News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

A ? about the Illuminatus trilogy

Started by Technocracy, September 21, 2005, 02:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

The thing about that scene is that he could have depicted any action, and kept the dialogue the same, and it would have meant the same thing.

It's one of those open-ended, self-interpretation things.

Cain

ie: RAW was being a lazy bugger/fraud.

LMNO

True, but that doesn't mean he didn't have one or two good ideas.

And isn't being a lazy bugger/fraud similar to obtaining SLACK?

Cain

Depends.  If he is being a fraud to me, then no.  Other people are fine however.

LMNO

But since you know he's a fraud, then he can't defraud you.

Cain

True.  Unless I think he's a fraud only sometimes, in which case it gets tricky.

LMNO

Cain

And sometimes, it just makes you want to haul them into a room and tell them to knock it off.  But only sometimes.  8)

hooplala

The only part of the end of Illuminatus that bothered me was the acid trip of Mary Lou . . . it was monotonous.  But we should keep in mind that RAW wasn't the only authour of Illuminatus.

But, the ending of Illuminatus makes more sense than the end of Schrodinger's Cat.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Baron von HooplaThe only part of the end of Illuminatus that bothered me was the acid trip of Mary Lou . . . it was monotonous.  But we should keep in mind that RAW wasn't the only authour of Illuminatus.

But, the ending of Illuminatus makes more sense than the end of Schrodinger's Cat.

No. That acid trip is his fault. He basically puts shit in like that in everyone of his books, except for his "The Earth Will Tremble" series which is set in the late 1700's and is fairly straightforward.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

hooplala

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSCNo. That acid trip is his fault. He basically puts shit in like that in everyone of his books, except for his "The Earth Will Tremble" series which is set in the late 1700's and is fairly straightforward.

Of that series I've only read The Widow's Son, which was pretty good.  The ending doesn't really tie it up, but it's not as all over the map as usual.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

nurbldoff

Quote from: Horab Fibslageri actually forget, for the most part, basically yhe quote sas soemthignto the effect of , i am headed of you in understanding"(but there's mroe to it than that), where hagbard uses it to say she is ahead of him in understanding. hagbard says the italian to mis portinari, but explaisn what he means to george later.

I guess you're referring to this part:

George fiddled with his own steak for a minute, then tried another approach. "What was that Italian phrase you used, just before you gave your ring to Miss Portinari?"

"I couldn't think of anything else to say," Hagbard explained, embarrassed. "So, as usual with me, I got arty and pretentious. Dante addresses his readers, in the First Canto of the Paradiso, 'O voi che siete in pic-cloletta barca' roughly, Oh, you who are sailing in a very small boat astern of me. He meant that the readers, not having had the Vision, couldn't really understand his words. I turned it around, 'O oi che siete in piccioletta barca,' admitting I was behind her in understanding. I should get the Ezra Pound Award for hiding emotion in tangled erudition. That's why I'm glad to give up the guru gig. I never was much better than second-rate at it."

"Well, I'm still way astern of you. . ." George began.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNOTrue, but that doesn't mean he didn't have one or two good ideas.

And isn't being a lazy bugger/fraud similar to obtaining SLACK?

1.  Troof.  He had a lot of good ideas.  He's just a sucky writer, and his good ideas get lost in the type of bullshit shown in the original post.

2.  Not when I waste 5 hours reading a book, only to have the end turn into gibberish.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Iron Sulfide

if you think about it, isn't the natural end of most things gibberish anyway?

thinking of senile people...
Ya' stupid Yank.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prater Festwoif you think about it, isn't the natural end of most things gibberish anyway?

thinking of senile people...

1.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2.  On the other hand, they meet new people everyday...
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.