News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Get Out the Violins or A Call For Immediate Violence

Started by AFK, August 23, 2005, 06:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

if he had forced himself on her, he would have been accused of sexual battery, which would have resulted in serious jail time and no interview on national TV. everything about the circumstances of the case heavily implies consent by both parties. if we operate under the assumption that consent was given by both parties, then while what he did might have been distatsteful, to criminalize it is absolutely ridiculous.

when I was 16, I might not have been totally emotionally mature, but I was certainly able to understand and deal with the consequences of my decisions in that regard, and part of becoming emotionally mature is to go through various situations ad learn from the experiences. When I was 16, I hooked up with a 29 year old nurse who was on her vacation (I told her I was 22). Legally, what she did was statutory rape, a felony that would have stigmatized her for life, and yet I was not victimized in any way. If anything, it gave me a leg up on how to be a pimp. My guess (and this is just me taking a flyer, but I'm not so old that I've forgotten how this sort of thing works) is that her parents found out about what happened (probably snooped her IM conversations) and wigged out and she decided that given the choice between admitting to her parents that she was horny and shagging an older guy or saying "I didn't want to! I'm still your good little angel, but he forced me!", she took the easy way out.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name?
Quote from: LMNO
Saying how he would doing it is different than saying how he did do it.

Not to the cops, the media, and the fact that he'll never get a security job again.  ever.

In Jewell's case that is correct.  He did get a raw deal.

Yeah, but he shouldn't complain about what happened to him.  He should never have been the conspicuous fat guy in Atlanta when the bomb went off.

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerThe cops are honest, in your world?  :lol:

What color is the sky?

Um, it's black.

And Jewell never said "Hey, I did it! "
The subject of this post did say "Hey, I did it!"
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: LMNOYeah, but he shouldn't complain about what happened to him.  He should never have been the conspicuous fat guy in Atlanta when the bomb went off.

No, he should complain because he maintained his innocence and was in fact innocent.  Subject of the post maintains his guilt and was in fact guilty.

LMNO

I suspect he said, "hey, i was convicted of it."

There's a difference.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerThe cops are honest, in your world?  :lol:

What color is the sky?

Um, it's black.

And Jewell never said "Hey, I did it! "
The subject of this post did say "Hey, I did it!"

Jewell:  According to the FBI and the Atlanta police, he did.

This guy:  According to whom?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Um, no actually he said "I made a mistake. I was guilty. But, I'm never going to do it again."

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Jewell:  According to the FBI and the Atlanta police, he did.

This guy:  According to whom?

According to himself.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name?Um, no actually he said "I made a mistake. I was guilty. But, I'm never going to do it again."

POLICE:  If you did it, would you do it again?

Dumbass:  No.

POLICE:  Subject says he regrets it, and wouldn't do it again.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name?Um, no actually he said "I made a mistake. I was guilty. But, I'm never going to do it again."

Suddenly, the guy who wasn't really paying attention to the TV because he was tending to his daughter "remembers" a direct quote (that he can't verify) from the newscast.

Wonders never cease.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger

POLICE:  If you did it, would you do it again?

Dumbass:  No.

POLICE:  Subject says he regrets it, and wouldn't do it again.

DISTRICT ATTORNEY: Are you guilty?

Dumbass: Not really.  There was consent.

DISTRICT ATTORNEY: Doesn't matter.  You can either fight this in court, and lose, and get 15-20 years in prison, or you can plead guilty and get 5 years, plus probation.

Dumbass:  Alright, you win.  Where do I sign?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO

Suddenly, the guy who wasn't really paying attention to the TV because he was tending to his daughter "remembers" a direct quote (that he can't verify) from the newscast.

Wonders never cease.

Aw, to hell with it.

I think we should give people the bastinado the moment they are accused.  Saves time on luxuries like "trials" and "juries".

We have no need of juries.  We have the media.

LMNO

AFK

I said I don't remember every freaking word.  I do remember that.  If the guy had been innocent the interview would have been about how he was framed.  The interview was about how he was guilty (to which he did admit.  Sorry I should not have used quotation marks) and how the punishment was affecting his inability to live where he wants to.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNOWorked for OJ...

Troof.

Judge Ito should have been tossed in the ocean.