News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Scrid Vector

Started by Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.), October 28, 2005, 12:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Quote from: synaptyxNope, still not right. I made a few alterations. Removed shiny bits in eyes and scrid badge, but no dice. I just don't have a fucking clue about vectors.

Sorry Mang. This is a high priority for me as Scrid is one of the best things I've been inspired to design. I just don't do vectors outside of dumping bmps through potrace.

I don't know what this means...but it sounds serious  :(

Don't suppose they told you why it wasn't working or how to fix it, did they?

There must be a way!!
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

the other anonymous

Quote from: synaptyxNope, still not right. I made a few alterations. Removed shiny bits in eyes and scrid badge, but no dice. I just don't have a fucking clue about vectors.

Sorry Mang. This is a high priority for me as Scrid is one of the best things I've been inspired to design. I just don't do vectors outside of dumping bmps through potrace.

Here's what I know about potrace:

It's insane and will gladly use 5000 curveto segments to approximate a straight line while rounding sharp corners and sharpening round corners.

What I suggest is: submit a bitmap if at all possible. If not:

Decrease the dimensions of the original image, zoom in, and using a pencil tool, change a few pixels, run potrace, change a few pixels, run potrace, etc, focusing on two things:

1. Decrease the EPS file size. Fewer segments mean better chance of acceptance.

2. Smoothly round all curves. Make all stright lines straight. Potrace is anal about this. One pixel can mean the difference between 2 segments and 12.

Also keep in mind that a path has many inter-dependant parts. If you have problems in one area, it may be best to look nearby on the same line for something else to fiddle with. A pixel 20 pixels away may have a huge impact.

Don't worry too much about details. T-shirts don't show them well anyway. (Particularly with the methods they're using.) Take oblong shapes and turn them into circles or rectangles. Remove a few of the hands (five hands would be numerologically significant ;) ). Turn the hands into a cubist approximation of a hand (a rectangle with a rectangular thing sticking out of it).

You get the point.

Potrace is black-and-white only, and does a simple threshold quantization (grey 127 and below is black, 128 and above is white), so it's easier to see what potrace is seeing if you decrease color depth to 1 bit.

And it all takes time. (I spent days fudging around with Nurb's Eris and I have all day to do that, so it may take you a week or so to get something that looks good.)

Of course, I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. :)

Can I have the source bitmap you started with so I can screw around with it?

Mangrove

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

I don't want to compromise on the design, Scrid is Scrid! I'll get he bmp up for you later.

I am willing to put money into somebody's paypal account if the image gets accepted, I'm totally lost here. I refuse to give spreadshop money, because they could spin out the work for hours. They won't accept anything less than a vector.

Ta!
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Mangrove

Quote from: synaptyxI don't want to compromise on the design, Scrid is Scrid! I'll get he bmp up for you later.

I am willing to put money into somebody's paypal account if the image gets accepted, I'm totally lost here. I refuse to give spreadshop money, because they could spin out the work for hours. They won't accept anything less than a vector.

Ta!

Artistic integrity! That's what we like to see around here.

Syn' - is there another t-shirt provider that you could use? Just thinking of alternatives in case the vector can't be tweaked according to their demands.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

I'm not gonna use cafe frickin' press, their clothing is really poor quality. There don't seem to be any that don't charge to set up. It can be really expensive. I will continue to look around.

Meanwhile here's the scrid bmp I'd like to work from.

http://poee.co.uk/images/scrid.bmp

It's 3Mb! :shock:

Mangrove

Quote from: synaptyxI'm not gonna use cafe frickin' press, their clothing is really poor quality. There don't seem to be any that don't charge to set up. It can be really expensive. I will continue to look around.

Meanwhile here's the scrid bmp I'd like to work from.

http://poee.co.uk/images/scrid.bmp

It's 3Mb! :shock:

damn, that's one sexy scrid.

BADGE OF HONOR

Holy crap, I want that on a Tshirt.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mangrove

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodHoly crap, I want that on a Tshirt.

this is the problem - the t-shirt people don't want teh scrid  :(

BADGE OF HONOR

This MUST be overcome!
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

I now have Scrid on white clothing, it was no problem to upload a png. Need the vector for coloured items.

check out http://www.spreadshirt.net/shop.php?sid=87324

LMNO

Scrid...

Boxers....

Scrid... Boxers.

SCRID!  BOXERS!

SCRID BOXERS!

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

I want Scrid next to my sex parts.

Hoshiko

Making people sorry they asked since 1983.

She got the speakers in the trunk
With the bass on crunk.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: synaptyxI want Scrid next to my sex pats.

Fixed that for ya.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"