.

the other anonymous

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on February 19, 2008, 09:23:03 PM
So, I realize that this happened on the first or second page of this thread, but at some point somebody mentioned a cafe in Pittsburgh. Are there actually people from Pittsburgh on here?

I'm from the other side of the state, but I'm going to school in Greensburg right now and I'm relocating to Pittsburgh in the Fall. I have friends there but they're the types who don't have much inclination to leave their rooms, so they have not found much in the way of places to go and relax. I haven't even seen a good coffee shop in Pittsburgh yet. Maybe someone could suggest some decent spots?

The intersection of East Carson Street and South 14 Street in South Side: The BeeHive. The coffee sucks, but the weed sucks, too.

If you don't like it, there should still be a StarBuck's across the street. ;)

-toa,
doesn't have much inclination to leave his room

mungojelly

My cabal is recently called Dysnomianism.  It's only a cabal as recently as this paragraph, having once been a workshop series entitled Reality Break, before being a subsect of Discordianism and later a splinter religion.  Dysnomianism has not yet had any converts, as converts are generally obtained by holding onto some metaphysical or practical consistency & then cramming it into the brains of passersby.  Dysnomianism is always changing.  Dysnomianism is not changing right now.  Now it is again.  (One can only keep up with Dysnomianism at a healthy jogging pace, and it is always changing direction.)

Dysnomianism might be found one day under your kitchen table, pretending to be a mote of dust.  You might sweep it up and start to throw it into the trash, but before it struck the can it would have transformed into a late-night jam session in a deep south jazz club.  Dysnomianism doesn't peform encores.  It doesn't perform at all.  It isn't a religion, or a subsect, or a jam session.  Dysnomianism is presently a half-formed concept creeping into your mind's eye's peripheral vision.  Now it's gone.

There is nothing called Dysnomianism.  There is a goddess, let's call her Dysnomia Daughter Of Eris, and she inspires a mystery cult, let us call it Those Who Follow Dysnomia.  Whereas the act of being a Discordian-- let us forget for a moment those who are so foolish as to believe there is something so tangible as a discordian belief system-- the act of being Discordian is to invent something so fun that it couldn't possibly be true and then to believe it for the fuck of it, the act of being one of Those Who Follow Dysnomia is the act of taking everything you actually believe in your heart of hearts, with which you will not part for any reason, and fitting it for a pair of concrete shoes.  Dysnomia takes no prisoners, because by the time you are captured, your ideas of freedom and control themselves are shredded wisps streaming from the smashed remains of what you once thought was your paradigm.  You will wish that she had only questioned your reality once at once, as Eris so tamely does, instead of questioning it all the way down, all the way downtown, the final turtle made into turtle-soup.

There's something called Dysnomianism, again.  It's a Discordian Cabal.  It's something you can understand; now it's not.  It's a black hole of thought, unyielding, not in this for any purpose, not even lulz.  Dysnomia is the doubt which rests, solid as a rock, behind all shifting veils of certainty.  Everyone is a Dysnomian, for just this sentence.  Now it's back to being just me.  Existence is what happens when you do the same thing more than once in a row; Dysnomianism does not exist.  You are not welcome.  You are of course welcome, and you may join, but you will not succeed in pinning it down.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Oh, shut up.  It was actually somewhat coherent, which is more than you can say about cat~maxwell.

AFK

LMNO

AFK

Don't mind me, it's just my 30-something-angst talking. 

"30-something-angst has paid off well
Now I'm Bald and Old."