News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Time to dismantle the Pedestals.

Started by AFK, October 05, 2005, 02:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor

I know the feeling Rev, my mom lost a dear friend when the doctors botched  the operation...it was a case of too many people in on the case, not listening to each other, not listening to the patient, and as a result she died in terrible pain. All she wanted was to live long enough to see her chronically ill daughter graduate law school, and thanks to the error, she died just weeks before. :(
Priest, Church of Eris

-
Support A Cure For Ribbons!

Funny little human brains, how do you get around in them?

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: The Doctor*oof*

I already died 9 times, can't a guy get a break?

Or at least another barrel of tequila?  :wink:

Heh. You'd do anything for a barrel, wouldn'tcha?
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

The Doctor

What can I say? You know good Tequila...  8)
Priest, Church of Eris

-

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: The DoctorWhat can I say? You know good Tequila...  8)

You could simply just take one of the barrels from the Open Bar. I mean, it's not like you have to be stabbed.

The Doctor

Well, your stabbing is an entirely voluntary decision.... ;)

::heads off to the Open Bar::
Priest, Church of Eris

-

Technocracy

I especially like the fact that you are not allowed to see your own medical records here in the US.  :evil:

Because my life is worth more than yours

East Coast Hustle

shit, that's nothing.

you ever tried to sneak a peek at your own FBI file?

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

We need a link to the FoIA application form.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: TechnocracyI especially like the fact that you are not allowed to see your own medical records here in the US.  :evil:

Who told you that?

You are allowed to see them and any facility that does not allow you to do so, provided you can prove you are in fact yourself, can be fined...as well as any civil suits you may bring. Federal law states that health info is owned by the individual. The actual records (hardcopy and/or digital files, etc.) are owned by the facility that generated them. You are entitled to one copy of them a year. Any more than that gets a reasonable charge (usually like 75cents to a couple dollars) for each additional request within a year.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: TechnocracyI especially like the fact that you are not allowed to see your own medical records here in the US.  :evil:
You can ask to see your medical records any time you want.  If you have a serious condition, you might want to ask for copies.  

Doctors are idiots, I keep telling you guys.  They are looked up to because they are 'dedicated', they went to school for a long time and crap like that.  How do you know if your doctor graduated at the top of his/her class or the bottom.  Even some of the ones who are smart sometimes are so lacking in 'bedside manner' that they are practically useless.  I make it my job to look up everything and annoy the hell out of all doctors I come in contact with.  

Also, the older generation was taught to respect people like doctors and cops and stuff.  It is a lot harder for them to be forceful.  I can tell a doctor, no, I am so sorry, but we will not be doing that, or that is not what I meant, or I am not going to live in this amount of pain, or I looked that up on the internet.  My grandmother would not have been able to do any of those things.  Like it or not, doctors tend to listen to men better than women.  If a women gets ill in her 40's or 50's, it's just hormones, or getting older, or depression.  

I hope you stick it to that doctor so that he never gets a chance to 'practice' medicine on any one else ever again.  Good luck to you and your family.

Technocracy

The only reason I thought you couldn't see them was when I moved from one state to another I asked for my doctor's record to ensure I wouldn't have any trouble when getting a new doctor.  The doctor's office in Missouri, where I was leaving, told me they had to send them directly to the new doctor.  This was in 1992.  I didn't think about asking for copies at the time.  I never had any trouble getting set up with the new doctor but ever since then I just ASSumed you couldn't see your own records.

Well I've learned something new today and can officially slack off now. :P

Because my life is worth more than yours

The Doctor

They do automatically send your records to the new doctor, but you retain the right to see them regardless.
Priest, Church of Eris

-

nurbldoff

Sorry about your grandmother's illness, What's-his-name.

A guy at my job had a similar experience  (well, he's still in it really) when he came back for a routine one-year-later check on a "lump" in his back. When he first had it checked out the doctor assured him it was benign and nothing to worry about, but still, they'd do a routine check in one year. At that point, the "benign" tumour had suddenly spread through his entire body...

Seems like he's pulling through though, the worst part is done. But the news of the cancer must have been devastating, he's only 30, just found this new job, his wife pregnant with their first child... and *BAM*.

I guess it's the old authority-figure effect; people need someone they can trust. Especially if they're going to put their lives in his/her hands. I read somewhere about a commercial where an actor, who was well known for playing a doctor in some tv show, was recommending this-or-that medical. And it worked! So the doctor figure has even transcended the profession itself...
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

AFK

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of AlchemyI hope you stick it to that doctor so that he never gets a chance to 'practice' medicine on any one else ever again.  Good luck to you and your family.

Thanks.  If anything good can come out of this situation that will probably be it.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name?
Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of AlchemyI hope you stick it to that doctor so that he never gets a chance to 'practice' medicine on any one else ever again.  Good luck to you and your family.

Thanks.  If anything good can come out of this situation that will probably be it.

I have seen my mom go through something similar, thank gawd it was nothing deadly, it was her thyroid.  She kept getting the, you're getting older BS.  I sat in an ER for hours because doctors didn't believe I was in the amount of pain I was in.  So, no pain killer, no nothing.  I found out later the only person who believed me was an intern, he ended up being a good doctor.  Oh, and the reason they didn't believe I was in pain was because nothing showed up on the ultrasound.  Apparently internal bleeding doesn't show up so good.  I also had to wait because the OR's were filled up with people who had stabbed each other, but that's something completely different  :roll: