News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Anthropology

Started by Zurtok Khan, January 21, 2006, 12:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Also: Eris only slaps those who don't......
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: fnordiscordiaHow is anthropology bullshit?

And what year are you?
1.  What Mr. Alphabets said.  

2.  Junior.  I'm 22, if you were wondering.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

What about the anthropology of bullshit?

BADGE OF HONOR

That would be bullshit squared, then.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodThat would be bullshit squared, then.

What about the philosophical tangential theories of anthropological bullshit as it equates to scatalogical references throughout cultural histories?

BADGE OF HONOR

Now that would be a giant cube o bullshit there.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodNow that would be a giant cube o bullshit there.

I can keep piling it on higher. I went to college and was trained in the art of massive bullshit piling (otherwise known as education).

Cain

Quote from: Irreverend Death to Poultry, KSCThat psychotic crone is actually an aspect of the Wiccan Goddess, unless it is Hekate, unless it is Athena in menopause, unless it is....well take your pick. I tend to think that while Eris may be into the all sweet and nice tickles for those upon whom that approach may work, She is also the deity who provoked Yahweh to be so evil in the Old Testament. It is good to keep this perspective. (The same sweet wind that cools you on a hot day, is the wind that can blow a massive storm which destroys your entire livelihood.)

BAM! In comes Greek geek knowledge.  Enyo/Eris was considered one of the  Graiai, or the the three Gray Sisters, who were apparently beautiful. They were described as "fair-faced and swan-like" but they's had gray hair from the day they were born and they shared one eye and one tooth, but they lost even that when Perseus stole their eye and later threw it in a lake.

Also ""[Depicted on the chest of Cypselus at Olympia] Aias is fighting a duel with Hektor [in the Trojan War], according to the challenge, and between the pair stands Eris in the form of a most repulsive woman. Another figure of Eris is in the sanctuary of Ephesian Artemis; Kalliphon of Samos included it in his picture of the battle at the ships of the Greeks." -Pausanias, Guide to Greece

However, I tend to think she was probably in good shape as she was hauling dead bodies around the battlefield of Troy and she was said (in Dionysiaca) to look like Rheia, the loverattle goddess.

Rather like the above, only probably with a nose and alot of armour, covered in blood.

LMNO

Cybele?

Didn't her male adherents castrate themselves to show their devotion?

Cain

Yup.  But her Greek incarnation was Rheia, Zeus' mommy.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

But even though there was Rheia, Cybele [Kubele] was still worshipped as a distinct person with a separate cult.

I know this because they have been revived among some of the radical lesbians around where I live.

As for Eris and the Graia, that is just one account. She appears to have fooled a lot of people.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

So you're saying Eris looked more like this  :shock:

BADGE OF HONOR

What did you expect, something warm and cuddly?

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodWhat did you expect, something warm and cuddly?
Not really, just something a little less butch.

Zurtok Khan

Quote from: Eldora, Oracle of AlchemySo you're saying Eris looked more like this  :shock:

I'd hit it.
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain