News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

B.ella's Magical Mystery Thread

Started by Bella, January 13, 2006, 06:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

You got a reference for that?  I couldn't find that story anywhere.

davznothere

Quote from: LMNO on August 23, 2006, 08:25:14 PM
You got a reference for that?  I couldn't find that story anywhere.

no i don't and i stated that i had not researched the validity of the story ..... it's still interesting and applicable though even if some fucktard made it up

LMNO

Easy, buddy.

Just wondering where you heard it, is all.

Then again, if it's not true, is it really applicable?

davznothere

Quote from: LMNO on August 23, 2006, 08:44:27 PM
Easy, buddy.

Just wondering where you heard it, is all.

Then again, if it's not true, is it really applicable?

good point but thats a philosophy question thinks i

and i didn't mean to sound mean .....  :-D

LMNO

Not "T" True, but "t" true.

That is to say, if the point is about your "Illusionist" idea, and Crowley never did that, doesn't it sort of mean that your Illusionist Idea is invalid?

davznothere

Quote from: LMNO on August 24, 2006, 02:26:27 PM
Not "T" True, but "t" true.

That is to say, if the point is about your "Illusionist" idea, and Crowley never did that, doesn't it sort of mean that your Illusionist Idea is invalid?

actually .... wouldn't a falsehood like that CREATE an illusion in fact .....

LMNO

Um, no.

LMNO
-knows how sophistry works, and that wasn't it.

davznothere

Quote from: LMNO on August 24, 2006, 05:12:42 PM
Um, no.

LMNO
-knows how sophistry works, and that wasn't it.

it most certainly would ..... point in reference WMD's .... where the falsehood of facts created the illusion

LMNO

The difference is, you can point to actual articles about WMD, and you can structure many different theories about the process of selling it to the masses, but in your case, it was some guy who fed you a line of bullshit that you didn't bother to confirm.

The parable of the Sacred Bull is floating around these boards somewhere, you should read it.

davznothere

Quote from: LMNO on August 24, 2006, 05:51:14 PM
The difference is, you can point to actual articles about WMD, and you can structure many different theories about the process of selling it to the masses, but in your case, it was some guy who fed you a line of bullshit that you didn't bother to confirm.

The parable of the Sacred Bull is floating around these boards somewhere, you should read it.

wait a minute ..... didn't we get fed a line of bullshit about WMD's in Iraq ..... yes we did .... in fact, if it was a coke line it would've gotten the entire Dallas Cowboys high AND still been big enough to support an Amtrack train ..... besides the fact that NOTHING is true unless someone actually believes it ..... but more to the point ..... a well told lie is the creation of an illusion ..... that should be plain as day .....

Illusion, the act of deceiving or imposing upon; deception; mockery; a deceptive apperence; an unreal vision presented to the bodily or mental eye; hullucination
Illusionist, one given to illusion .....

and i'm fairly sure, that while crowley was well documented ..... perhaps a few things fell throuigh the cracks ..... and perhaps it's just an urban legend ..... either way it's an interesteing story that illustrates the use of illusion as a way to control the masses

LMNO

Quote from: davznothere on August 24, 2006, 07:33:16 PM
either way it's an interesteing story that illustrates the use of illusion as a way to control the masses

WMD is a better story, because not only did the crowley thing not happen, the fact that it's not even documented puts it in the realm of bullshit, not illusion.

If Crowley had pulled it off = illusion.
If your friend made it up and passed it off as "urban legend" = bullshit.

davznothere

Quote from: LMNO on August 24, 2006, 07:42:42 PM
either way it's an interesteing story that illustrates the use of illusion as a way to control the masses

WMD is a better story, because not only did the crowley thing not happen, the fact that it's not even documented puts it in the realm of bullshit, not illusion.

thats the worst arguement ever just because something is undocumented doesn't make it bullshit ..... lots of things that might be true are undocumented i'm sure ..... particularly when the discussion is in the rhelms of magic

LHX

Quote from: davznothere on August 24, 2006, 09:50:29 PM
thats the worst arguement ever just because something is undocumented doesn't make it bullshit ..... lots of things that might be true are undocumented i'm sure ..... particularly when the discussion is in the rhelms of magic

be careful with that M word

anyway:
whats the difference between the realms of bullshit and the realms of magic?
neat hell

AFK

meh, two sides of the same coin. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: davznothere on August 24, 2006, 09:50:29 PM
Quote from: LMNO on August 24, 2006, 07:42:42 PM

Indeed... but let's use Occam's Razor.  Is it more believeable that:

1.The self-aggandizing blowhard Crowley, who would promote himself at the drop of a hat, and loved spreading stories about himself wouldn't jump at the opportunity to smear this story all over his auto-biographies, essays, and commentaries, or

2. Your friend just made it up to sound cool and "esoteric".

Yeah.

LMNO
-extremely familiar with the Sacred Bull.