News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

List of Discordian books

Started by Cain, May 09, 2006, 01:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I'll be seeding in 6 hours or so, once my download completes.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on August 05, 2008, 04:30:06 PM
6 hours? The file is less than 50mb.  Are you on dial-up or something? 

Also, there have been exactly 23 seeds for the last 6 hours or so.   :fnord:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on August 05, 2008, 06:17:48 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 05, 2008, 04:30:06 PM
6 hours? The file is less than 50mb.  Are you on dial-up or something? 

Also, there have been exactly 23 seeds for the last 6 hours or so.   :fnord:

Wireless.  Oh so crappy wireless.  Its currently downloading at 1kb/s

Iason Ouabache

I just noticed that there wasn't a copy of Black Iron Prison on Scribd.  That problem has now been alleviated:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6150789/Black-Iron-Prison
    \

Cramulus

rock on!

I just re-read the BIP this morning on the train ride to work, and I gotta say, it still packs a punch.

AFK

Fuck yeah it does!

I mean, yes.   :D
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Abramelin

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 23, 2008, 11:21:59 AM
Fuck yeah it does!

I mean, yes.   :D

it does, particularly on the way to work...

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 12, 2007, 09:50:36 PM
I think that Bob's reading is extremely good and useful... if you know what's going on (or was going on) before the book was written, and then in conjunction with several of his other books. His style can appear insane (but remember, he's only half the author).

The first time through, I recommend people read it as a work of fiction. However, for Discordians, the book is a near perfect study of how to properly pull of a international mindfuck, while at the same time spreading memes, meme bombs and meme clusters... and getting paid for it. Masks of the Illuminati can be considered a cross between a mild mindfuck and a step by step guide on doing mindfucks. The Cosmic Trigger series provides an extremely  interesting journal of self-mindfucking, while discussing the philosophical/psychological causes, effects and principles which make up most of Bob's system of Model Agnosticism. Quantum Psychology and Prometheus Rising provide excellent sources of guides, experiments and exercises which I think may be necessary for a large segment of our species if they hope to break out of prison.

To read Bob for humor can be enjoyable... however, Twain did a better job of satire in fiction. To read Bob as a psychologist or philosopher will probably be frustrating, since he tends to throw out anything you may have learned on the subject. To read Bob as a messiah, or a leader, or a teacher... will result in him coming from the grave to make fun of you,

However, to read Bob as a Discordian, practicing his Discordian rites, rituals and mindfucks (from which we can learn something by observation), then you may see him as a grand sage of absurdity.

And that, I think is a damned fine thing.

(Folks who don't like Bob, usually don't see him from more than one point in a model... not always, but I find it appears common).
I full agree to that statement, nice done ratatosk

RAW is fine.

Iason Ouabache

Out of curiosity can anyone tell me why Principia Entropius is the most popular of the Discordian books I uploaded to Scribd?  It has a hundred more views than everything except for the Book of Eris and has been favorited by several people.  Is St. Syn just that popular?
    \

Xirian

You don't need no stinkin' books to know something about nothin' about someone :evilmad:.  How's about I shut up now?
"Self Test for Paranoia: You know you have it when you
can't think of anything that's your own fault"

"Paranoia will get you through times of no enemies
better than enemies will get you through times of
no paranoia"
Henry Rollins

~Xirian~

the last yatto

http://pokerwithoutcards.com/
search didnt turn this one up and its a damn good read
so much that im stoping on the chapter i am to get it in paper form

even suprized by the intro
NSFTFYS http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1289/rawhb9.png
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cain

Poker Without Cards is pretty good.

Sheered Völva

Quote from: Cain on October 24, 2006, 12:04:13 AM
Thanks, no problem.  Yeah.  Alot of these are fairly recent.  I suggest you read in this rough chronological order:

The Summa
The Apocrypha
The Zenarchist CookBook
The Book of Eris

The Metaclysmia Discordia
The Wise Book of Baloney
The Apotheosis Psychoerotica
The Principia Entropius

Memoirs of a Daydreamer
The Jonesboria Discordia
A Pocket full of Chaos

You'll also notice at least 3 of these books have bits from people on here (actually there are four, but one is for guessing).
I've read all of them but two, but will get to them eventually.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but in mine, a couple of these are great.

As to what I've read of RAW, I generally like the non-fiction more than the fiction.  But I loved Wilson and Shea's The Illuminatus! Trilogy in spite of the apparent non-ending.  I agree with Ratatosk--read it as a Discordian work, and it's great.  (Besides, the really real ending is on page 37 of the Dell trade paperback edition, beginning with "But in Cherry Hills mental hospital in Sunderland, England" and ending with either "'My back hurts,' Mary Lou says," or maybe with "WE'RE GONNA ROCK  ROCK  ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK TO  NIGHT."  But then I also love Monty Python and the Holy Grail, even though it doesn't have a real ending either.

minuspace

The Synthesis of Precognition...  arghth

Caliginos Gnosticos

Since a lot of the sites out there seem to have gone away, I'm in the process of putting up all the Discordian literature that I can find on the Sockmonkey Cabal website. It can be accessed at http://sockmonkeycabal.info/?page_id=35. It's currently incomplete, but I'm working on it. If you see that I'm missing something, let me know, especially if you have a copy of whatever it is that I'm missing. I want to build as complete a free discordian libarary as possible.
I found Eris dancing atop the hill, hair the color of spring rainbows, eyes the color of a hippy commune seen through a kaleidoscope, laughing with a sweet, gentle voice like the sound of bells recorded on a warped record and played back on an over-wound Victrola.
   "My Goddess, why do you laugh?" I asked.
   "Why do you not?" She asked in return.
   "Because life is difficult. The world is not a friendly place." I replied.
   "My poor child. I am your Goddess, and My love for you is without bounds." She giggled "Hear my words and find comfort and wisdom: Laugh in the face of adversity, and I shall laugh with you. Cry in the face of adversity, and I shall laugh at you."
   And I heard Her words and laughed.

The One Right and True Cabal of the Sacred Sock Monkey

Visit The Sock Monkey Cabal Discordian Library

Friar Vampire

Ty for the links. I have been searching for them for some time now.
If organizied religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe.