News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Book of the SubGenius. Book of Lies. Worth reading?

Started by Technocracy, September 27, 2005, 12:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technocracy

I just finished Schrodinger's Cat and already did the Illuminati Trilogy a couple of weeks ago.  I was wondering what those two books from the reading list are like as in funny, metaphysical, mind bending, etc.

I read the reviews on Amazon but they are not really all that enlightening.  I'd like to get some input from people here as to what the books are about/like.

Because my life is worth more than yours

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TechnocracyI just finished Schrodinger's Cat and already did the Illuminati Trilogy a couple of weeks ago.  I was wondering what those two books from the reading list are like as in funny, metaphysical, mind bending, etc.

I read the reviews on Amazon but they are not really all that enlightening.  I'd like to get some input from people here as to what the books are about/like.

Book of Subgenius = 4/10.

Revelation X (the sequel) = 11/10, but you have to read the BotSG first, or you'll miss half of the jokes.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bella

I read the Book of the Subgenius long before I ever read the PD.
But I have no idea how to explain in any way shape or form what the hell it's about.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI read the Book of the Subgenius long before I ever read the PD.
But I have no idea how to explain in any way shape or form what the hell it's about.

Did you try to read it straight through?  

There's a secret way to read it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bella

Yes, I did.
But then I lost it and found it again and started up where I'd left off.
Does that count as reading it straight through?
just like in a dream

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomYes, I did.
But then I lost it and found it again and started up where I'd left off.
Does that count as reading it straight through?

Yep.

Trick is, read it through, but everytime it starts jabbering about space demons, etc, skip ahead til it makes sense again.

Then, when you're done, go back and ONLY read the weird shit.

fluffy

i have it
it's currently keeping the other books on the shelf from touching each other
am i supposed to read it, too?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fluffy
i have it

No.  It causes cerebral hemmoraging in small furry animals.

Bella

I lost it again, anyway. Actually, I'm thinking that it probably got left behind when I moved a couple of years ago.
just like in a dream

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI lost it again, anyway. Actually, I'm thinking that it probably got left behind when I moved a couple of years ago.

That's just "Bob" reclaiming his own.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

i have it
I am so confused, you only have 3 books :shock: or is the BotSG in more than one piece :?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy
i have it
I am so confused, you only have 3 books :shock: or is the BotSG in more than one piece :?

He bought GWB's library.

doubtless incident

i have it
it's a 3-book shelf. only this <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------> wide.
TIMMYYYYY!!!!!!

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: doubtless incident
i have it
it's a 3-book shelf. only this <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------> wide.

Better than a book as wide as a shelf like that :shock:

LMNO

Mang & I can cover the Book of Lies pretty well for you.  I'll start.

1.  Lot's of Kabbalistic in-jokes.  You'll need at least a basic understanding of Kabbala to get them.

2.  Thinly disguised how-to manual on Tantric sex magic (alter spelling of "magic" as you will).

3.  Crap poetry.  The guy was a lot of things, but even Fred Durst wrote better rhymes.

4.  Triple-entendra in-jokes dissing the OTO, Golden Dawn, and the other institutionalized dogmatic occult orders.

5.  Only a good read if you like esoteric puzzles.

Mang will probably have a few things to add...