News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Fantasy Book?

Started by Merlin of Chaos, September 16, 2005, 05:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the other anonymous

How about the obvious choices?

Robert Shea

Philip K Dick (VALIS, The Divine Invasion, The Transmigration of Timothy Archer -- what's really fun is figuring out how these are a trilogy)

Schroedinger's Cat by RAW was kinda cool -- even if it was a cross-over with that pile of shit called Illuminatus

Oh, and a definite read is: Firefox.

Horab Fibslager

too bad, jordan was only getting started 10 yeara s ago. he didn't start milking till five or six years ago :P

fesit is anothe suggestion.  i thinkits he serpent war saga is the 2nd trilogy isn the series. proably the best overall(as fr as i;ve read)soem the chrachter are from teh previous but the newer carachter get filled out more than previous insltallemtns. difference bewtweeebn this and jordan is(WOT) IS  less charachter, dev. nto strong female chrachters, mroe emhpasis on plot than charaachter dev.. tho it's better than the previous instlalment and the single boko(except prince ofth eblood, which i felt was really good for charachter development)
Hell is other people.

ataraxia

Quote from: the other anonymous
Philip K Dick (VALIS, The Divine Invasion, The Transmigration of Timothy Archer -- what's really fun is figuring out how these are a trilogy)
Essentially, they're not. VALIS and The Divine Invasion were parts 1 and 2 of a trilogy, but... He died about 2 chapters into the first draft of the third one. The working title was "The Owl in Twilight".

The publisher pulled a bait-n-switch and stuffed Transmigration in as the third book, hoping nobody would notice.
Lossage, sausage, whatever.
http://scoriens.andrew.cmu.edu/

the other anonymous

OMFG! I read PKD and now my entire universe is falling apart!

I NO LONGER KNOW WHICH BOOK IS THE REAL THIRD BOOK!!!

DAMN YOU, PHIL!

The way I see it, everything PKD wrote is part of the same book, which oddly enough, is an autobiography. ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ataraxia
Quote from: the other anonymous
Essentially, they're not. VALIS and The Divine Invasion were parts 1 and 2 of a trilogy, but... He died about 2 chapters into the first draft of the third one. The working title was "The Owl in Twilight".

The publisher pulled a bait-n-switch and stuffed Transmigration in as the third book, hoping nobody would notice.

Philip K Dick was WAY too cheerful for me.

But, then again, I AM me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: Horab Fibslagerfantasy writers,

kow ho wto milk readers x10 than any grisham

Motorcycle.

with sidecar.

Sidecar?

Merlin of Chaos

What are your thoughts on "A Song of Fire and Ice" ?

Supposedly something good...
I don't know if this signature fits me, but I guess I'll have to try:

F.n.o.r.d!

Bella

I've never heard of it before. But the title alone sounds good.
Think I'll check it out. I haven't been much into fantasy books lately.
But my kid gave me a box full when she moved last month, so I'm about to start reading them.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

ataraxia

Quote from: Merlin of ChaosWhat are your thoughts on "A Song of Fire and Ice" ?

It was one of my recos. George R. R. Martin. Good if you like things to build up slowly and then kill important characters every two pages once it gets moving  :D

Merlin of Chaos

Quote from: Merlin of ChaosWhat are your thoughts on "A Song of Fire and Ice" ?

It was one of my recos. George R. R. Martin. Good if you like things to build up slowly and then kill important characters every two pages once it gets moving  :D

Not too much new, Chronicles of Amber had something like that.

But I'm looking forward to reading this series (Fire and Ice).
I don't know if this signature fits me, but I guess I'll have to try:

F.n.o.r.d!

ataraxia

My favorite Zelazny was always Doorways in the Sand. Any book where a 13-year career college student (who uses guerilla tactics to maintain his student status) is offered a peanut butter sandwich by an alien disguised as a kangaroo with an English accent while he's dying (literally) of thirst is all good with me. He also gets reversed by the Moebius strip machine and can't just go through again to fix it since it'd turn him inside out the second time.

It's kinda like Horab's story, come to think of it.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A