News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Metal

Started by Z³, November 16, 2005, 03:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Because this deserves its own threads. I will post a long list of bands that I like, and maybe some short comments on them, and other people will post things, and we will all be happy and respect each other and eat flowers BECAUSE I AM A GIANT BUG AND LIKE TO EAT FLOWERS!!!

Monstrosity (floridian, george "corpsegrinder" fischers first band)
Hate Eternal (floridian, the notable Erik Ruttan on vocals/guitar)
Morbid Angel (floridian, Trey Azagthoth might be my favorite solo-ist ever, as he signed my birth certificate)
Sinister (from Texas I think, not very good, but their version of To Megatherion is my favorite)
Carcass  (U.K. , may have invented grindcore, lead singer didnt actually want to write meaningful lyrics so he purchased a medical thesaraus. This lead to album names like Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious. Their old stuff is more grindy/thrashy, the new stuff more rocky. Key members later on join swedish Arch Enemy)
Slayer (because Reign in Blood is a good album)
Metallica (Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning ONLY)
At the Gates (swedish, later ripped off by the entire american hardcore scene)
Gates of Ishtar (melodic thrash, swedish)
Gorguts (begins as straight death metal band, later becomes extremely jazz influenced and weird. 'Obscura' may just be my favorite metal album ever. This band once had two guys named 'Steve' and one guy named 'STEEVE'.)
Eyehategod (classic sludge metal, probably abused heroin)
Iron Monkey (UK, classic sludge metal, probably abused heroin. Album covers feature the art of MIKE DIANA (www.testicle.com) )
EARTH (weird noisey drone group, tribute to black sabbath with Ioma had a fucked up hand and tuned to a LOW E. Later inspired SUNN 0))) )
Sunn 0 ))) (nuff said)
Khanate (another stephen o'malley joint, actually has riffs and lyrics, but songs are about fifteen to twenty minutes long. good music to listen to while you snort ground up crows beak in a hot windowless room. )
Anal Cunt (mediocre grindcore, funny song titles)
Anal Blast (OK grindcore, funny song titles)
Cephalic Carnage (really weird jazz influenced grindcore, band smokes way too much pot)
Scholomance (hard to classify, death metal based, probably never played live due to fact that the band has WAY too many instruments)
Hypocrisy (classic swedish metal band, hard to classify, starts out as bad black metal but becomes what I would describe as atmospheric death metal on the fringe of doom metal. Obsessed with alien abduction. Really good band up until they break up and reform. I suggest The Final Chapter as a good starting place)'
Zaraza (weird canadian/polish industrial metal band, puts most of their songs on the net for free.  http://zaraza.ca/ )
Sigh (japanese thrash metal... nuff said)
Unholy Grave (OK japanese grindcore)
Spazz (LEGENDARY punk/grindcore/power-violence unit from East Bay.)
His Hero is Gone (somewhere in between the screamo/powerviolence scene, and the metal/grindcore scene. Not bad)
The Locust (yeah. )
Orchid (Chaos Is Me = classic. Everything else = teh Suck)
Thus Spake Zarathustra (more screamo/powerviolence)
Zahn (german screamo/powerviolence, happens to be my last name as well. Strange coincidence.)
Agalloch (very interesting mix of metal and classical guitar, kind of like really slow opeth)
Opeth (what might be the single most talented band in all of metal, musically speaking, kind of like what dream-theater would sound like if they actually wrote decent music.)
Skepticism (Funeral Doom, Finnish, HEAVY pipe organs)
Thergothon (Funeral Doom, Finnish, very very low vocals. For lack of a better description, it sounds like H.P. Lovecraft.)
Unholy (Doom, Finnish, this band sounds like they were heavily influenced by pink floyd... which actually comes out sounding kind of cool.)
Shape of Despair (funeral doom, unsure of nationality, very melodic and entrancing.)

Thats all for now, my fingers hurt, I have a novel to write, and I'm off to watch YOJIMBO.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Z¬?and we will all be happy and respect each other

And giant moon beetles will descend on Washington, and eat all the politicians.

:lol:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

neongenesis816

Dear god man.  That must've taken you a few years to write.  I dig alot of the bands on there.  Here's my fave list:

Agoraphobic Nosebleed - rediculous grindcore, songs never longer than 10 seconds  the only band I know that can make a 99 track cd under 20 minutes long!
Mastadon - unforgivingly heavy sound
Meshuggah - interesting rhythmns, and extremely MONOLITHIC sound
Crowpath - devastating riffs
Ion Dissonance - like a better disciplined heavier DEP
Dillinger Escape Plan - overly complex shit, jazz elements

Malaclypse the Tertiary

I like Tom Waits.

The piano has been drinking...
not me.
not me.
not me.
Malaclypse the Tertiary, KSGI
Omnibenevolent Polyfather Nuevo of
The Grand Unified FruErisian Assembly (GUF:.EA)
and High, Wholy Abjermed of Head Temple,
Thornley Hill Cabal

http://frunet.org

The Good Reverend Roger

I prefer to rock out to the madman himself, Sir Elton John.

The famous headbangers, The Rolling Stones, aren't bad, either.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: Malaclypse the TertiaryI like Tom Waits.

The piano has been drinking...
not me.
not me.
not me.

I like Blue Valentines better... or Postcard From a Hooker in Minneapolis

Charlie, I almost went crazy... when Mario got busted.
Went back to Omaha... to liiive with my folks.
But everyone I used to know, is either dead, or in prison...
so I came back to Minneapolis. This time I think I'm gonna stay.

