News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

This Won't Hurt a Bit

Started by Marl Fublewonker, November 30, 2005, 10:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Oh yeah, the Vagus nerve.  Thats plausible.

DJRubberducky

I have donated several times without incident, though admittedly I've taken more jabs from Carter Bloodcare than Red Cross.  I've also had a couple of incidents where I felt woozy, and one time where I wanted them to take from my left arm, but they fucked up the stick and so I had a bruise in my left elbow and ended up having to donate from the right arm anyway.  But for the most part, as long as I can pass the iron test, I'm in and out relatively quickly, and the worst part is the god-damn-fuckin' tourniquet.  Fuckin' HATE that thing.

And I expect the blood-donation needles need to be huge or else your body will clot the venipuncture site before they get the full pint.  Three times now I've sold small quantities (50-100mL) of my blood for one of the departments on campus to use in research, and the first time was completely painless - I expect that's because they could get away with a smaller needle since they didn't need very much.

(I also suspect the smaller needle is why my arm didn't bruise this last time I went in to sell.  The girl missed the stick, and I started getting seriously squicked by what she was doing in an attempt to get the needle into a vein now that it was already in my arm.  Guh, I'm getting the bad wibbles even describing it that generically.)
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

The sticking my arm doesn't bother me.  Yeah they need a big needle to get the blood out fast enough.  At the doctors they had to stick me twice one time because my blood began to clot.  The only problem I have now is I have had so much blood drawn that I have scar tissue building up over my veins so I usually bruise now, especially if I am dehydrated, like those stupid fasting first thing in the morning things, I hate those.

hooplala

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodHow did getting a needle in the arm cause you to have a seizure?  Isn't that kind of your fault, not theirs?

I don't know that you can consider a seizure anyone's fault.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

You decided to have a seizure, live with the consequences damnit!

hooplala

I think I'll have a seizure right now.

Actually, I have a few things I need to do first, so I will reschedule my seizure for about 1:30 this afternoon.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Well, everyone was really surprised when my nephew had to get his cast off and passed out.  He is about Turd's size only a little taller and slightly wider at the shoulder's, so it's not like anyone exactly wanted to try to catch him or anything.  That was the first clue they had that he has some abnormal vagal response.  The way I hear it, he turns kinda green, his eyes roll back, then out he goes.

hooplala

What's that called again?

Vasovagal Syncope or something?  Doesn't Bush have that?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Baron von Hoopla
Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodHow did getting a needle in the arm cause you to have a seizure?  Isn't that kind of your fault, not theirs?

I don't know that you can consider a seizure anyone's fault.
By fault I meant that it was his body's response to getting stuck, not them sticking him, that caused the seizure.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to give blood.  Terror doesn't even begin to describe my feelings about needles.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

hooplala

I had a numbnuts nurse take blood from me when I was ten, she poked in and didn't hit a vein, poked again and didn't hit a vein really jammed it in and blood spurted all over the room.  No lie.

I used to watch when they took blood, now I get very woozy at the site of it, so I won't be giving blood any time soon either.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of AlchemyWell, everyone was really surprised when my nephew had to get his cast off and passed out.  He is about Turd's size only a little taller and slightly wider at the shoulder's, so it's not like anyone exactly wanted to try to catch him or anything.

I admit, I'm mildly curious as to how you'd know how wide I am across the shoulders.

was that YOU who installed the camera in my smoke detector?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Enrico Salazar

Quote from: East Coast Hustle
Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of AlchemyWell, everyone was really surprised when my nephew had to get his cast off and passed out.  He is about Turd's size only a little taller and slightly wider at the shoulder's, so it's not like anyone exactly wanted to try to catch him or anything.

I admit, I'm mildly curious as to how you'd know how wide I am across the shoulders.

No.  Was Enr!co.

He wanted to know how Turd got the sausage so spicey in the Salazore Sausage Special, so he sneaked into ventilation system and set up camera.  Is nice view.

Oh.  And Enr!co prefers the mesh panties to the Y-fronts.  Sprouting Hair was Enr!co's nickname in grammer school.
Did someone say gorgeous?

East Coast Hustle

ha!

if Enrico was actually watching, he would know that I shave my balls, so it doesn't matter which style of panties I wear.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Enrico Salazar

Enr!co was not talking about your balls.  He was talking about your ass.
Did someone say gorgeous?

Quote from: East Coast Hustle

:oops:

Actually, last I knew he was wearing a 3X and I thought you ware a 2X, but I might be mistaken.  Anyway, he is down to about 320, I think.  The kid takes up a whole doorway.