News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Introduction thread / "What does discordia mean to you?"

Started by zackli, July 18, 2014, 03:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadKingBilly

To me....it's fundamentally about entropy

Everything - from atomic matter to human society - seeks to return to a 'chaotic' state

Within every organism there are factors that resist this movement (the aneristic principle if you will), and we can all appreciate their efforts - take organised religion or corporations in the human realm

Discordia is about pointing a finger at said obstacles

And laughing while you do it

I think the key question is: was the universe born from order - and is this inevitable declination toward disorder part of a pre-conceived 'blueprint'

In Qabalah/Buddhism etc. the thinking is toward man (and those lovely ladies) gradually moving toward the Godhead through continual reincarnation - is this a movement toward disorder - I personally think so

Thoughts?

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

minuspace

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: SadKingBilly on September 07, 2015, 10:26:53 PM
To me....it's fundamentally about entropy

Everything - from atomic matter to human society - seeks to return to a 'chaotic' state

Within every organism there are factors that resist this movement (the aneristic principle if you will), and we can all appreciate their efforts - take organised religion or corporations in the human realm

Discordia is about pointing a finger at said obstacles

And laughing while you do it

I think the key question is: was the universe born from order - and is this inevitable declination toward disorder part of a pre-conceived 'blueprint'

In Qabalah/Buddhism etc. the thinking is toward man (and those lovely ladies) gradually moving toward the Godhead through continual reincarnation - is this a movement toward disorder - I personally think so

Thoughts?

Yeah.

I think you're missing a full half of the equation. Entropy is the increasing disorder of the universe, but chaos is the balance between order and disorder, ie. between emergence and entropy. The Principia Discordia talks about this pretty explicitly, and it is represented by the conflicting arrows in the Five Fingered Hand of Eris.

I am frequently disheartened by all the Discordians I mean who seem to miss this aspect of the PD completely, and interpret chaos as solely meaning disorder, when the book tries so hard to dispel that interpretation. Order arises from disorder, and disorder from order; this is chaos.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

SadKingBilly

I find the quote:

I am frequently disheartened by all the Discordians I mean who seem to miss this aspect of the PD completely, and interpret chaos as solely meaning disorder, when the book tries so hard to dispel that interpretation. Order arises from disorder, and disorder from order; this is chaos.

Most interesting - anybody care to add?

What's the scientific angle?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: SadKingBilly on September 12, 2015, 12:50:41 AM
I find the quote:

:tyra:
Molon Lube

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: SadKingBilly on September 12, 2015, 12:50:41 AM
I find the quote:

QuoteI am frequently disheartened by all the Discordians I mean who seem to miss this aspect of the PD completely, and interpret chaos as solely meaning disorder, when the book tries so hard to dispel that interpretation. Order arises from disorder, and disorder from order; this is chaos.

Are you familiar with the concepts of emergence and entropy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy

Maybe this will be useful: http://phys.org/news/2013-04-emergence-complex-behaviors-causal-entropic.html

I also recommend reading the Principia Discordia.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

What does Discordia mean to me?  It means Richter is the only one who knows what MBTA connections we have to use.  It means Twid is hounding cops on Boston Common again.  It means LMNO finally got those special order underpants that can withstand that hideous strain induced by THE GAY BAR. 

It means Queen Gogira is fleecing the sheep, Cainad is telling me about FUCKING FRUIT LOOK AT THAT SHIT YOU PLEB, and ECH is finally getting enough fiber in his diet.

It means Nigel is loose with a baseball bat on the Burnside bridge again, keeping reality safe for the rest of us.  With perhaps a little too much vigor, but that is only to be expected of that saintly woman.  She is nothing if not dedicated, and Portland more or less asked for this shit anyway, when it took advantage of her trip to Peru, and sabotaged her washing machine.  We shall eventually have to sacrifice The Wizard Joseph to her.   No offense, TWJ, it's just one of those...things.

It means that Eater of Clowns is on the loose again, with his mouth full of power-assisted teeth.  It means he and Luna are going to Fall River again, to teach those fuckers something they'll never forget

Discordia means all of this and more.  It means my dog is finally getting enough chicken skin.  It means my wife not only tolerates my excesses and poor behavior, but is amused by it.

In short, Discordia means Saturday Night™.  And that is something you just can't explain to the zealots and the pimps and the fixers. 

And they won't listen if you try.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 14, 2015, 06:08:03 AM
What does Discordia mean to me?  It means Richter is the only one who knows what MBTA connections we have to use.  It means Twid is hounding cops on Boston Common again.  It means LMNO finally got those special order underpants that can withstand that hideous strain induced by THE GAY BAR. 

It means Queen Gogira is fleecing the sheep, Cainad is telling me about FUCKING FRUIT LOOK AT THAT SHIT YOU PLEB, and ECH is finally getting enough fiber in his diet.

It means Nigel is loose with a baseball bat on the Burnside bridge again, keeping reality safe for the rest of us.  With perhaps a little too much vigor, but that is only to be expected of that saintly woman.  She is nothing if not dedicated, and Portland more or less asked for this shit anyway, when it took advantage of her trip to Peru, and sabotaged her washing machine.  We shall eventually have to sacrifice The Wizard Joseph to her.   No offense, TWJ, it's just one of those...things.

It means that Eater of Clowns is on the loose again, with his mouth full of power-assisted teeth.  It means he and Luna are going to Fall River again, to teach those fuckers something they'll never forget

Discordia means all of this and more.  It means my dog is finally getting enough chicken skin.  It means my wife not only tolerates my excesses and poor behavior, but is amused by it.

In short, Discordia means Saturday Night™.  And that is something you just can't explain to the zealots and the pimps and the fixers. 

Amen!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 14, 2015, 06:08:03 AM

:eek: Roger's alive again and he has the Holies.

Telarus

The Empress Nigel and The Good Reverend Roger have made very salient points. One should meditate on them deeply (that means breathing deeply and with regular timing once the sense of horrormirth at your own paradoxically both-insignificant-and-overwhelmingly-powerful place in the universe sets in... ... ... there we go, keep breathing... no, no that anxiety won't ever go away completely... keep breathing...).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!