News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Idealist scum

Started by Toots, February 24, 2006, 12:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Toots,

I am with you.  I will continue to do my part to fight what I believe to be wrong, no matter what.  I fuck with my place of work in small ways every single day, and try to fuck with the minds of the people in my city in some small way which might break the tedium just long enough for them to think.

I don't care if its hopeless; I will continue.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Toots

Quote from: Baron von HooplaToots,

I am with you.  I will continue to do my part to fight what I believe to be wrong, no matter what.  I fuck with my place of work in small ways every single day, and try to fuck with the minds of the people in my city in some small way which might break the tedium just long enough for them to think.

I don't care if its hopeless; I will continue.

You just made my day Baron. I knew I continued talking to you for some reason, despite you know--those pics you have with the sheep and the...uh...amorous activities.  :shock:
I'm laughing, but it's a laugh of impatience.

If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone[/b]
Lenny Bruce

hooplala

No no no - we were WRESTLING!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

HONEST, OFFICER...I WAS JUST HELPING THAT SHEEP OVER THE FENCE
\
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Scribbly

People talk about how hopeless it all is and so on... but really, I think it all depends on what your objectives are.

If you want to bring The Machine crashing down, then yeah, hopeless. Not going to happen, certainly not in my lifetime anyway, and probably not in that of my children, or their children, and so on.

But... what we can do is try and lay the foundations for change, the way I see it, things have gotten so bad because of the fact that people don't see people as people any more, so try and change that perception.

Sure, you can try and snap people out of their boredom and so on, but (generally) all it'll do is irritate them, and sometimes just solidify their belief that everyone else in an asshole, so why the hell should they treat them like equals?

Hell, we've gotten to the stage where -my- generation (I'm 17) has it so ingrained that nobody else is really human, that they literally KILL their grandmothers for the rainy-day fund in the cookie jar. And others are mugged for pocket change and left to die.

If things are going to change, what needs to happen is an entire ethical shift back to where words like Respect actually mean that, rather than mean some kind of vague fear/dominance thing.

So... what am I trying to get at?

Simple, try and make people think of you and the others around them as other people. Do nice things for them, just little things. Hold the door open,  offer up your seat on the bus to the elderly/pregnant/injured. Nothing earth-shattering, but you can be damn sure that they remember that as something that brightened their day. Lead by example.

Even if it doesn't work in the long run, at least you'll know you've done something nice for a few people. And who knows, if we haven't managed to cleanse the planet of all life a few generations down the line, maybe people will have advanced to the point where they actually do treat others as equals...

And that is one step closer to breaking free of the dominance/submission cycle completely, and thus bringing down The Machine.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.