News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Foucault's Pendulum

Started by Cain, March 01, 2006, 12:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault%27s_Pendulum

Has anyone here read this?  It looks like good mindfucking material, in the vein of Illuminatus!, by the Italian philosopher Umberto Eco.  Or a cross between that and the Da Vinci Code, only with a much deeper knowledge of the symbology than that hack Brown.  I'm going to check on Amazon for it.

LHX

i started reading it last summer

it seemed decent if you got some time to commit to something

one of those really long jokes with a good payoff
neat hell

East Coast Hustle

I started reading it once when I didn't have the proper time and energy to commit to it. Probably read it again this spring after the local college gets out and it's dead as fuck for a month or two.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mangrove

i've not read it, but a good friend of mine is a big fan. he was pretty mad when 'da vinci code' came out. he said it was 'foucaults pendulum' for dummies.

i would like to check it out myself sometime as it looks like the sort of thing i'd get into. still, at this point in my life, i don't have the time to read novels.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Sonick Elevator Backdrop

Quote from: CainHas anyone here read this?
Yes. I highly recommend reading it and peruse Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow right after for good measure.

As for the comparison to Illuminatus!, I would say it's more like Masks of the Illuminati if I absolutely had to compare it to something in that vein.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit

Cain

I havent read MotI, so I'll have to take your word for it.  Still havent ordered it, problems with Amazon and moving make for bad reading of new books.

LMNO

In a way, it's one of the most interesting books he's written, 'cuz it's a whodunnit involving James Joyce, Einstien, and Crowley.

Although, it still has that stream of conciousness/extreme bullshit ending.

Sonick Elevator Backdrop

Quote from: LMNOIn a way, it's one of the most interesting books he's written, 'cuz it's a whodunnit involving James Joyce, Einstien, and Crowley.
Masks of the Illuminati that is, not Foucault's Pendulum, just for the sake of clarity.:wink: I agree. Out of all of Pope Bob's novels I personally like Masks the best.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit

Sweety

yeah good book, though some of the beginning borders on boredom (the 80s computer stuff); in general Eco tends to babble a bit (doesnt obviously edit much out), anyway, quite ok stuff- and: for the insiders who know about the occult: a few mistakes can be found therein, too (cool huh)...(about Crowley cant remember exactly what it was)...btw, "Umberto" himself is a bore: I attended one of his linguistic lectures in Milano and nearly fell asleep (and hes also completely full of himself)- anyway, I loved those south american scenes and that gentleman-magus type, some good quotes etc...
(I'm a tiny girl.)²

nurbldoff

I've read it, and while I don't think I'd recommend it to just anyone, I'd say it's eccellent discordian reading. I guess most people would be too impatient for it; the tempo is mostly pretty low and there are endless hints at stuff all the time (even more than in illuminatus), but I liked it a lot. I've been planning to read some more Eco sometime but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also agree that Masks is a neat one. And I actually liked the ending!
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?