News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

What good books have you read recently?

Started by Fizzwitz Glorypoop, November 24, 2005, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: She Who Lurks Beyond, Oracle of DoomNo wonder I was experiencing deja vu.
And here I thought it was just that I'm psychic.

Crap.

Maybe you're reverse psychic.

You can see backwards in time.

TGRR,
Is gifted that way, too.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

agent compassion

I just plain haven't read any good books lately. The textbooks ate my brain and they were soooo boring. But I did sell one back today for 70 bucks....fuck yeah. :D

*sigh* I want some cartoons. Yeeeeeah.

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

Cain

Night Watch, by Terry Prattchet.  One of his best books, IMO.  Got a very dark and pretty topical mood to it (secret police, plots, torture etc) and my favourite character of his, Sam Vimes.

Bella

I just got Yeat's Golden Dawn in the mail. Yet another present for Sara that I'm going to read before I give it to her. This is a used copy, so there's no way she'll notice I've been reading it. So far, it's pretty interesting.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

i just read milton's paradise lost, and im not sure if i like it or if i want to scratch my eyes out

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: mian tiao Fredi just read milton's paradise lost, and im not sure if i like it or if i want to scratch my eyes out

"It is better to rule in hell, than to serve in heaven."

Perhaps the best thing ever said, in any language.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mangrove

Quote from: She Who Lurks Beyond, Oracle of DoomI just got Yeat's Golden Dawn in the mail. Yet another present for Sara that I'm going to read before I give it to her. This is a used copy, so there's no way she'll notice I've been reading it. So far, it's pretty interesting.

oou....let me know how that pans out! Sounds like one for the SSOOKN library  :D
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Argonautica by Apollonius of Rhodes.  Not really a book, more an epic poem, but still very good.  Incredible subversion of imagery in his writing.

BADGE OF HONOR

Seeing Through Clothes by Anne Hollander.  If you think you like art history (you don't really, nobody does), you'll like this one.  Plus there is much discussion of the nakedness.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Cain

BADGE OF HONOR

There's even an extensive exploration of pubic hair.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Bella

Quote from: Pope T.Mangrove xvii
Quote from: She Who Lurks Beyond, Oracle of DoomI just got Yeat's Golden Dawn in the mail. Yet another present for Sara that I'm going to read before I give it to her. This is a used copy, so there's no way she'll notice I've been reading it. So far, it's pretty interesting.

oou....let me know how that pans out! Sounds like one for the SSOOKN library  :D
I'm liking it a lot, Mang. But I haven't had enough uninterrupted time to really get into it the way it deserves.
just like in a dream

Mangrove

Quote from: She Who Lurks Beyond, Oracle of Doom
Quote from: Pope T.Mangrove xvii

I'm liking it a lot, Mang. But I haven't had enough uninterrupted time to really get into it the way it deserves.

thanks B3lla - i'll sniff out a copy one day.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Bella

I found a used copy through Amazon.
I think it's out of print, so you'll have to go the used route.
just like in a dream

hooplala

I started reading Another Roadside Attraction last night, but am finding it very hard to get into.

I never did finish Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, and I must have started it at least five times by now . . . I enjoy his writing, but it doesn't seem to grip me to want to read more.

I don't know . . . I'm going to keep trying for a while, but I hate to force myself to read . . .
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman