News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Happiness, Death, and The Bright of the Dark.

Started by AFK, February 21, 2006, 03:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_M_W

Quote from: Cain:lol:

A biologist, no less.

WHERE'S YOUR EVOLUTION NOW?

The only reason I don't leave this country now is in the hope that someday I will make them eat their own shit. I will personally shove it down their throat.

Almost got the chance today. Too bad I wasn't fast enough on the uptake.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Cain

Toots

::gives What's His Name a standing ovation::

What you're saying is effin right on for a couple of reasons. First off, like you mention in the rant the world/life may be shit but we're still here. There is no proof that there will be anything to experience after we croak, so why not make the most of it? Even acknowledging that trying to make things better at all is like a sisyphian task, it's still better than burying your head in the sand and concentrating on getting a good collection of tupperware together before you croak.

And you're so right, looking at things as black/white, one dimensional is ridiculous. It is akin to believing the world really is flat.

But come on Buddhis Monk, evolution? Didn't the Jews bury the dinosaur bones?  :lol:
I'm laughing, but it's a laugh of impatience.

If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone[/b]
Lenny Bruce

AFK

Quote from: TootsThere is no proof that there will be anything to experience after we croak, so why not make the most of it?

Exactly.  I mean, I think I sorta believe in a kind of life energy.  I know there is an essence to me that is me.  I perceive things.  How will I perceive death?  Who knows but what's the sense in worrying about it.  It's gonna happen.  If I believe the Christians I can act like a fuckwad all my life and as long as I repent on my deathbed I get a pass.  I believe once I become worm food my essence will evaporate into the heavens because energy cannot be created nor destroyed or at least so scientists believe currently.  

Life is not forever and we should enjoy this journey while we can.  And when the moment of death arrives accept it with peace and tranquility because it is our much deserved rest from the trials and travails of this mortal coil.  We should look to it as we look at our rest at night after a long day.  Society, American Society especially, puts such a fear of death into its people.  This is really a shame.  We should encourage people to live obviously.  We don't necessarily want them exiting in a Jack Kevorkian/Rippy the Razor sort of way.  But, when you get to a certain point of your life to be content.  You may go to sleep some night and not wake the next morning but we should be able to be at peace with that.  

Modern medecine has come up with some great advances but I wonder sometimes if they've gone to far.  It's great that we can cure diseases in someone in their 30's or 40's but when we are extending the human life into the frailty of the 90's and 100's are we really adding quality time to the human life?  Obviously, there are exceptions and people who are remarkable healthy and agile at those ages.  But do I want to be a 90 year old who has to summon all of his strength just to blink?  I'm not so sure.  I think I'd be perfectly content to hang it up at around 70.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

B_M_W

Quote from: CainOh?  Do tell....

my lab partner in chemistry mentioned something about "eviloutionists being as bad as Inteligent Design Creationists". Could have ripped his head off. Unfortunatly I was focused on organic compound calculations.

Next time.  8)
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.