News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Fantasy Book?

Started by Merlin of Chaos, September 16, 2005, 05:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin of Chaos

Hey, Just asking for some suggestion for some Fantasy book, be it by Terry Pratchet (As in, Chaotic literature) or anyone else, doesn't really matter, I wanna read something and boggle my mind :P

But my needs are either Chaotic or something very Deep with a whole universe and alot of character interactivity and perhaps some fights but not too neccessary.

Thanks, or how someone from this forum would put it in his anti-hello term (But here I'm refering to my thanks) - UnThanks.
I don't know if this signature fits me, but I guess I'll have to try:

F.n.o.r.d!

Horab Fibslager

wheel of time. a bit tough to get into and slow on the buildup, but it's heavy, with dozen sof 'main' charachters, probaly a hundred or more named minor charachters, and a tnagled web of itnrgiue, relations andrivalry(etc and so on) politics and relgion intermingle and ar erepsented withotu saying so outright, deep rich cultures clash. i receomend it to anyone, even a moran liek j00!
Hell is other people.

agent compassion

The Tale of the Five by Diane Duane...there's 3 out of 4 books done so far, the first one's "The Door Into Fire" but the story really gets rolling in book 2, "The Door Into Shadow." Very realistic worlds and characters...trippy magic stuff too.

8)

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

gnimbley

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Bella

Time Enough for Love - Robert A Heinlein

It's the story of a 2,000 year old man named Lazarus Long. Lazarus is tired and he wants to die, but he's captured by some of his descendants who talk him into a Shahrzadelike scheme of storytelling to postpone death. Long tells them stories of his many adventures while they try to rejuvenate him and send on another adventure - this one to his own past.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

The Good Reverend Roger

The United States Budget, 2005 Ed.

Best fantasy EVAH!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Grampa Kaos

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerThe United States Budget, 2005 Ed.

Best fantasy EVAH!
geez rog  that was so funny i lost my thought as to what i was going to put...

R.A. Salvatore any of his serieses are great reads....but Dzz`t is the shit when it comes to cool characters..
Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mold-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of "the rat race" is not yet final.
     - HUNTER S. THOMPSON, 1937-2005

MEAT            C.R.S.F. cause i'm a joiner

ataraxia

Steven Erikson. Or George R. R. Martin. Neither of these are my favorite writers, but they're both good and fit the bill. I think Erikson is a little better.
(MY favorites are Gene Wolfe, John Crowley, China Mieville, M John Harrison, Guy Gavriel Kay, stuff like that. The real wackos like Paul Park are sometimes fun too.)
Lossage, sausage, whatever.
http://scoriens.andrew.cmu.edu/

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ataraxiaSteven Erikson. Or George R. R. Martin. Neither of these are my favorite writers, but they're both good and fit the bill. I think Erikson is a little better.
(MY favorites are Gene Wolfe, John Crowley, China Mieville, M John Harrison, Guy Gavriel Kay, stuff like that. The real wackos like Paul Park are sometimes fun too.)

Martin can either finish the Dance of Dragons series, or kiss my ass.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

ataraxia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: ataraxiaSteven Erikson. Or George R. R. Martin. Neither of these are my favorite writers, but they're both good and fit the bill. I think Erikson is a little better.

Ayo. I already forgot the stuff in the ones that are out so far, and who knows if I'll feel up to rereading them so I can get into the new one coming up.

Buddha's Ghost Penis

WHY DID YOU BAN ME!?!?!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ataraxia

Ayo. I already forgot the stuff in the ones that are out so far, and who knows if I'll feel up to rereading them so I can get into the new one coming up.

Well, I'm not reading any of his new shit, until he finishes the old shit.

Horab Fibslager

fantasy writers,

kow ho wto milk readers x10 than any grisham
Hell is other people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Horab Fibslagerfantasy writers,

Motorcycle.

ataraxia

Quote from: Horab Fibslagerfantasy writers,

Motorcycle.

with sidecar.

That's the prime reason why I mostly read old stuff that's been done for years (and ignore all efforts to turn them into franchises). I quit on the Robert Jordan, Eddings, and then-TSR stuff 10 years ago.