News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Chaos Magic

Started by Slarti, November 16, 2003, 01:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

interesting. does carmanac or st. hugh or bella or anyone favoring magick have a rebuttal?

Bella

Note: This is my non-rebuttal.

Well, I wouldn't say that I "favor magic", exactly. More like I believe it works for me.
But then, maybe my definition of magic isn't the same as everyone else's around here.

To me it's very much like prayer, in that I use my intentions and beliefs to effect changes and shifts in my world.
It's like art and tarot cards - a tool that helps me to tap into another layer or dimension of the primal chaos.
I believe that what we perceive as reality is fluid and subject to change. Hence my interest in quantum physics.

According to my theory Hotsuma, Roger and I are all equally correct.
Magic does not exist for them and it does for me.
That's why it's fruitless to rebutt something that is factually correct in their own particular version of the universe.
Just as their assertions that it doesn't exist are fruitless because I know for a fact that it does.

Best of all, Slarti.....you get to create for yourself a version of reality that best suits your nature and your needs.
You might find these articles of interest, as they explain what I'm trying to say much better than I ever could.

Go to www.discover.com and look up the following stories:

DISCOVER Vol. 23 No. 6 (June 2002)
"Does the Universe Exist if We're Not Looking?"
Eminent physicist John Wheeler says he has only enough time
left to work on one idea: that human consciousness shapes
not only the present but the past as well
By Tim Folger "

and.......

"Does Chaos Rule the Cosmos?"
November 1992
by Ian Stewart
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Magic isn't real. Neither is the internet. Neither is Eris. And neither is anyone. In fact 'real' is just a collection of preconceptions glued together by spurious moral codes. Nothing about any of us human beings has anything to do with 'real' except for the fact that we eat, shit, breathe, and have sex. BFD!

You can say magic isn't real and is therefore a fantasy. But that is only because you never experienced it.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Lord_Caramac

Reality is just what the filters in your brain create out of the chaos that surrounds us. Reprogram those filters, and you create a different reality. If you know how to reprogram your brain, that's magick.
May the Fnord be with you!
-><-
"This schland is your schland, this schland is my schland..."
-><-
Bart: How would I go about creating a half man, half monkey type creature?
Miss Krabapple: I'm sorry, that would be playing God.
Bart: God-shmod, I want my monkey man!
-><-
Lord BlackLight
aka Lord Helmet
aka ElfBoi
aka Lord Caramac the Clueless, NPIAB
Knight of the Big Toe
aka His Arrogance Pope Cereal I., KBB, GHMB, DHB
-><-
St. Yogi Bear Cabal
-><-
Jabber: elfboi@jabber.org (NOT email - check www.jabber.org)

DJRubberducky

Quote from: Lord_CaramacIf you know how to reprogram your brain, that's magick.
A couple of years ago, I was at a pagan festival where somebody was teaching the basic techniques of Hand-Actuated Mental Reconditioning.

The class title?  "The HAMR for Witches". :D
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Guido Finucci

Quote from: DJRubberducky... basic techniques of Hand-Actuated Mental Reconditioning.

Do you mean 'slapping them silly until they get a clue'?

Bella

Quote from: Guido Finucci
Quote from: DJRubberducky... basic techniques of Hand-Actuated Mental Reconditioning.

Do you mean 'slapping them silly until they get a clue'?
That would work, too. :twisted:
Maybe even better?

If I remember correctly, she's talking about a therapeutic tool that involves hand movements as a way of changing one's thought patterns.
My former boss uses something similar to that in her work and I always thought it would be interesting to learn more about it.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Guido Finucci

You mean it is a serious thing? Is it mnemonic based (that is to say, entirely mental), physiological (moving certain hand muscles does actually produce changes inthe body) or some combination of the two (like some bits of ninjitsu)?

DJRubberducky

From what I can tell, the idea is to attach thoughts to your hands, so that looking at your hands triggers the thoughts.  The guy said you have to do this all in about ten seconds, because the trick is to "fire up" all the sections of your brain at once and then implant the new thought.

http://www.hamr.com/ is the main website, and the tutorial is pretty much the same as the workshop I attended.  The main trick is to do each thought pattern twice - once with the new thought in the left hand, once with the new thought in the right hand.

I've probably done a rotten job of explaining it, but I can vouch for it.  It's been over a year since I did my self-confidence HAMRs, and I'm only now starting to backslide on it.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Pope Lucifer KSC

Quote from: HotsumaChaos Magic, or anything of the sort (curses, hexes, etc...) isn't real, you all need to pull your heads out of your rectal regions, step out of your fantasy worlds, and accept it.

::Pulls head out of rectal region steps out of fantasy world and gets a middle management job in the downtown office district::

By the Way, thank you for that website with the Hammer stuff. I just did my first one and it's fun to play with that. Personally I do believe in the power to alter reality but I recognize the possibility that it might not be real and everything I have experienced as "Proof" is just a bunshitload of synchronicity. One way or another I will choose to make my life a fairy tale, it's much more fun that way  :)
"If life deals you a bad hand...cheat"
-Great Teacher Onizuka

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

I tend not to argue for the existence of magic simply for the reasons Bella has stated. Besides, reality is filtered through our own experiences and perceptions. Either it all exists, or none of it does.

Slarti

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomNote: This is my non-rebuttal.

Go to www.discover.com and look up the following stories:

DISCOVER Vol. 23 No. 6 (June 2002)
"Does the Universe Exist if We're Not Looking?"
Eminent physicist John Wheeler says he has only enough time
left to work on one idea: that human consciousness shapes
not only the present but the past as well
By Tim Folger "

and.......

"Does Chaos Rule the Cosmos?"
November 1992
by Ian Stewart

i can't read the second one since i'm not registered, but i'll search online for it.

~~~~Closed~~~~

Quote from: Pope Lucifer KSC
Quote from: HotsumaChaos Magic, or anything of the sort (curses, hexes, etc...) isn't real, you all need to pull your heads out of your rectal regions, step out of your fantasy worlds, and accept it.

::Pulls head out of rectal region steps out of fantasy world and gets a middle management job in the downtown office district::

By the Way, thank you for that website with the Hammer stuff. I just did my first one and it's fun to play with that. Personally I do believe in the power to alter reality but I recognize the possibility that it might not be real and everything I have experienced as "Proof" is just a bunshitload of synchronicity. One way or another I will choose to make my life a fairy tale, it's much more fun that way  :)

I'm not even going to ask what it was doing up there to begin with...

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Hotsuma
Quote from: Pope Lucifer KSC

I'm not even going to ask what it was doing up there to begin with...

To each their own...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. Hugh, KSCMagic isn't real. Neither is the internet. Neither is Eris. And neither is anyone. In fact 'real' is just a collection of preconceptions glued together by spurious moral codes. Nothing about any of us human beings has anything to do with 'real' except for the fact that we eat, shit, breathe, and have sex. BFD!

You can say magic isn't real and is therefore a fantasy. But that is only because you never experienced it.

Bah!  Sophistry!

*whack!*
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.