News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Metal

Started by Z³, November 16, 2005, 03:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: VerthaineI am currently trying to download metal bands with female lead singers.I got some stuff from Arch Enemy,Lacuan Coil,and Kittie.

Any other suggestions?

The Gathering (similar to Lacuna Coil but a little trippier)
Lullacry (more hair-metalish, like a heavier Lita Ford)
Astarte (death metal like Arch Enemy)

If you like metal with classical influences you might like Nightwish too.  Very operatic though a little over the top for my tastes.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cole Frehlen

If you want pretty untechnical doom metal (I think... hey, I'm not totally up on my metal genres, so forgive me if I make mistakes), check out Octavia.  They're not bad, I saw my friend's band open for them.  I wanted to take the bass player home in my pocket.  The only guy in the band is the drummer.

AFK

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodThere's that one...really crappy one...with some chick.  Popular about a year ago?  I can't reme--oh, Evanescence.

Heheh.

pfft. corporate metal-lite.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name?
Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodThere's that one...really crappy one...with some chick.  Popular about a year ago?  I can't reme--oh, Evanescence.

Heheh.

I know, I wasn't serious.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerPure crap.

Twisted Sister = the best clown metal band EVAR.

fixed that for you.   :lol:

And?

TGRR,
Knoas the terms are not mutually exclusive.

Gotta say though, Dee Snider's radio show House of Hair is best radio show ever.  Dr. Demento is a close 2nd.

AFK

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God

Heheh.

I know, I wasn't serious.

I know.  I just like going pfft!

The Good Reverend Roger

Heheh.

CLUE FOR TEH CLUELESS:  *ALL* METAL BANDS ARE EITHER CORPORATE, OR DESPERATE TO BECOME SO.

THAT IS ALL.  YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR LABORS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Heheh.

CLUE FOR TEH CLUELESS:  *ALL* METAL BANDS ARE EITHER CORPORATE, OR DESPERATE TO BECOME SO.

Actually, there's a third group.  Bands who know they'll never become famous because they're singing about raping goats and burning babies and so during the day they are life insurance salesmen.

The Good Reverend Roger

Heheh.

Actually, there's a third group.  Bands who know they'll never become famous because they're singing about raping goats and burning babies and so during the day they are life insurance salesmen.

Translation:  The groups that wish they could be corporate, but can't afford a decent writer, and the groups that want to be "anti-corporate" corporate (ala Rage Against The Machine, etc).

All the same shit.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Heheh.

Translation:  The groups that wish they could be corporate, but can't afford a decent writer, and the groups that want to be "anti-corporate" corporate (ala Rage Against The Machine, etc).

All the same shit.

Tsk Tsk.
Some people just like to write music about raping babies, Roger, that doesnt mean they cant afford a good a writer. One of the most well spoken and intelligent people I have ever met was Don Deckard, the lead singer of Anal Blast, and he wrote music about meeting fat chicks on the internet to have sex with. (AOL 5.Obese)

Quote from: VerthaineI am currently trying to download metal bands with female lead singers.I got some stuff from Arch Enemy,Lacuan Coil,and Kittie.

Any other suggestions?

The Gathering (similar to Lacuna Coil but a little trippier)
Lullacry (more hair-metalish, like a heavier Lita Ford)
Astarte (death metal like Arch Enemy)

If you like metal with classical influences you might like Nightwish too.  Very operatic though a little over the top for my tastes.

My suggestion is Peccatum, which is hard to classify.
... and Shape of Despair, which does not always feature female vocals, but often does. I think you might like that one.

Cole Frehlen

My friend's band are recording an EP called 'raping christ', named after one of their songs.  They're mostly cool people, and the guitarist (the one I'm friends with) is a damn fine player.  He was in my band for a while, until I went to uni.

They turned down a contract lately, from this label that wanted them to change from really technical metal, to emo hardcore, and completely change themselves.  Hmmmm.

Oh, and somehow they have fans in Canada and Norway.  Despite the fact that they've never even played outside of the country.

Oh, incidentally, its easy to be pretentious about labels and sub-genres where any type of music is concerned, but those things exist for the sole purpose of being able to describe what something sounds like so that other people understand what we're talking about. Genre labels get really fuzzy, and there are a lot of places where they overlap. Furthermore, a lot of people disagree about what fits into what genre, and people who actually argue about those sort of things are taking it way to seriously.

Quote from: Cole FrehlenMy friend's band are recording an EP called 'raping christ', named after one of their songs.  They're mostly cool people, and the guitarist (the one I'm friends with) is a damn fine player.  He was in my band for a while, until I went to uni.

They turned down a contract lately, from this label that wanted them to change from really technical metal, to emo hardcore, and completely change themselves.  Hmmmm.

Oh, and somehow they have fans in Canada and Norway.  Despite the fact that they've never even played outside of the country.

Some of my highschool buddies were in a grindcore band called the Vampire Sorority Babes. They stole lawn gnomes and other various lawn ornaments to demolish on stage, dressed their girl-friends up like goth sluts and made them wade in a kiddie pool filled with various forms of filth, and had a guy wearing rabbit ears reading out of H.G Wells' Time Machine on stage.

I remember posting lyrics here before.

http://www.angelfire.com/band/vsb/lyrics.html

Anyway, VSB wrote and performed over 200 songs, many of which sounded exactly the same. The lyrics on that site are only from the first EP which was released in a limited run of sixteen.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cole FrehlenMy friend's band are recording an EP called 'raping christ', named after one of their songs.  They're mostly cool people, .

Then why can't they get past cheap shock bullshit?

These bands sound like early motley crue.

:yawn: