News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

A ? about the Illuminatus trilogy

Started by Technocracy, September 21, 2005, 02:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technocracy

Calander, Calender  

I prefer the eskimo spelling thank you very much! :o

I was basically trying to see if I had missed another inside joke by taking the section too literally.  I enjoyed the book, like Flatland/Sphereland and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it was a good mental stretch in a non-normal direction.  I did do several google searches while reading it because I knew I was missing some humor and satire but wasn't sure how since alot of the references were before my time.

Because my life is worth more than yours

BADGE OF HONOR

I guess that's a risk factor for working for the Gummint.

Hmmm...I need some job so vital that I can torture people without fear of repurcussion.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
Quote from: TechnocracyI just finished reading the book and was thinking...
You lost me here, you finished the book, thinking?  My brain went numb for the whole time I was reading it and a few days after that :lol:

I rarely finish RAW books.

He always loses it in the last 2 chapters, and winds up imitating James Joyce.  Who sucks my ass.
Worst endings of any books I have ever read, and I have read this

Which ends thusly

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodI guess that's a risk factor for working for the Gummint.

Hmmm...I need some job so vital that I can torture people without fear of repurcussion.

Homeland Security?

Information Operator?

Dental Assistant?

Fox News Anchor?

Clown?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: TechnocracyCalander, Calender  
Calendar.  Repeat after me.  Calendar.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TechnocracyI just finished reading the book and was thinking...
You lost me here, you finished the book, thinking?  My brain went numb for the whole time I was reading it and a few days after that :lol:

I rarely finish RAW books.

He always loses it in the last 2 chapters, and winds up imitating James Joyce.  Who sucks my ass.
Worst endings of any books I have ever read, and I have read this

Which ends thusly

I am SO stealing that image.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

BADGE OF HONOR

Homeland Security?

Information Operator?

Dental Assistant?

Fox News Anchor?

Clown?

1.  My soul, remember?

2.  Good one.

3.  Another good one.

4.  I don't look enough like The Clone(tm).

5.  ...Nah, I like my dignity too much.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

I am SO stealing that image.
If only you could steal it from my brain  :lol:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God
Homeland Security?

Information Operator?

Dental Assistant?

Fox News Anchor?

Clown?

1.  My soul, remember?

2.  Good one.

3.  Another good one.

4.  I don't look enough like The Clone(tm).

5.  ...Nah, I like my dignity too much.

4.  2 words:  Blow dryer.

BADGE OF HONOR

I could just work in the post office.  Then people would fear the statistical possibility of my pulling a gun out and hosing the place down.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodI could just work in the post office.  Then people would fear the statistical possibility of my pulling a gun out and hosing the place down.

And you could make people go to the end of the line.

Oops...that's the DMV, again.

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: TechnocracyI just finished reading the book and was thinking about the section in the appendix where they mention you will understand about all you need to about mysticism if you understand the passage about Hagbard abdicating.  Here is the section of the text:

..."As for the rest of you - who can tell me, without uttering a word, the fallacy of the Illuminati?"

A young girl - she was no more than fifteen, George guessed, and the youngest member of the crew; he had heard she was a runaway from a fabulously rich Italian family in Rom - slowly raised her hand and clenched her fist.

Hagbard turned on her furiously. "How many times must I tell you people: no faking! You got that out of some cheap book on Zen that neither the author or you understood a damned word of. I hate to be dictatorial, but phony mysticism is the one thing Discordianism can't survive. You're on sh*twork, in the kitchen, for a week, you wise-ass brat."

The girl remained immobile, in the same position, fist raised, and only slowly did George read the slight smile that curled her mouth. Then he started to smile himself.

I'm curious what people think they mean by that.

My first thoughts were that she was showing that the fallacy of the illuminati is that all control and authority is an illusion unless the submissive remain submissive.

I also wondered if making a fist was somehow supposed to be the sound of one hand clapping mentioned elsewhere in the book.

My only other thought was that it was a play on words instead of fallacy they meant phallic since according to their thoughts all magical or mystical symbols refer to one of a "few" special kinds of human sacrifice, i.e. penetrative sex.  They mention several examples like Cupid shooting an arrow in a pulsing heart, the sacred heart, etc.

I'm just curious what other people who read the book thought.

the answer is obvious, true, and complete bullshit.

it's also the saem reason i say war when you say peace, tho not to be automatically contrary...

but that's too many clues right there. ok one more, when hagbard is explaining it to george, and he quotes dante's paradise.

im re-reading illuminatus! for the 6th and one half time. the ending of the plot suffers greatly,and i'm ripping it off slightly(tho not directly, it's been done many, many times) in my last two chapters. really i jsu tneed reading material for the crapper, and wot book 11 isn't out till next month.
Hell is other people.

Technocracy

Quote from: Horab Fibslager
but that's too many clues right there. ok one more, when hagbard is explaining it to george, and he quotes dante's paradise.

You wouldn't happen to remember the quote or what rough page it was on in RAW's book would ya?  Was the quote labeled in the book as being from Dante or was it just soemthing Hagberd said that you recognized from Dante?  I've only read Dante's work once and that was WAY back in high school so I'm pretty fuzzy on it.

Because my life is worth more than yours

Horab Fibslager

i actually forget, for the most part, basically yhe quote sas soemthignto the effect of , i am headed of you in understanding"(but there's mroe to it than that), where hagbard uses it to say she is ahead of him in understanding. hagbard says the italian to mis portinari, but explaisn what he means to george later.
Hell is other people.

Iron Sulfide

i somehow got through all three books in illuminatus,
except for the last twenty pages or so. i couldn't take it.
all i could think was "End the fucking book already"
but he kept going on, so i ended the book prematurely.

i really liked this book, overall, but i would recommend schrodinger's cat
far more, for just "in general reading" as well as "trippy reading"

i'm not sure what "trippy reading" is supposed to mean.

one of the things i like/hate about RAW is he loves the details,
but he loves them so much that sometimes he'll include the
details(s) without saying "this is a a detail you should pay attention to."
it's always subsequent.

that scene has a bunch of those type details. the crack of a smile is
acknowledging the funny nature of things. the fist symbol is strength
as well...and...and.....oh fuck it, it's way too lame.
Ya' stupid Yank.