Quote from: neongenesis816Dillinger Escape Plan - overly complex shit, jazz elements
Calculating Infinity is still an awesome album in my book, but I think when you really get into it they're not all that complex. They do a lot of fast high-string melodies on the guitar, but it gets a little too repetitive sometimes. The drummer is really good. The interesting thing about this band is that they have two guitar players that tune a half step apart, so you get this weird dissonant effect.  Its kinda neat.

Quote from: neongenesis816Agoraphobic Nosebleed - rediculous grindcore, songs never longer than 10 seconds the only band I know that can make a 99 track cd under 20
I cant believe I forgot to mention this band. They make grindcore that borders on noise music, and they're fucking crazy. If you like this band, you definately have to check out Gore Beyond Necropsy.

Some other stuff I forgot.

Pig Destroyer (decent grindcore)
Nasum (excellent swedish grindcore band, three members, recently broke up due to the fact that one of their members died in the tsunamis a couple years ago. )
Bethlehem (weird german doom band, featured on the Gummo soundtrack)
Cryptopsy (Canadian death metal, Flo Mounier is probably the single best living drummer I have ever heard, which makes since... as he's trained primarily in jazz.)
Isis (more slow atmospheric type of shit.)
Ulver (probably my favorite black metal band, kind of. They started out in the early norwegian black metal scene, until they decided that black metal was stupid and started playing classical music, and then eventually moved on to make really strange electronica. All of it is pretty good.)
My Dying Bride (UK, Doom metal, not bad... although the vocals sometimes turn a lot of people off. They get kind of Peter Steeley at times)
Vintersorg (pretentious norwegian black metal, very viking sounding, the man has an awesome voice and loves to sing ballads in norwegian. Its actually kind of cool. Later on, he started writing songs about math.)
Burzum (more atmospheric shit. One man band, actually really good. The man, Simen Vikernes (AKA Count Grishnack) is in jail for ther murder of Euronymous, he's also known for being a neo-nazi fuckhead.)
Emperor (one of the most talented bands in black metal, also one of the only talented bands in black metal.)
Apocalyptica (not technically metal. Apocalyptica is a cello quartet that mostly just covers old metallica songs.)
Nile (new-school floridian death metal, the lead singer/guitar player is actually a professor of egyptology.)
Undying (excellent female fronted metalcore band.)
Shai Hulud (second generation hardcore. Not bad)
Black Dice (oldschool hardcore punk, bordering on noise music. Lots of feedback. Lots of fun.)
Finntroll (black metal polka? )
Lead (the only decent band to ever emerge from the Omaha scene, never heard of them? Not suprised, while they were talented enough to go national they never got past playing a few festivals and getting a write-up in the Grimoire of Exalted Deeds (www.grimoire.com) the bass player later changes his name to 'Dapose' and joins the Faint. )
Macabre (a bunch of hicks who write the silliest grindcore I've ever heard, all about serial killers. these guys do NOT take themselves seriously, and its kind of neat.)
Peccatum (not actually a metal band, well not really. This is Ihsan of Emperor, and his wife Ihriel of Star of Ash. Its half singy-female goth, and half fast-paced guitar screaming. Some of the later albums are really good, some of the earlier ones are not.)

East Coast Hustle

I fucking LOVE Spazz.

also ,Dillinger Escape Plan and the Black Dice.

you should check out Botch and Isis.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

My list gets shorter and shorter as the years go on because my bands either disintegrate or start to royally suck hogwarts.

I like two of the big three of UK doom.  My Dying Bride and Anathema of course somewhere along the way Anathema stopped being into Pink Floyd and started getting into Radiohead which is really unfortunate.  

Solitude Aeturnus--The godfathers of modern American Doom.  
Sentenced -- gotta love the suicide rock.  Called it quits this year.  Funeral Album is their last album.  
Fates Warning -- A little long in the tooth but Perfect Symmetry was classic and Parallels was good too.  They found a way to lighten their sound and not suck.  Do you hear that Lars????
The Gathering -- One of the original metal bands with a chick lead singer.  They were doing it while Amy Lee was still in braces.  And they did it better.  
Antimatter -- not really metal but it's the bassist from Anathema's band after he left Anathema.  Of course, he's now left Antimatter so who knows how that will turn out.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

-327 points for referencing Harry Potter in a Metal thread.

AFK

I assure you hogs had warts before JK Rowling ever put a quill to parchment.   8)

LMNO

AFK

Okay, it's my wife's fault.  She's been talking about the new Harry Potter movie so I guess it was rattling around in my brain and found it's way onto Hotel California.  Oh, so has since this is now Hotel California does that mean PD.COM has frozen over finally?

LMNO

I dunno.

You better ask the Mgt.

Cain

Fact: Every Harry Potter book has had progressively less content or plot and more in the way of pointless fluff as the series goes along.  Except book 5, which has Harry being tortured and is therefore the best of the lot.

neongenesis816

QuotePig Destroyer (decent grindcore)
Agoraphobic Nosebleed is Pig Destroyers guitarists band correct?  They are similar, but I love how A.N. uses alot of Whitehouse-esque noise elements (screaming absurdities over scraping drone sounds).

And yeah, Burzum is a neo-nutzi poo face.

Also I like grindcore alot, as far as metal goes it tends to border on noise the most:
Napalm Death
Discordance Axis
Melt Banana

But I mainly enjoy Monolithic heavy sounds.  I pretty much WORSHIP Meshuggah's music.  It is groovey as fuck, and they pull out these riffs that burn buildings down from being so heavy.