If I may Rant.....

Started by Trollax, November 12, 2003, 02:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trollax

[RANT]
A visionary coward says that anger can be power
As long as there's a victim on TV
~Goo Goo Dolls: Flat Top~
We've seen and heard it all, watched the signs and read the heavens. They have come down off their thrones and disrobed in telling us that we are not responsible provided we can furnish them with a demon with which to pin our indiscretions on, and it cannot be a small demon, it cannot be a minor demon it must dwarf all other diabolical horrors to come before it. For it cannot be our fault, for if ordinary people can just go crazy with neither warning nor indication pick up a gun or grab a set of handcuffs then nobody is safe.

No fucking shit sherlock...

In my school days every fad was progressively banned because it would cause fights in the schoolyard:
Football
Yo-Yo's
Tamigotchi
Yo-Ho Diablo
Magic the gathering
Pokemon
playing cards...

If every single new sensation to sweep the geek world or the greater schoolyard is banned because of fighting then shouldn't we be asking: "What is wrong with our society and we as parents that causes our children to act this way." Instead of: "What foul demon has encouraged our precious children to go astray" Like some sack of mop-headed witch hunters, too self-satisfied to see past their own thuddite noses.

Well don't worry, I'm wrong... This rant isn't my fault, it's the internet leading me astray, it's all those zen books, it's listening to collective soul, it's Robert Anton-Wilson books, it's any single straw that I can think of to point back at the finger of blame when it comes to bear on me after I steal a car and then run seventeen people down and tell everyone the voices told me to on advice from my lawyer.
No brothers and sisters, Nobody is to blame but me. Somewhere along the line no matter how much we are carried along, we make a choice, and from that choice falls everything else, and if there is no choice and we are helpless to the whim of every advertisement, every movie, every schoolyard craze then god lied when he talked about free will. In fact the big bearded man's one mean motherfucker if we can be swept away by anything at every turn, if we can excercise no control over the supposed forces that assail us all the time. So don't worry, if it actually is true, you can rock up to 777 pearly gates and when st. peter says, "sorry bub you're going downstairs not up." you can say, "But no, I was lead astray by all these things that nobody, not even god bothered to isolate me from." and mark my words, the thuddite king will let you in for free.

Do you know, that I can be held legally responsible if somebody reads my words and then goes out and shoots a priest? Yep, they can say, "Well it's not my fault, I read this essay by this guy on a forum and it made me go out and do it. I'm really a good person just so long as I don't read or accept responsibility for myself."
And there lies the crux of our reasoning... Like a schizophrenic we can't be insane, we can't be wrong, because we're perfect, it's our eyes, our ears, the TV, the books, the spacemoose we ate for breakfast. Nope, sorry, when you arrive at 555 pergatory row you'll see me waiting for you and if you try and pass of the blame to anything else then by eris I'll bitchslap you to hell and back with a red hot poker then see to it that you spend eternity as a haemarroid.

Just try me...
[/RANT]

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Rant Some More. That was good. I get tired of people blaming everything from Eris to their puppy on why they are the way they are. Some social and economic factors are very influential, mind you, but your own personality and the way you interact with the world is your own doing. You should see the talk shows we have here in the USA. Everyone is blaming their misery on how they were raised. I for one know that that is crap. I had a difficult childhoom and homelife was torn to shreds, did I become a 400lb McDonalds connoiseur, or a serial killer, or the wierd perv on the subway jacking off? NO! I became a decent, flexible, and hopefully empathic person...because I chose not to hate, even though my upbringing gave me many excuses to use if I wanted to become hateful. So there. People should stop blaming the piss out of everything and drain their own fucking bladders for once.

Whew!

Good rant, Trollax. Rant some more, and I'll probably join you.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

~~~~Closed~~~~

QuoteIf I may Rant.....

No...you may not

Trollax

Well Sartre later came to rework his earlier sentiment that humans are totally free, (thanks to simone de beauvoir) he said that it is quite possible for us to enjoy slavery if our scope of vision is mutilated by social convention... in that sense he was two steps away from camus in saying that sisyphus is happy... but they had a massive argument over that...

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: St. TrollaxWell Sartre later came to rework his earlier sentiment that humans are totally free, (thanks to simone de beauvoir) he said that it is quite possible for us to enjoy slavery if our scope of vision is mutilated by social convention... in that sense he was two steps away from camus in saying that sisyphus is happy... but they had a massive argument over that...

I can see how Simone de Beauvoir would do that. Her 'Second Sex' book went into that idea and how it is used to subjugate women. In a spyche class, when students were asked what they would prefer 'Truth and Beauty' or 'Happiness, Comfort, without Freedom' everyone except me chose the latter. (I'll look after my own happiness, thank you.) It sparked an interesting debate between me and some twenty people who tried to shoot me down.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Bella

I knew an elemtary teacher who used to have her students go home, look around and then bring to school one thing of beauty that served no practical function. If the children couldn't find anything, she gave them a piece of her own artwork to take home.

PS: This rant is all your fault Trollax, and I salute you.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

SMFabal

Here is the logic behind my first leaving Christianity:

If Jesus washes away all sins, why should we live a good life?
If living a good life doesn't assure good results, why live a good life?
If accepting Jesus means loving everyone, why do you try to change them?
If forgivness is absolute, why do you keep shifting the blame?
Above all, if you know the devil is evil, why do you pay attebtion when he tells you to do something?
I am a sinner. And I like my sins right where they are, thank you.
Tell Jesus I can pay my own debts.
SMFabal, High Pope of CoCK, PSP, CW, KSC, FP, GH, MORBJ

Q: How serious are you about this whole "Discordian" thing?
A: A blue fish Tuesday!
Q: No really, it this, like, deeply philosphical, or just a huge joke?
A: Yes.

Anonymous

Quote from: SMFabalHere is the logic behind my first leaving Christianity:

If Jesus washes away all sins, why should we live a good life?
If living a good life doesn't assure good results, why live a good life?
If accepting Jesus means loving everyone, why do you try to change them?
If forgivness is absolute, why do you keep shifting the blame?
Above all, if you know the devil is evil, why do you pay attebtion when he tells you to do something?
I am a sinner. And I like my sins right where they are, thank you.
Tell Jesus I can pay my own debts.

uh...omen? erm no...Amen...thats it

~~~~Closed~~~~

Quote from: Anonymous

uh...omen? erm no...Amen...thats it