News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

Prayer - Ranting for the Helluvit

Started by Zurtok Khan, July 27, 2005, 08:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zurtok Khan

So, you're praying to the Great Spirit, the Creator of Everything...and you're doing the talking?
- Cool, Dead Indian Guy on Dharma and Greg

Prayer.  Prayer is for the arrogent.  Well, at least in the way we normally think of it.  I mean, really.  If you first take the assumption that there is a big Guy/Gal up there somewhere who actually cares what you do...and sees everything...and knows everything...and can do everything...well, wouldn't that make the whole prayer thing obsolete?  Wouldn't it make it the height of arrogence to say, "Hey, you!  I know you know everything, but I think I know more then you, so give me something that I want, because I want to feed my EGO." (Thank you, Hugh)

I can understand prayer on some level.  No real believer in Yahweh/Allah/whoever wouldever pray, at least for things on this temporal plane.  All things, one would assume, would be provided.  When an intelligence that is so vastly supieier to yours (so vastly that it incompasses everything), don't you think he's/she's already provided you with what you need?  And, that it is NOT a new Ferrari?  

I can understand praying about the Otherworld.  I mean, you're scared shitless about it, and you want some comfort.  Alright, have a pacifier.  Sure, it's a bit infantile, but I can respect that.  I do infantile things all the time, so you can go ahead and have your security blanket.  Salvation is a fine thing, but praying for it never got anyone there.  Empty words and lies to yourself about how you'll do better tomorrow are never going to get you anywhere.  

So, what is there to pray for?  Hrrm, this took me a bit of thought.  There is Patience.  And, perhaps Thanks.  The Patience to endure the oft arduos tasks set before, and Thanks...because even omnipotent beings need to feel appreciated every once and awhile, or else they get bitchy.   :twisted:

But, why am I telling a bunch of Discordians-who-obviously-know-better all of this?  Who the fuck knows?  I'm sure most (if not all) of you have prayed before.  Whether in some different perception of Eris that I know not of, or to other Gods in times you may-not-want-to-remember-for-whatever-reason.  It is our EMO moments when we cry out to the universe about how terrible life is, and how it should be different.  But, I suppose that makes prayer more Juvenile then Infantile.  Either way.

Please, slap the Sage silly.
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

BADGE OF HONOR

QuoteBut, why am I telling a bunch of Discordians-who-obviously-know-better all of this?

You're telling yourself.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Zurtok Khan

I already told myself.

I figure everyone else should be as annoyed with me as I am.
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

BADGE OF HONOR

There's telling yourself by yourself, then there's telling it to yourself by announcing it for all to scrutinize.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Zurtok Khan

And then there's me wondering if you're Eric.

THOU HAST BEEN PWNED!
Resistance is Fertile.

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain

BADGE OF HONOR

Wow...that's about as clever as calling me unpatriotic.   :lol:

Zurtok Khan

One need not be clever if one is QUICK.

Or well, as long as one is something...I think...
Resistance is Fertile.

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Zurtok KhanOne need not be clever if one is LOUD.

Fixed that for you.

Zurtok Khan

Precisely, I'll leave the clever to you (as I just did...wasn't that clever manipulation?) and I'll be the loud.

:twisted:
Resistance is Fertile.

-Mark Twain

-Mark Twain